Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 18, 2016   #1
DeanAg05
Tomatovillian™

Default Help my Tomatillos

Hard to find pics of problems of Tomatillos (probably because they are so easy... heh), but wondering if anyone has any ideas.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...hint=folder%2c
DeanAg05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2016   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

The last picture in the link shows a few white dots that are probably some insect with a proboscis that has sucked the fluids out of the leaf at those points. Spray something for critters like stink bugs, etc.
The Muddy Bucket Farm

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2016   #3
DeanAg05
Tomatovillian™

I forgot this one in the link...

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cjpg
Old May 18, 2016   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Tomatillos generally have a slightly lighter color of green to their foliage. So, beyond what I posted above, I can't find anything else wrong. Perhaps you could tell us what your concerns are and we wouldn't have to do anymore guessing about what you need.
The Muddy Bucket Farm

Old May 18, 2016   #5
DeanAg05
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Tomatillos generally have a slightly lighter color of green to their foliage. So, beyond what I posted above, I can't find anything else wrong. Perhaps you could tell us what your concerns are and we wouldn't have to do anymore guessing about what you need.
Well, the color is basically coming out of the leaves starting at the tip and working its way back - that didn't seem normal to me. But then again, I thought I'd post a pic and see if anyone else thought it looked off...

The last photo shows a few of the leaves with this gradation in color front and center, with another tomatillo to the left with much darker green leaves without the change in color over the length of the leaf. Of the two of three plants this is affecting noticeably (center and right in the last pic) it is virtually all leaves except the very new growth. Also, the plant that has still retained a darker green color to the left has set fruit, where as the other two have not.
Old May 18, 2016   #6
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Tomatillos, for me anyway, are a weedy mass that i ignore. They sprawl and always look like they are struggling. Not even a natural plant for the NEast cool climate. No mater the season, they thrive every year, and i find massive harvest come late August-Sept. Just when everything is dying off, they are droopy leafed survivors.
Similar with cucumbers when the plants look leggy and scrawny i find dozens of fruit tangled around the beans.
Disease is rare for me. And must add they never look 'healthy' like tomato concerns.

I'll watch your search if you do find it is something to look out for.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2016   #7
joseph
Tomatovillian™

The leaf color looks normal to me...

In a few weeks, when the plants really start flowering, you can expect some of the leaves to turn yellow to match the color of the flower petals. I think of that as the plants way of attracting more pollinators.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2016   #8
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

I agree, the leaves will look off in color, but the plants will produce a lot tomatillos.
Old May 18, 2016   #9
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Growing husk tomatoes and tomatillos side by side this year,they are planted out already, neither are liking this cold weather...
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2016   #10
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

The only other thing that comes to my mind is too much fertilizer. Overfertilization shows up as the outer edges of the foliage will start turning a lighter color that decreases in "lightness" as you move away from the edges. The only help for this that I know of is to make sure of good drainage and wash out the soil with lots of water. If the plant is in a container, you can repot it with fresh mix.

If the plant is in the soil, wash out becomes a real problem. In a well tilled garden, you can try removing as much of the soil around the plant base as is possible and then bring in soil or mix that you know hasn't been fertilized. With your raised beds, this is possible.

Even in perfectly normal growth, there will be a noticeable difference in the foliage colors between the edges of the leaves and the point on the leaf where the leaf stem connects. Your whole garden looks very healthy.
The Muddy Bucket Farm

Last edited by ContainerTed; May 19, 2016 at 09:02 AM.