Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 11, 2014   #1
Wulfespirit
Tomatovillian™

Default Zone 3 catching up!

Took a few photos tonight... and yes I'm well aware you're all way ahead of me.. but I'm in zone 3 (on a good year!).

I have about 50 bushes that look just like this - need to do something about it this week!

Cabbages are hidden amongst beans and buckwheat and it looks like over the past week some moths have finally found a few of the plants. Hopefully the heads mature before damage gets too crazy.

With the last several weeks of heat and sun my tomatoes have become quite the jungle many of the bushes 5 feet tall and just as wide. Need to start pruning/topping/suckering pronto.

A few blushers..

The moths have yet to touch any of my kale this year... the below plant is growing amidst beans and chard while the next one is the largest patch I planted (surrounded by carrots and chard).

Peppers are doing alright.. neither great nor poor, I'll be harvesting some greens soon for various soups and stir fries.

Chard's been doing great. I've been making chard burritos with the large leaves regularly (yum).

Some random lettuce, squash, and onion...

Old August 11, 2014   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Great garden! You can't be far from me

what type of tomatoes are those?
karenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2014   #3
yardn_gardn
Tomatovillian™

Location: Central Idaho at 3200 elev. in zone 5b, maybe 100 frost free days

Just fabulous. Thanks for sharing.
Old August 12, 2014   #4
Wulfespirit
Tomatovillian™

Bet we're super close, Karen.. I'm a few minutes away from Stony Plain.

The cherry toms are Golden Treasure and the big guy is Sakharnyi Pudovichok (thanks to Tanya for that one). How's your garden doing?
Old August 12, 2014   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Well there you go. St. Albert here. And it is a banner year in my garden so far. Heat and rain and dodging the hail so far knock on wood. Nice to meet you. Keep posting
KarenO
Old August 12, 2014   #6
salix
Tomatovillian™

Lovely garden - it is just at about the same stage as mine. Didn't see a single cabbage butterfly until I took off the Reemay cover in July, now they're everywhere. Got most of the broccoli and cauliflower processed already, so that's alright. The cabbage can handle it - have you noticed that red cabbage doesn't seem to suffer from their attentions?
Old August 12, 2014   #7
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I totally agree about the red cabbage Salix. I was being fancy one year and planted red and green cabbage alternating in a row. the green cabbages were ruined and the red were completely untouched. The butterflies must know their babies are green and want them to have the camouflage of the green cabbage. I find they tend to leave kale alone for the most part as well.
Karen
Old August 12, 2014   #8
Wulfespirit
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by salix View Post
Lovely garden - it is just at about the same stage as mine. Didn't see a single cabbage butterfly until I took off the Reemay cover in July, now they're everywhere. Got most of the broccoli and cauliflower processed already, so that's alright. The cabbage can handle it - have you noticed that red cabbage doesn't seem to suffer from their attentions?
Thanks!

I hear you. My broccoli looks about the same as the cabbage - attacked but not massacred. Was a little late getting it into the ground.. I'd say the heads are still at least a week away from being harvestable. Didn't see any cabbage moths until recently as well... (whereas in past years they were all over whatever they found).

Took the approach of spreading my brassica plantings widely over my land this year and so far so good - the first year I moved here my kale was a bunch of long, bare stems at this time.
Old August 13, 2014   #9
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Pictures like those are always inspiring. Keep them coming.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2014   #10
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Nice garden, nice pics. Bravo.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote