Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 10, 2015   #1
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Default FYI : Copy:OSSI-designated list of Dwarf Project varieties

(This is a copy of a post in the Cross Hemisphere Project forum, but I also need this info to be in a place where non-members can read it, so here seems logical.)

The list below is for reference so that everyone will know which varieties from the Dwarf Tomato Project are being released via the Open Source Seed Initiative OSSI designation.

In a nutshell, this OSSI designation is where breeders have made an agreement with OSSI for their new varieties to be 'open source' via a pledge which should be passed down with seeds of these varieties for future generations.
The OSSI Pledge

You have the freedom to use these OSSI-Pledged seeds in any way you choose. In return, you pledge not to restrict others’ use of these seeds or their derivatives by patents or other means, and to include this pledge with any transfer of these seeds or their derivatives.
The OSSI website lists the breeders and the varieties that have been pledged along with the seed companies who have made a commitment to sell the seeds with an OSSI designation. At this stage only the new releases from my crosses are involved, but hopefully other breeders may choose to release their varieties in future via OSSI too.

Varieties designated as OSSI are:

Adelaide Festival
Coorong Pink (for release 2016)
Dwarf Golden Gypsy
Dwarf Lemon Ice
Dwarf Mahogany
Dwarf Orange Cream
Dwarf Russian Swirl
Dwarf Scarlet Heart
Kangaroo Paw Brown
Kangaroo Paw Green
Kangaroo Paw Red (for release in 2016)
Kangaroo Paw Yellow
Kookaburra Cackle
Loxton Lad
Loxton Lass
Mallee Rose (for release in 2016)
Maralinga
Sturt Desert Pea
Tanunda Red
Uluru Ochre
Waratah
Wilpena (for release in 2016)

BIG thanks to all of you who have worked on these varieties with me and named some of them too. We have been benefiting biodiversity in the process!

Patrina
Old December 10, 2015   #2
Desert Jonathan
Tomatovillian™

Hello Patrina.
I live in Beautiful HOT, DRY Tucson Arizona, USA. I'm finding that Dwarf Type Tomato plants grow very well in the Desert. Apparently the smaller plant is under less stress from the dry heat than a larger 6 or 8 foot vine is under. Thank you for making these available to those of us who are Desert Rats.

-Jonathan.
Desert Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2015   #3
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Agreed Jonathan, they performed well in the ground in hot and dry Adelaide where I lived for the first 8 years of the project. Where I now live I get a bit more summer rain and decided to quit watering to see what would happen during the last 2 and a half months of the season. Even though they were planted on a slope, they continued to produce without watering.

They can cope with it if they are planted in the ground, but in containers they more easily get stressed so I avoid container growing whenever possible. I just don't get good results in containers - probably because I don't water enough!

Patrina
Old December 12, 2015   #4
Desert Jonathan
Tomatovillian™

I am SLOWLY but surely learning how to container grow peppers and a tomato or two. I've had really good experience's growing Punta Banda in a large pot. It only grows to about 24 inches tall so it likes being pot bound.

Pm me an address and I'll send you some fresh Punta Banda seeds.

-Jonathan.
Desert Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote