Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 18, 2009   #1
creister
Tomatovillian™

Default Lillian's Red Kansas Paste

What a wonderful tomato! This is my first year to grow it, and I am very impressed. Taste is very, very good, plant is very productive, and seems to be quite hardy as well. It is a new must grow for me.

Fruit sizes were 14 oz on the high end, (only 1 fruit), and a few smaller fruits about 4, rest between 7-9 oz. Others who have grown it, what are your experiences and impressions?
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2009   #2
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

Glad you like it. I grew it last year and was very pleased with the taste. My buddy Bully had me interested in this variety because his newest baby girl was named Lillian! He no longer logs in to this post nor will bother with my calls so I wish him and his family well, but apparently he is no longer interested in the tomato forums. I just wish him well. I miss his humor and companionship.

Duane
Old July 18, 2009   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I've grown it but I don't consider it to be a paste bc it's too juicy.

And I never rememembed ANY fruits being as large as close to a pound so checked what some others in the SSE YEarbook got and most get between 4-6 oz as I did.

What shape of fruits are you getting, as in, does it meet the specs for the variety?

just curious.
Old July 19, 2009   #4
creister
Tomatovillian™

I tried to post some pics, but I need to manually resize the pictures? Anyway, they are not globe or beefsteak shape. Much like the Sandhill description, put I haven't seen much of a nipple or point on the end. Also seems to have slight ribbing on the shoulders. I know the pics would be better, will try to get them on here.

I was quite surprised by the one large fruit, maybe I mis read the scale, as none of the others have been close to that.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2014   #5
Noreaster
Tomatovillian™

Well, here we are 5 years later, and Lillian's Red Kansas is this year's first
to ripen.....only 58 days to first one this past Thursday.

Picked a few more today which will be fully ripe in a couple days. It's a small fruit, but very tasty...and a MONSTER plant which produces and produces.

Yay, the heirloom wait is OVER !
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote