Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old July 8, 2009   #1
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

Question Scale for Market?

I am planning on selling a few toms this year to test out my local area. I have 400 plants in so should have a few to try this out. I hope to have a few pre-packed containers but for those customers that want to pick their own assortment I will need to weigh them.
My question is: can anyone recommend a good scale to use? I would need one that runs on battery as I may not have power where I set up. I have seen a few on Ebay but have no idea what the quality is like.
Thanks Much!!!
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2009   #2
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I don't know anything about scales, but at the local farmers' markets, most of the stands use hanging scales rather than digital scales. I assume whatever scale you use would need to get certified/inspected by your state.

Maybe your local ag extension can suggest sources for and types of scales? Or the dept. that regulates weights and measures may have guidelines about what's legal to use.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2009   #3
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

While a few sellers here still use a hanging scale, the market manager has been discouraging their use as in Wisconsin they are not certifiable.

There are several nice battery opperated scales available from most commercial scale outfits. Many have a rechargeable system that holds a charge for a good long time. I usually only chage mine up once/mt and it's on from 6AM to 2pm every Sat and for about 4+ hours on Wednesdays too.

The only problem with them is that they cost in the $3-400 range. They are totally price computing so you don't have to figure anything out after you enter the price.

You can get some smaller scales for a bit less, but I wouldn't recommend anything that will weigh less than 15 lbs. Most also have a 30 lb model and I have 2 of those. You would be surprised how many times you go over the 15 lb limit, especially if you weigh watermelons.

I'd give you some names and brands but my 3 scales are all in the trucks or the barn right now.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2009   #4
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

thanks for your input. I was thinking a digital scale. I will check on weights and measure certification.

Carol if you have a chance and can recommend names/brands I would love the info.

Thanks!
Old July 9, 2009   #5
David52
Tomatovillian™

I dunno if it would help you with that many plants / volume, but we use a 10 lb Post Office Scale, available to buy at any PO, less than $40.

Advantage is weighing out 1 - 3 lbs, folks 'trust' the scale, simple to operate, etc.

Disadvantages are - hard to see readout if the sun is hitting it funny, needs to be pretty close to level (which isn't easy at our market) and, of course, you have to calculate out what 1 lb 7 oz is going to cost.

I was selling cherry tomatoes yesterday, and spent an hour weighing them out at home in 1/2 lb lots, putting them in a paper bowl with a lid, and at the market, went into a spiel about doing all that, and nobody cared - they just bought them.
Old July 9, 2009   #6
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

The only scale I could get at right now is an Avery-Berkle. Not sure if I spelled it right tho. It's a 30 lb computing scale. Cost me $300 from the Madison market as they have been stocking scales the last few years as a service to the growers. This one is about 2 years old and I'm not sure if that model is still available as the market now has a different model. But if you check your local Yellow Pages you should be able to find some dealers.

The other option might be to have a grower from your area get one from the market for you. I think you are over near La Crosse. There are at least 2 growers from the Viroqua area at Madison just about every week.

In Wi you can sell cherry tomatoes by volume as in pint containers, so you don't need to weight them. The problem I have is the fact that I prefere the old green mesh baskets but they are getting very hard to find. Most wholesale growers use the clear clamshells. I don't like them as they don't have enough ventilation and stuff goes bad in them. Pluss, I dump my product into a bag when sold so I can re-use the baskets til they are too broken up to use any more.

Larger types tho you need to sell by weight OR if you sell by a quantity box like a 1/4 bu of something, you need to have a sign that tells the minimum weight / box.

PITA and not all markets enforce all the rules like that. But the Dane Co Farmers Market tries to enforce everything possible in part due to the fact that we are selling on the Capitol grounds.

Carol
Old July 9, 2009   #7
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

Thanks
I dont think most people really have a clue what all goes into those cherry toms you grew for them! At least I am sure they enjoyed them.

A person really has to enjoy growing to do this. I (like many here) have been at it for months and am not close to getting to market yet. A few early treats for my son and I but thats it so far.
Old July 9, 2009   #8
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

Carol
Thanks for the info!
I am up in Eau Claire area and will check in with the local market about scales but will research the one you mentioned.

I agree the clamshell containers are not very good. Thanks for the info regarding cherries by volume and larger by weight. Being new to this all, the info is great!

I would guess the large Dane CO market has lots of rules and some politics involved. I'm just a little grower attempting to make a few extra $ at a hobby I love. I will leave those big markets to you big growers!
Old July 14, 2009   #9
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

At the market I shop at nobody sells anything by weight. It's all sold by volume.
snappybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2009   #10
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Yup, definately some politics involved with some of the rules here.

But the rules about HOW you are susposed to sell different vegies is a STATE rule that is made mainly for the grocery stores, but CAN be enforced by the farmers markets too. It mostly depends on how involved your local health dept is as they are usually the ones that will make you get a scale that can be certified.

I saw Hubby's scale and it is also an Avery-Berkle, tho a completely different style. So that seems to be a good brand to look for around here as they seem to recognize the need for a sturdy portable non plug-in type scale. You would be amaized at how much bumping around they will take.

Having a decent scale will more than pay for itself too. When we had the old hanging scales we were always "rounding down" due to not being comfortable with it's accuracy, or rather lack of it. Now with these computing scales, they weigh to 0.00 of a lb and compute the price if you enter it in. So when someone puts something on the scale they can see exactly what it weighs and costs and if you "round down" it's usually only a few cents now rather than a quarter lb, as we used to do.

Something else you will want to get for a market if you go to somewhere other than your own yard is a "pop-up" type tent. Easy-up is a brand that is reasonably sturdy if you get the type that has the cross pieces that go to the center. They are usually available at Sam's Club for about $200 or a bit more.

The tent is as much for the produce as it is for you. It's also as much or more for sunny days as it is for the rainy ones. Tomatoes, eggplant and broccoli will "cook" sitting all day out in the sun.

Carol
Old July 15, 2009   #11
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

Thanks much for the info...I appreciate the time checking the brand of the scales and everyones responses!
Old July 24, 2009   #12
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

If anyone else is looking:
I found an Avery Berkel scale that goes to 30lb and is price computing.
Model FX50 $166.75 + $10.47 to ship
Ordered 7/21 arrived 7/24
It just arrived and seems to work well. If anyone else may be looking here is a link: http://www.primasupply.com/product_i...oducts_id=7948

Not affiliated with the company...just found it and it seems a good price.
Old July 24, 2009   #13
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

That is the scale I have. It works great and you found a great price.

I got mine for $300 thru my market and thought that was a decent price.

Carol
Old July 28, 2009   #14
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

Carol
Well I must thank you for pointing me in the right direction in regards to brand to look for. A few days in now and the scale has been working well. The price did seem pretty good, in fact I was not sure it wasnt a mistake so was glad when it arrived.
Thanks again for all your great posts and information!
Charles