Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 31, 2016   #1
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Is it too late to plant winter squash now?

So we are in cool coastal Vancouver, BC.
A bad compost purchase ruined many of my tomato seedlings, and worst of all, time. I can not start new tomatoes now, it's too late. I managed to plant 400 plants, only 1/2 of the land I have to use. All pretty much are paste varieties, all will be donated to a local chef with a kitchen, who runs a very successful training program (cooking) for the city's less advantaged.

Now I have some spare space. I would like to plant a produce that is easy to care for, productive, and has good storage potential. So I thought of winter squash, some varieties (kabocha) state 85 days of maturity. Is it true for our climate, that is the question.

Is it too late if I plant some seeds this weekend? Anyone who's grown squashes?
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #2
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

you are in perfect time - check out West Coast Seeds growing info

https://www.westcoastseeds.com/shop/...-squash-seeds/

https://www.westcoastseeds.com/wp-co...rts_Veg_BC.pdf

Last edited by PNW_D; May 31, 2016 at 07:20 PM.
PNW_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #3
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

No, it is not too late if you are quick. I am in Maple Ridge and I would do it, I would start them inside though and put them out as plants, not direct seed. Pick one that has an early time if you can. Avoid the hubbards they will take too long, ditto to most butternut like Waltham ,but Ok if you have some of the earlies, and again ditto to most of the Aussie blues they take a bit too long to be sure..

Regarding the days to maturity you have mentioned it rather depends on where you read it and it is from date of transplant not from seed.

West Coast Seeds have a few in that same maturity bracket. Sweet Mama is a very nice one and stores very well.They have a a great Kabocha type called First Taste which is an early, but it is small. Usually the spaghetti ones mature sooner .Bush delicate is early, it also stores very well. the other Delicata types take a bit longer.

I used to be a squash collector and there are very few I haven't grown but since moving I have very little space now. Winter squash are my first love though so I envy you with all that space.

Although I do start earlier than locally suggested, technically speaking you are only running about three weeks behind, generally one starts up to the middle of May inside for planting out the middle of June so I wouldn't worry too much.

Actually if it was me I would probably take a chance on some of the later ones too if space is not an issue. They are more or less self tending and the seeds are not expensive and the vines will keep your ground clean. If we have a good summer they would probably make it without difficulty . a poor one and some may not. Personally I would take the gamble.

All that space, my glorious blues would have a field day..pardon the pun.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #4
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Jeannine Anne, that's exactly the advice I was looking for. I will stop by Manderville tomorrow after work to get seeds, and starts them right away, in pots.

Let me know if you want to join me to garden there in the future. A bit far to drive, in Surrey, GVRD land. I don't want to invite random volunteers, but an experienced gardening partner would be fun. The soil is great, no rocks at all, I guess it must be the Fraser River deposits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
No, it is not too late if you are quick. I am in Maple Ridge and I would do it, I would start them inside though and put them out as plants, not direct seed. Pick one that has an early time if you can. Avoid the hubbards they will take too long, ditto to most butternut like Waltham ,but Ok if you have some of the earlies, and again ditto to most of the Aussie blues they take a bit too long to be sure..

Regarding the days to maturity you have mentioned it rather depends on where you read it and it is from date of transplant not from seed.

West Coast Seeds have a few in that same maturity bracket. Sweet Mama is a very nice one and stores very well.They have a a great Kabocha type called First Taste which is an early, but it is small. Usually the spaghetti ones mature sooner .Bush delicate is early, it also stores very well. the other Delicata types take a bit longer.

I used to be a squash collector and there are very few I haven't grown but since moving I have very little space now. Winter squash are my first love though so I envy you with all that space.

Although I do start earlier than locally suggested, technically speaking you are only running about three weeks behind, generally one starts up to the middle of May inside for planting out the middle of June so I wouldn't worry too much.

Actually if it was me I would probably take a chance on some of the later ones too if space is not an issue. They are more or less self tending and the seeds are not expensive and the vines will keep your ground clean. If we have a good summer they would probably make it without difficulty . a poor one and some may not. Personally I would take the gamble.

All that space, my glorious blues would have a field day..pardon the pun.
Old May 31, 2016   #5
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the confirmation. I was looking at the same site as well, just want to be sure. Since this is not my own, I can't let it fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_D View Post
Old May 31, 2016   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

No in your PNW zone, me thinks.
Here in my area (PNW also) , there is a farmer who grows all kinds of pumpkins, mostly for Halloween. He has not yet planted any or at least nothing sprouted.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #7
berryman
Tomatovillian™

I will be planting my winter squash this week. Seeds direct in the ground.
I always wait till memorial day and they seems to do fine.
berryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #8
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Wow, that ground sounds just great and a wonderful offer but sadly I can no longer garden like I used to, I gave up my community garden plots just a couple of years ago. My husband who has Alzheimers was my muscle and sadly hegot very much worse and it was too much for me, that also coincided with me moving from Coquitlam to Maole Ridge and it was just too far to drive almost daily. That was GVRD land too. Now I just have a row of raised beds , a beautiful greenhouse and a lot of pots!!

My family, that is me, my daughter and SIL live together and we have been looking for some acreage for some time but we so far have not been able to find what we want, but I still have hopes.

I love winter squash, the last time I was at my garden I sowed a huge patch of assorted blue squash, all the same family but different varieties knowing full well they would have all cross pollinate. I intended to keep doing it just for the fun of seeing what came up. I still have seeds that are viable as only three years old, if you would like some PM your address and I can get them to you by the weekend. I would have to look back in my diary but of the top of my head there was Triamble, Blue Hubbard, Queensland Blue Jarradale,Blue Banana,Sibleyand a few more so there may be quite an interesting mix. All maximas anyway.

I can remember a time when space was not a problem for my squash fetish but that was when we were on acreage before and I loved it.

Good luck with you seeds etc and let me know if you want the mixed ones.

When you go for seeds get West Coast UCHIKI RED KURI, they are only about 80 days about 2 1/2-3 lbs
. great little squash , very early and ,most Acorn type will mature early to, certainlu Table Queen will.
XX Jeannine

Last edited by Jeannine Anne; June 1, 2016 at 12:45 AM. Reason: extra info
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2016   #9
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Just sent you a message, Jeannine Anne.

What about sunflowers, for edible seeds, is it late to plant some with the squashes, since they won't take up extra room, and can co-exist? I saw sunflowers up to a foot tall now in my neighborhood, I'm pretty sure it is too late for that.