Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 22, 2014   #1
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Default New to south central NC

LueHello to all in the Carolina's! Just moved to Laurinberg, NC. I believe my soil is very acidic because the hydrangeas are dark blue.
I'm looking for information on a planting calender. I need to send in some soil tests, too.
Are there any local places that sell strawberries, blackberries and blueberries in the fall? I'd like to buy quite a few, so prefer bulk pricing. Any other fruits, especially those that can tolerate shady, forested areas.
If I start planting seeds indoors, when do brassicas get planted?
When do onions grow here and what kind?
I'll need to clear an area as we are mostly forested but I do have a small, partially sunny spot to start.
I'm just loving the cool rainy weather! We got in last Thurs, driving through that wicked storm. We had two moving vans, two car carriers, a truck and horse trailer, three cats, two dogs and a horse. Motorcycle rode in the horse trailer and even the hay rack was packed with stuff.
My brother just sent me a picture of his thermometer reading 121 in Scottsdale. Not missing that one bit! We went fishing our pond all week and have caught a bunch of bass, catfish and blue gill.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014   #2
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Also, is it too late to plant some fall tomatoes, eggplants and peppers? Are there any tomato growers around here with a few plants for sale?
Finally, is it the right time for pole and Lima beans?
My main focus this fall will be to get any perennials such as asparagus and fruits planted. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old July 23, 2014   #3
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

So happy for you Tracy. Your own pond, that sounds like great fun!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014   #4
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Welcome to the state Tracy.
It is probably too late to plant most tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers to get a real harvest before first frost. Even "early" tomatoes will have issues, because there will be a short "ideal" growing window in the late summer early fall time frame. Plus the decreasing daylight really hampers the growth. It can be done, but I don't think it'll be worth your efforts.

Same with pole beans/limas.... too long to get a crop before conditions won't allow them.
Bush beans might work OK. But your best bet will be to plan for the cool season crops. Brassicas do great in the fall here due to the milder weather and reduced pest/disease pressures. Broccoli, spinach, lettuce, etc... all do better here in the fall in my opinion.
Plus, you can try collards this year. They are even better once hit by frost, and can survive the winter.
Peach trees would be an excellent choice to plant in your area if your looking for some fruit bearing trees.

Oh, and yes, with the over abundance of pine trees in your area, your soil will be quite acidic!

Good luck!

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014   #5
friedgreen51
Tomatovillian™

Default Vegetable Planting Guide For NC

Hi Tracy,
Welcome to N.C.
Here is a reference from NCSU that I use all the time as a guide for planting dates:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...tingguide.html

Good luck with your gardening. On the peppers, you could always try a few in pots and bring them in on cold nights. I do this sometimes and squeeze out an extra month of growing. The problem will be in finding any plants.

Deborah
friedgreen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2014   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Tracydr, looks like you are about 2 hours east of me and roughly parallel. I don't know if you still qualify as the "piedmont" area of the carolinas, or if you are more coastal. Looking at the Clemson gardening guide, I think you'd be more central.

Clemson is showing the first two weeks in August as ideal for beets, cucumbers, beans, carrots, squash, cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts, etc. Later in August, it's possible to plant lettuce, spinach, etc. We're right at the tail end of good planting dates for peppers, and just past the date for tomatoes.

My concern about a fall crop of tomatoes is always, even if you got some, the cool nights would rob them of flavor. You could maybe do some cherry tomatoes. I will be planting peppers in the next week or so and plan to protect them with a portable greenhouse / cold frame so they hold out until harvest.

This is my first year gardening in the Carolinas, but 5th year gardening overall.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2014   #7
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
So happy for you Tracy. Your own pond, that sounds like great fun!
It's amazing!
Only two drawbacks to this place. Not enough sun, may have to clear a spot for gardens.
No horse setup. It will cost quite a lot to get fence, seed the pasture and a barn for the horses. Neighbor is helping by allowing me to graze his pasture and two of my three are on broodmare lease in TX. But, we're strapped for money after spending 11K moving, down payment, etc. I haven't worked the past year and hubby just finished school. His new job at UNC doesn't include moving and I'm still waiting on Credentialing to start my job.
In the meantime, lots of unpacking. I have to scrub each cupboard and shelf because the house we bought was empty for three years and is filthy.
We love the place and the house so it will all be worth it in the end.
Old July 24, 2014   #8
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone. I will concentrate on cool crops. I will take a bit of time out of unpacking tomorrow and start some seeds. Then, see where I'll plant and maybe throw some chard, beet and carrot seeds down.
We have some great vegetable stands around so I'm not in as much of a rush as I would be. Lots of fresh beans, peas and peanuts. Along with tomatoes and corn. Mmm!