Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 31, 2016   #1
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Default New beginnings.

So after some unexpected situations and having to move recently, and after having already started a ton of plants from seed mind you, I wasn't quite sure what this years gardening adventures would look like. As luck would have it I was able to get the last plot in my local community garden after being on a wait list for the better part of 8 months. It was late notice, and it put me behind in terms of normal planting times for CA, but beggars cant be choosers in these situations. I'm blessed for the opportunity to connect with the dirt, and I plan to make the best of it. These are just a few pictures within in the last 2 weeks. Some of my bed/plot/ some of the community garden itself. It was completely overgrown with sweet peas prior to plant out. Its a good thing I have an army of small minions to assist in my duties. All of my started plants, tomatoes and peppers have been moved to the garden bed and will continue to seed and plant for the next few weeks.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #2
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

a few more....
Old May 31, 2016   #3
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful pictures and helpers. Thanks for sharing! Those tomato plants look nice and healthy.

Jen
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #4
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Very nice! Good luck in the new location. One thing my garden lacks atm is flowers, I noticed Yarrow which is a very good plant to have around for beneficials. Kids are great helpers too!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #5
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful pictures and helpers indeed! I hope you have a great season.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

That looks so nice.

So far, our young helpers think our main garden is a race track
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #7
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

What a nice looking location although your little helpers and all the plants are the best looking. : ) Hope you have a great season.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #8
flyfiishn
Tomatovillian™

Fantastic! Always helps to have some good hands, my kids like to get their hands dirty too, its good for them........ grandma always said...... you gotta eat a little dirt in life.
flyfiishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #9
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful community garden! The sweet peas must have been nice to see rather then the usual weeds and bermuda grass which spring up when a community garden hasn't been worked for awhile. Your plants look strong and healthy and your workers look like they're having fun. Nice pics....
rhoder551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #10
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Gang. Its uncertainties aside, this year should shape up to be a good one. Kids really enjoy the time wandering, exploring and learning. I hope everyone has an enjoyable season as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Very nice! Good luck in the new location. One thing my garden lacks atm is flowers, I noticed Yarrow which is a very good plant to have around for beneficials. Kids are great helpers too!
Tons of Yarrow here and in CA in general, all colors. Its drought tolerant and grows in abundance in the wild. Great for beneficials and my lady uses it in tea.

ALittleSalt - Trust me...I know exactly what you mean.

flyfishin - Grandma knows best.

Rhoder - Thank you! The sweet peas were a much more fragrant alternative, even had some poppies mixed in. One of the pictures also shows an Aspargus plant that gets to live for one more season to see what he can produce, as well as a mature artichoke plant that we've already harvested a few from before they start to bloom. (happening now)
Old May 31, 2016   #11
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

What a wonderful polt I envy you. and such charming workers too, you have it all there.

Those sweet peas look like the perennial ones I used to have years ago, they came up very year along a wire fence
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #12
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful snap shots
glimpses flowing cheerfully.
Young helpers delight.

Very nice gardening project, I know this is going to go well. And you have a nice touch for creating a story with pictures.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote