Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 26, 2016   #16
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Really interesting project and article, thanks for sharing it! The worlds needs more bats I reckon.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2016   #17
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Replacing humans with robots is the future. The factory where I-phones are made just replaced half of its workers with robots.

I used to be a day trader in the stock market. That profession was eliminated by computer trading programs, over ten years ago. Before computers, the emotional humans would make stocks take long intraday movements up or down. But computers don't have emotions, and after they took over the majority of trading, stocks stopped making big moves. Computers sell into a spike and buy into a dip, because they do not have fear or greed like us silly humans.

Self-driving cars/equipment as just one technology, is going to eliminate almost 20% of the remaining jobs in the US. Border patrol drones and robocops are next.

In the future, there will be no jobs left for humans other than those related to designing the newest robots.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2016   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What are we going to do?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2016   #19
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

White nose disease is decimating the world bat population. Let's hope they come up with a vaccine or cure quickly!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016   #20
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Kurt that's just awesome! I wish I could have seen that. It sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorTomate View Post
Kurt that's just awesome! I wish I could have seen that. It sounds like they were scoping you fishin hole!

Worth, I had to look this up. I love the south! The judge also dismissed the case and he was found innocent to protect his right to privacy! Merica!
It is not uncommon for the guides here and in other backcountry,mangrove fishing holes to confiscate all cell phones for the Gps info it might contain.A good guide will sell his blackbook( Gps /fish locations,live bait locations etc)at retirement for large sums of cash.My guide uses colored ribbons in the mangroves for his honeyholes.
Old May 28, 2016   #21
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

The FAA regulates drones and considers them aircraft. Shooting one down or simply damaging one is a felony punishable with up to 20 years in prison. It's only a matter of time until the federal government prosecutes someone.

No one (excluding our govt and LEO) uses drones for spying. They're not exactly quiet at low altitudes, and unless you spent $3,000+, video quality when zoomed in is as mediocre as the cameras they come with. If you want to spy on someone, you buy this camera for $600 and mount it on a tripod. No one will know they are being observed when you are miles away.

A far more effective tool for spying than a drone: cell phone. Everyone carries one with a camera, and no one objects. Plenty of apps available that record audio/video with the screen off. The fear of being spied on by a non-govt drone is simply irrational given current technology.
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2016   #22
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

so you are telling me the $40 drone I can buy off of groupon is regulated by the FAA? where does one draw the line between toy and drone?
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #23
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Did anyone else see the national TV news feed tonight where eagles were being professionally trained in the Netherlands to take down drones? I can't remember which network it was on, but the footage was awesome of bald eagles swooping down in flight and grabbing the drones with their claws.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #24
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Do they have any for sale and will they ship to USA.Now my mind is working on the Ravens that I kinda water,feed and have been nurturing for years.Maybe as we do in fishing here in FL. "Catch,tag,release"I can get some IP addresses and then go do some real" hunting".The drones are becoming prevalent here,they are driving me and the mutts bonkers!
Old May 30, 2016   #25
vicrider
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyhat View Post
so you are telling me the $40 drone I can buy off of groupon is regulated by the FAA? where does one draw the line between toy and drone?
fonseca is right. Also If the toy you just bought weights more then 250 grams (approx 8oz) and you are over the age of 13 you need to register with the faa, if under the age of 13 somebody else needs to register before it leaves the ground. These regs just dont apply to what most people think what a drone is (quadcopter) it apply's to all radio controlled Planes, helicopters and gliders that are flown as a hobby.

https://drone-registration.net/?gcli...OV-hoCOk3w_wcB

RC Planes is another hobby that I'm into and have been since the early 70's. Hopefully the hobby has a future.
vicrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

They required a CB radio license at one time to.
I never got one.

What are you in for?
Armed robbery what are you in for?
Flying a toy helicopter without a license.

And everybody move to the other end of the bench.

Taken from Arlo Guthrie's Alice's restaurant.

Worth
Old May 30, 2016   #27
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonseca View Post
It's only a matter of time until the federal government prosecutes someone.
There have been a few near-collision incidents between drones and commercial aircraft. Should that ever happen, the drone doo-doo will really hit the fan.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #28
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

We had a local man whose drone crashed out on a lake back in late December. We were having an unusually mild winter. Fool went out after it and fell through the ice. Lucky for him, he was able to get himself out. They never did say what happened to his Christmas gift.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #29
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
There have been a few near-collision incidents between drones and commercial aircraft. Should that ever happen, the drone doo-doo will really hit the fan.
Do you know of any verified near misses? The most recent supposed drone near miss carried the disclaimer "Possibly a drone, or it could have been a plastic bag". Some idiot will eventually go to jail for a very long time. But intentionally crashing a drone into a plane after it has taken off, even if you know the exact flight path, is exceedingly difficult with non-military technology.

The record speed for a quadcopter is around 90mph (50mph is a fast, race-worthy hobby grade copter). An airplane is already moving at twice that speed when it takes off, and 500-600mph in flight, tens of thousands of feet (often at 30,000'+) in the air. How is a quadcopter going to reach those heights? It can't. The record height achieved by a quadcopter is around 5,000'. That is also beyond the transmission limits of the 2.4ghz transmitters/receivers used in the hobby, unless you build a custom antenna setup or move to a lower frequency.

In this hypothetical situation, an attempt would have to be made close to an airport during landing or takeoff, where security is higher and signals are monitored. I am skeptical that this would be a successful avenue for a terrorist attack, much less for someone doing something stupid with a drone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
What are you in for?
Armed robbery what are you in for?
Flying a toy helicopter without a license.
Technically, I now need to register to fly the kite I use to carry and drop my fishing line/rig past the breakers, because it weighs more than 250g with payload.

An issue that will affect privacy rights in the future is the fact that we don't own the airspace over our private property. A legal argument can be made based on precedent that 87' of it is ours, but the FAA disagrees. Your yard is national airspace. In any case, someone can fly a drone 100' over your house any time and it is perfectly legal.

I am more concerned about law enforcement monitoring our activities from heights where you would not even be aware, than someone recording outside my window. A drone powerful enough to lift even a lightweight GoPro sounds like a swarm of angry hornets in a metal trashcan.
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #30
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

In Alaska you dont even own the soil in your yard but for maybe a foot from what I was told.
In other words if you find gold 10 feet down it belongs to the state.
At least this is what I was told.
Worth