Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 22, 2007   #1
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Default YOUR neck of the Woods

I figure it might be interesting if the other members here at Tville could post some pictures of "Their Neck of the Woods".
Michael Johnson, I am waiting.
Ami
Old June 22, 2007   #2
jdwhitaker
Tomatovillian™

Andrews, Texas--last week. Would you believe the countryside has actually "greened up" nicely due to some good rain in the spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garden2.jpg (134.1 KB, 52 views)
jdwhitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2007   #3
tomatoaddict

Bean Poles

Garlic in the Spring

Front of my house

Garden before planting

Husband tilling for me

My new Hydrangea, Angel Eyes

Red Peonies
Old June 23, 2007   #4
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

My gardens:

Potting shed and pond:

The view from our bedroom window:

From the back yard:

From the dock at our cabin:

These others are all within 20 miles of home:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00180a.JPG (40.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00545.JPG (28.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01103.JPG (48.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01130.JPG (34.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01404.JPG (33.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01406.JPG (28.4 KB, 19 views)
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2007   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

JD, Sherry and Taddict very nice. Got Texas, Alaska and Taddict where do you hail from. Great pictures and like taking a trip around the USA. Keep them comming. Great stuff Ami
Old June 23, 2007   #6
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Picture taken in late May, and one of our few fabulous days weather-wise in the last while. This view of False Creek used to include our mountains

And, within walking distance to the left:
Stanley Park is a 404.9 hectare (1,000 acre) urban park bordering downtown Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. It is the largest city-owned park in Canada and the third largest in North America.

And, within walking distance to the right:
The Downtown Eastside (DTES) is the oldest neighbourhood in Vancouver and the poorest postal code in Canada according to Statistics Canada.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2625.jpg (174.6 KB, 29 views)
Old June 23, 2007   #7
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Some pics - front of our house from the road, various garden shots, looking out different directions from our yard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FromFront2June23_07.JPG (191.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg HouseFrontJune23_07.JPG (127.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg MainGardenJune23_07.JPG (192.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg BackfromDeckJune23_07.JPG (215.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IndeterminatesJune23_07.JPG (207.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg MainGarden2June23_07.JPG (216.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg SideflowersJune23_07.JPG (217.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Woods2June23_07.JPG (219.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DrivewayJune23_07.JPG (179.8 KB, 33 views)
Old June 23, 2007   #8
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

PNW_D, It is a beautiful city. Nice picture.

Craig, Nice house and yard. The shot I like best is the two chairs facing into the woods. A tranquil spot to relax and let everything go. Ami
Old June 23, 2007   #9
tomatoaddict

Ami,
I live in Ohio. In a little twnsp. called Sharon. But I would like to go and live with Sherry in Alaska.
Craig, I love the two chairs facing the woods too. I bet that's one of your favorite places to relax.
Old June 23, 2007   #10
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

t'addict -- Come on up! You'll love it here.
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2007   #11
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

Well here's my zone 3 garden plot (from top of hill to fence....with a few other smaller plots where pumpkins are planted)....planted late due to cold weather (but the tomatoes at top of hill were last minute plantings). Last year I rented a plot at a farm 5 miles outside of town. During the winter the farmer that owns it ended up in the hospital for 3 months so his land wasn't available this spring. After some frantic calls (I had 140 tomatoes needing soil) I was able to get some land at the community garden plots (situated across the tracks from the CPR yards). I miss the river by the old plot but this location has a nesting pair of Pheasants, by the tracks, who keep us entertained whilst watering/weeding.

Mirabel Osler

Last edited by Lilypon; June 23, 2007 at 06:18 PM.
Lilypon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2007   #12
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Pam, Nice garden. So where are the squash plants? I hope your into canning, you are going to have alot of produce when those vege's start maturing. I just may have to go find myself another surrogate garden place after seeing yours. Ami
Old June 24, 2007   #13
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I hope your into canning, you are going to have alot of produce when those vege's start maturing
But of course.......what Canadian would I be if I didn't ? (actually 5 generations of my family have lived on the prairies......my Grandmother's family had to put up 10 months worth of food and I'm sure glad I have the old family recipes . Am also eyeballing a tomato processor at one of the kitchen supply stores. Keep in mind my growing season may end early too (years ago first frost came around September 1st but now it can happen anytime between then and late October). Of some I may only get one ripe tomato....esp from those that higher zoned people only get a small crop from. I'm bound and determined that I'll get at least a taste of the maters peeps here rave about.

Ami the majority of my squash (20 varieties) are growing at a co-worker's house (a few in my yard and a few at the patch).....the co-worker has a huge plot in her backyard and was going to grow giant pumpkins just to keep the weeds down. When I told her what I had she offered her yard. I also sent some of ALL the ones I received from you to FarmerDill (Atlanta), T'Ville's Gary, and Big_Red (as well as retiree and Tania....unfortunately the seeds (of one variety) that the Canadians received were duds but you sent a second package of that one variety, in the 2nd mailing, and they were viable and are growing well in the States). When I heard that La Nina may be brewing (possible cooler/wetter/shorter season here) I wanted to make sure that your efforts for this crazy low zoned Canuck wouldn't be in vain. I'm getting updates/pics from the above folks and all the seeds from you are now sending up male blooms and females are expected soon. Ü I kept a couple seeds of each but mine, at the co-workers house, only have about 6 leaves per vine right now. Oh I should mention that the squash growing in the States are either being bagged or grown in isolation. I've been told, baring squash vine borers/drought/tornado lifting them away, that I should have more seeds than I will know what to do with next spring.

Next year my location may be hot in late April (some years we have hit the 80's in April) and I may get that perfect squash season I was hoping for this year.

Mirabel Osler
Lilypon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2007   #14
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Pam, good stuff. Glad to see some more people are getting the fruits of our labor. Don't forget "Thunder Creek" when that gentleman down the road gets more seed this fall. I'm looking forward to growing it. If you need anything else let me know. Ami