Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old July 11, 2008   #1
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Default Getting impatient!

I've got several fruits forming, but one is the star of the show...I need to get a new picture of it, but it's a beautiful white with purple streaks on it. It's about as big as a large orange and growing FAST! I can't believe I've never grown eggplant before...next year I'll definitely grow some heirlooms and thai varieties. Not sure what we'll do with the first one...any suggestions?
Old July 11, 2008   #2
Alberta
Tomatovillian™

I too am waiting so very patiently for my eggplants!! No real suggestion what to do with the first one, just enjoy it. Hoping we all have a great eggplant crop,
Alberta
Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2008   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

We ate our first eggplant and zucchini of the year last night--Prosperosa and Round of Parma. This is not the healthiest way to eat them but they're really tasty. I dip them in beaten egg and coat them with Italian bread crumbs and then pan fry them in hot oil. I drain them on paper towels and sprinkle with salt and parmesan while they're still hot. Then I use some marinara as a dip. Yum!! I also like to make eggplant parmesan and add zucchini. I alternate slices in the pan and go on as usual. And there's always ratatouille, which is a great choice if you also grow tomatoes (of course), peppers, zucchini and onions. Last summer I started to make a slow cooker version of it and I posted the recipe in the cooking section. Have fun!
Old July 11, 2008   #4
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

We are doing our first Ratatouille of the year this evening - am about to pick fruits from Antigua, Udmalbet, Ichiban F2 and Cloud 9 F2. Growing these in pots really speeds them along! We finally have enough tomatoes, peppers, and squash - and eggplant- to make the dish!
Old July 29, 2008   #5
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Well...I've cooked it two ways...one delish, the other...ehh.

I found a recipe for a eggplant casserole, added some italian sausage, green beans, zucchini, garlic, cubed eggplant, and cheese. Put all of that after sauteeing it over a bed of bread crumbs and baked....wow! It was 10 times better than I thought it would be.

Also tried to fry it like we do zukes...peeled it, saleted it, rinsed it (not enough I guess), dried it off and deep fried it until crispy. It was good, but wayyyyy too salty!

I've got two more of these beauties in the fridge.....going to try an italian dish with some fresh tomatoes and basil.

Next year, I plan on planting a LOT more aubergine!
Old July 29, 2008   #6
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I think one of the advantages of growing your own eggplant is not having to salt and soak them. If you pick them before they get seedy, there is no bitterness. Try to pick them while the fruit is still very shiny and they feel heavy for their size.

I fried five Louisiana Long Green tonight along with some yellow pattypan squash. I had made a big batch of spaghetti sauce in the slow cooker today and we had the veggies with pasta and salad. Yum! Keep experimenting and you'll find a few your family loves eggplant. Have fun!