Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old January 12, 2016   #1
Raiquee
Tomatovillian™

Default Tea garden in zone 5b

Hello,

Looking to start a herb garden by my patio that has a ton of annoying tall flowers that need to go somewhere else.

I am adding chamomile, lemon balm, I already have mint in an enclosed area, etc.

My question is what do I grow to grow the actual tea base or are those not grown in the US? Ie: black tea, grey tea, etc. I love roobis tea (sp.) but not sure what it's plant is! If that makes sense.

Some direction on where to buy would be helpful.
Raiquee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiquee View Post
Hello,

Looking to start a herb garden by my patio that has a ton of annoying tall flowers that need to go somewhere else.

I am adding chamomile, lemon balm, I already have mint in an enclosed area, etc.

My question is what do I grow to grow the actual tea base or are those not grown in the US? Ie: black tea, grey tea, etc. I love roobis tea (sp.) but not sure what it's plant is! If that makes sense.

Some direction on where to buy would be helpful.
That plant is called Tea Camellia sinensis, the other teas aren't really tea they are herbal tea.
There is a trick to processing it that was a secret for many years more or less like you would tobacco or cocoa.
It is a small shrub and isn't very cold hardy.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2016   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Territorial sells a "Green Tea Plant" ...for $24.95...(yikes!)....they say it is hardy to Zone 7, so you would probably want to grow it in a container that you can move indoors.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2016   #4
Raiquee
Tomatovillian™

Ah gotcha, not worth my time then. I'll buy the base and grow the additions! Thanks guys!
Raiquee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2016   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

R. Since you have Lemon Balm and Mint, you are all set for the spring, summer and fall months. All you do is cut a sprig or some leaves from the LB or Mint, pour boiling water over them, and leave to brew for 2-5 mins to make delicious herb tea. You could also add Monarda (bee balm /Oswego Tea) and Agastache (which has an anise taste).

It is possible to dry the leaves for winter use, but my one attempt to dry Lemon Balm in my dehydrator ended up with cooked tasteless leaves .

Another thought for great herb tea is Linden flowers! I have used them fresh and they are superb .

For Chamomile, you would have to harvest the flowers. I plan to grow it this year.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2016   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I had an argument one time with a guy about Tea, now when I say Tea I mean Tea not herbal tea.
He swore up and down that black teas came from different plant that green tea he was also the type that wouldn't let you prove or disprove anything and had to be right.
Black tea more or less is a fermenting/curing process that is very hard to get right.
What you have to do without rotting it is to break down the chlorophyll into starches and or sugars I think.
I am not going to look on line to make for sure.
As for green tea I cant stand the stuff.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2016   #7
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

These are only hardy from zone 9, might still be fun / worthy to try though. They can be grown from seeds.

Lemon Grass (Cymbopogon citratus)

Roselle / Red Sorrell / Jamaican Tea (Hibiscus sabdariffa)

Tulsi Holy Basil (Ocimum sanctum)

Last edited by Aerial; January 13, 2016 at 01:47 PM.
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2016   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I had an argument one time with a guy about Tea, now when I say Tea I mean Tea not herbal tea.
He swore up and down that black teas came from different plant that green tea he was also the type that wouldn't let you prove or disprove anything and had to be right.
Black tea more or less is a fermenting/curing process that is very hard to get right.
What you have to do without rotting it is to break down the chlorophyll into starches and or sugars I think.
I am not going to look on line to make for sure.
As for green tea I cant stand the stuff.

Worth
I like white tea, too. It's the very top part of the plant.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2016   #9
bower
Tomatovillian™

If you like Earl Grey tea, Red Bergamot is the one to grow.
It wasn't as long lived in my garden as the other Bergamots - which taste completely different. I need to find some seeds and replant it... delicious stuff!
Lemon Balm dries okay for me in a paper bag, but the dried stuff will lose flavour pretty quickly. Once you have a patch outdoors it's easy to get a cutting or seedling on the go for a winter window indoors.
Some other flowers that are nice in tea, muskmallows and marshmallows are sweet and produce a ton of flowers easily dried. Red and Black hollyhocks are colourful in tea and go well with fruity teas like rosehip etc. I think the red tastes a bit like strawberry to me. Both colours very healthful, those are anthocyanins.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2016   #10
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Oooooh a good reason to grow hollyhocks! I love them but the leaves always tend to look tatty/diseased.

Linda
Old January 13, 2016   #11
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Oooooh a good reason to grow hollyhocks! I love them but the leaves always tend to look tatty/diseased.

Linda
They are yummy, and the best part is the flowers are nice and big and easy to pick. I just toss them in a paper bag and then close and hang the bag by a twist tie. Odd decor but it keeps the dust off and most herbs dry easily that way without having to use the dehydrator.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2016   #12
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Very cool! Must order red and black HH seeds.....

Linda