Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 10, 2016   #1
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default Weather

Nat'l site says 14 more days of 40 to 70% chance of rain. Clouds. Afraid to set my peppers and eggplants. Its really discouraging. Maybe the poorest early May for south central Ohio that I can recall since 1976. Other than that everything is hunky dorry.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpinks View Post
Nat'l site says 14 more days of 40 to 70% chance of rain. Clouds. Afraid to set my peppers and eggplants. Its really discouraging. Maybe the poorest early May for south central Ohio that I can recall since 1976. Other than that everything is hunky dorry.
At least it's rain you are worried about , been there for the past two seasons here, b/c where I am in upstate NY onthe Vt border it was a hard freeze again last night and that should seal it tight for all the commerical apple and pear and plum orchards as well as the commercial strawberries as well.

And supposed to freeze again tonight but be up to the 70's by Thursday.

I can't even bring myself to mention in detail what the damage has been here where I am as to daffodils,tulips, lilacs ,daylilies, roses frozen,etc.

Carolyn
Old May 10, 2016   #3
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I just looked that up and saw 22F at Saranack Lake last night, wow that's cold, really bad to think about all the fruit producers.

I've got my tomatoes and pepper out as of yesterday, my raised beds warm up quickly. We have two cool nights coming this weekend upper 30s/around 40F. I will be keep my eye on things and cover if necessary.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The high temperature for Fort Worth, Texas today is forecasted 94F which isn't odd for here in May, but it will be the first 90+ degree day this year. I have the AC on because it is very humid and feels like you're in an old wet hothouse.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Talking about weather ; Here in NW Washington State we have a unique weather (PNW weather)
I have planted out on 4/5/16 to 4/15/16. But we continue having cool nights. E.g. last night's low was 44F. We have like 4 to 5 months of spring. Best place for shrubs and cold crops. Lettuce will hardly bolt here.
America is a huge country with its diversity in many ways,. Weather is one of them. I love it.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016   #6
dirtdobber
Tomatovillian™

The storms that are coming thru your way today came thru last night here and 40+ mph winds did a number on the plants in the ground! I will try and patch things up tonight after work.
dirtdobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The weather forecast here has changed 3 times today. Early this morning, there was a 0% chance of rain. At 10am, there was a 20% chance of rain south and west of DFW. At noon, there is a 60% of severe thunderstorms later today (Especially in the area where I live.)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2016   #8
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

"Chance of rain " is another way for the weather man to cover his azz.
Any given probability number is practically meaningless. What is the difference between 20% of chance of rain and 40% chance of rain, as far as you are concerned ?
In both cases it might or might not rain. The corollary is 80 % or 60 percent no chance of rain. hahaha
They hardly ever say there will be a 100% of this or that.

Gardeneer
Old May 11, 2016   #9
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
"Chance of rain " is another way for the weather man to cover his azz.
Any given probability number is practically meaningless. What is the difference between 20% of chance of rain and 40% chance of rain, as far as you are concerned ?
In both cases it might or might not rain. The corollary is 80 % or 60 percent no chance of rain. hahaha
They hardly ever say there will be a 100% of this or that.

Gardeneer
I am puzzled when I check Weather Underground and the prediction is 40% chance of 0 inches of rain. What the heck does that mean?
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2016   #10
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

I should have mentioned in my post that we have been much more fortunate than the Texas and Louisiana folks. Went ahead and planted peppers and egg plants, tilled, fertilized and risked a 30 ft row of beans and and corn. If it rots I can always do it again. Didn't Steely Dan say that?
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2016   #11
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Here is Phx its supposed to hit 105 on Friday, 102 today. Out go the umbrellas and since I'm home with a sick kid today, I will try and give everything a hefty dose of fish emulsion... 90's seem to be ok for the garden but once we hit 100, I notice everything go south.
Old May 11, 2016   #12
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Here in Northern Ohio... March was far nicer than the past 6 weeks. We are to almost the middle of May and have had hardly and days of sunshine... one here and there. Cold at nights.. last night was 50 which was real nice. I din't have to go cover the tomatoes in the high tunnels or move all the potted tomatoes inside again... day after day after day.. it has been low 40's at night time. the fore cast keeps going downhill everytime I look at it, this Saturday yhe low is now 39*
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...2#.VzMsJYQrLcs
Old May 11, 2016   #13
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Here in Western WA (PNW), we are having a nice weather.
Here is what we have today, May 11:
High 81F , low 47F (forecast)
Historically Averages (may 11) :H 63 F , L 43F.

Records for today in history: High 77 F , Low 41 F ( 1997, 2012)
So today will have a new record high for May 11.

Gardeneer

PS: Look at the swing between high and low. it is 34 degrees !!
Old May 11, 2016   #14
berryman
Tomatovillian™

Yesterday's high here was 71 and last night it got down to 23. Sadness.
Great for flavor development in apples and pears in the fall but not so great for tomatoes.
central Utah 6000 ft.
berryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2016   #15
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™

100 in Arizona. I won't get much more chile or tomato set but at least my pool might finally warm up to a usable temp. This weekend it should be 100 & raining. At least the heat makes all the tomatoes taste great. After this week, they probably won't set again until September or October.
MarianneW is offline   Reply With Quote