Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 23, 2019   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Potted Up Some Tomato Plants

I have been a member here since 2014, and have received advice from people that were very friendly. About 20% of those people still visit here. What have I learned? Too much to process. You plant a seed in starter mix, or you wait until volunteers show up naturally. You mass plant them or you plan out seed trays, or buy some 220 lighting and build a space age looking reflective background with multi-spectrum lighting.

They are tomatoes.

Give them some safe shelter, light, water, food, and care. Before you know it, they want more, and eventually outgrow the next step, and want to be planted out so they can grow and reproduce. Sounds pretty familiar doesn't it.

Potted up today:

3 Japanese Pink Cherry
2 Medovaya Kaplya - one is RL and one is PL...Crosses happen gosh darn it.
2 Brad's Atomic Grape
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2019   #2
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Congrats on the transplant... and good luck on the future harvest!

Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2019   #3
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Good thoughts, Salt. Decent dirt, water, heat and sun. You've reminded me that we can easily "over think" the whole tomato growing thing. Thanks!

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2019   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Nice!!
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2019   #5
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations! I will be starting in a week. Agree advice I get here is invaluable.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2019   #6
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations on making it to the transplant stage!
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2019   #7
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

Salt, I admire your energy. I will be going with six packs this year from a local vendor.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2019   #8
PlainJane

Hurray on reaching the transplant stage! Looking forward to feedback on Brad’s Atomic Grape.
- Joyce
Old February 24, 2019   #9
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank You.

I wasn't sure what the replies would be? I appreciate every reply. Goodloe, yes we can overthink it.

Worth, you said more in one word than you ever have to me. You understand exactly what this thread means.

Zuespaul, thank you. Those six packs can bring you your favorite. If I had my way - I would help you start seeds.
Old February 24, 2019   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Hurray on reaching the transplant stage! Looking forward to feedback on Brad’s Atomic Grape.
- Joyce

This one has wispy foliage - give it some extra care with wind blockage and a good cage. The tomatoes look great and tastes just as good.
Old February 24, 2019   #11
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Congrats! Children grow quickly. Still haven't started mine, and BAG is on the list...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2019   #12
zendog
Tomatovillian™

Seeds in their cells,
break free and rise to the light,
carrying my heart.

I never get tired of watching the kids grow up.
zendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2019   #13
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Salt, we must be on the same timetable. I just potted up 90% of my seedlings today and will finish up tomorrow. They were mass-sowed in that Ultrasorb or whatever it is called, the finer grained one, so it was easy peasy separating them. The weather is finally warming up here so I will be putting them outside during the warmest hours of the day and bringing them inside for the night, to be under lights for a few extra hours. After they grow bigger I will keep them out permanently when the night temps are stable at around 55 degrees.
What do you do in your neck of the woods after you pot them up? Do you keep them under lights or near a window or what?
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2019   #14
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Peebee, I do something of the same as you. It's colder here longer with a wide range of temperatures from day to night - almost desert-like. Then there is the wind factor. Our "March winds" start in February through early summer, so to get the plants ready for the winds - I use a fan indoors for around 3 weeks. It seems like a long time, but putting out plants that aren't used to high winds is not a good thing. In posts long ago, I described having to put plants out in an area with a wind break. This is why.

Do you keep them under lights or near a window or what?

Yes, is the best answer. Lights, some by the windows at the right time, and sometimes they spend time outside. There's a lot of TLC and keeping up with what it's like for any given day. You don't put seedlings out in 40 mph winds or if it's too cold. But at the same time, you want them to be ready for what nature is going to throw at them.
Old February 25, 2019   #15
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Good luck with your season Salt. Our season here in Oz has finished for me due to heatwave conditions, but I'll be following the progress of everyone through posts here at Tomatoville, just to keep the interest flowing.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote