Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old August 22, 2009   #1
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

Default pole bean report from the thumb

after a slow start, and no start due to rain, my pole beans are finally starting to produce.

uncle steve: half didn't come up, the other half is doing well. picking almost daily. one plant is a cross, i believe with my uncle steve red streaked variety. it has yellow blossoms instead of purple, beans are streaked a lighter purple.

uncle steve red streak: just starting to set beans. this is a later variety. started these in cells due to weather. vines are in good shape, and hope to have a replenished seed supply.

grandma gina (working name): was down to 6 seeds, 5 came up. i got these from someone on GW. several years ago her grandma brought them with her from italy. they are a large romano type bean, flat pod. nice and meaty, tender even when large. they develop light purple streaking late season. they struggled in the U.P. but are doing well here. i really want to save this one. if i get enough seeds, i'll see if darryl jones wants to trial it.

meraviglia di venezia; some got washed out. the others are producing nice big yellow beans. another favorite.

case knife; washed out except for 2 plants. they are producing, but not heavily.

blue marbutt; washed out except for 1 plant. just starting to set beans. no seeds left, so saving everything i can.

red eye greasy bean from tennessee; most got washed out, so replanted. just starting to set beans. they don't get very big, but they are good.

planted late to fill in gaps. these are just starting to blossom or set beans.

dow purple; pretty vines, and bright purple flowers. no seeds left, so hope to save a few seeds.

fortex; a nice early long filet bean.

musica; got these from darryl jones. romano type i believe. last 3 seeds, so saving seeds if possible.

neckar gold; washed out the first time. replanted, and am just now starting to get some longish yellow beans

so, how are all of your pole beans doing?

keith

Last edited by rxkeith; September 2, 2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: forgot neckar gold
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2009   #2
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

wow keith, uncle steve... streaking? who'd have thunk it?

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote