Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 30, 2016   #61
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
I try to rinse after every use, no matter if the knife is small or large.. Especially acidic fruits can really 'eat it up' and cause damage..
This is why you dont buy a 10 dollar friend a 200 dollar kitchen knife.

I have actually told people at my house they cant use my carbon steel knives and hand them cheap stainless serrated ones.
Oh no put that one back up here is one you can use and hand them the Betty Crocker knife.
Other people I will hand the good knives to and say only the best for you.
Yep real jerk but it is me that has to take care of them.

A good friend of mine let some guy use his 1 1l2 pipe tap.
He told the guy while he was using it if he wanted to buy it and how much it cost.
The guy said no.
My friend said then get those %$%# pliers off of it or you will be buying it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #62
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

The same goes for any pans & pots and other cooking utensils.. Not everyone has the wisdom how to take care of things properly - and age does not automatically add it... Sometimes quite the contrary

I'm fussy, but for me, it's a natural thing to take care of the little stuff. Why not to take care of the small details, they are the ones that can make a difference one day.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #63
bower
Tomatovillian™

hmmm I wonder how stains could be removed without going back to the knife maker. yyep I "borrowed" a cleaver my son left lying around here and used it to chop up kelp.... it didn't clean up so good. Advice appreciated... I've just been hiding the thing.
Other than that I've never seen a stain made on a knife by bread or cheese or.... other harmless foods.
Raw fish, raw meat and hot peppers are the things that get knives washed right away in my house.

Worth your handmade serrated knife looks AWESOME.
I think serrated knives must work best for me because they are not sharpened for righties.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #64
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
hmmm I wonder how stains could be removed without going back to the knife maker. yyep I "borrowed" a cleaver my son left lying around here and used it to chop up kelp.... it didn't clean up so good. Advice appreciated... I've just been hiding the thing.
Other than that I've never seen a stain made on a knife by bread or cheese or.... other harmless foods.
Raw fish, raw meat and hot peppers are the things that get knives washed right away in my house.

Worth your handmade serrated knife looks AWESOME.
I think serrated knives must work best for me because they are not sharpened for righties.
Any good knife sharpener worth his or her salt can polish it out.
Stay away from the folks that do it on a belt sander it needs to be a polishing wheel unless they are well equipped with very fine grit like 600.
They sell these white things that are polishing pads or blocks at the store they work great.
My knife will work for left and right handed people as it is beveled on both sides.
worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote