Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old October 22, 2014   #1
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Default (Sungold x Mikado White) x Lithium Sunset

(Sungold x Mikado White) x Lithium Sunset. Now at F2.

I can already hear Carolyn coming to tell me that Mikado White doesn't exist anymore. The 'Mikado White' is almost certainly Potato Leaf White, but it came to me as "mikado", so I'm keeping it labeled that way.
My original goal for this cross was a fruity, PL striped cherry. But I found the cherry size F1's uninspiring, so I went forward from this larger bicolor F1 --

Here's some of this year's F2's

From top to bottom, left to right: FY 4-1, FY 4-2, FY 4-3, FY 4-4, FY 4-5, FY 4-6
FY 6-1, FY 6-2

FY 4-5. The winner for sure. Really cool striped bicolor. Nice and sweet. Could be more "fruity" - maybe at F3?
I also liked FY 6-1 quite a bit - fruity, but lacked the ""wow" factor. I'll do a few.

Some other seg's --

JL 5-1

JL 7-1 and 7-3. 7-3 was better, but it has the "big core" problem from Lithium Sunset, which
I'm trying to breed away from.

JL 7-2. Average taste

JL 7-5. Like the stripes. Low production for me. I'll probably do a couple F3's to see what cones out, it has potential.

JL 7-6. Average bicolor.
PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2016   #2
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

FY 8-1 Pretty epic colors, taste is quite good. #2 choice for growouts

FY 9-4 and FY 9-2. 9-2 is my #1 grow out choice from this line. The flavor is a 9,
and it's quite productive and early enough.

More segs -

Old February 25, 2016   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

You say you can ALMOST hear me about there being no Mikado White, so here I am to say there IS no Mikado White.

It was WWW who first SSE listed it and many of us knew there was no Mikado White and we were able to find out that he had sent out Potato Leaf White instead.WWW misrepresented many varieties unfortunately.

Whatever,some fine looking promising fruits you show there paddy, and IMO that's what counts.

Trust me,or not,but your four crosses you sent me the seeds for WILL go to the Experimental Section of my seed offer and at this point I don't know when it will go up..

Just LOTS of issues and problems to be faced before that happens.

But the good news is that I can now type better at night since I have a new LED backlighted keyboard with color selections of blue or red or purple. In addition I can now control volume via the keyboard and probably launch a drone if I wanted to.

The bad news is that as with other new keyboards I've had there are lots of runon sentences until the keys get loosened up and it takes forever to go back and correct all of that.

Carolyn, where we had thunder and lightning last night and I don't ever rememember that happening in Feb.
Old February 25, 2016   #4
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

But the good news is that I can now type better at night since I have a new LED backlighted keyboard with color selections of blue or red or purple. In addition I can now control volume via the keyboard and probably launch a drone if I wanted to.
The tomato drone!

Would you like me to send you fresher seeds for your seed offer? Not that those shouldn't still be fine, but I have more advanced selections of all of those lines if you'd like.
Old February 25, 2016   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMc View Post
The tomato drone!

Would you like me to send you fresher seeds for your seed offer? Not that those shouldn't still be fine, but I have more advanced selections of all of those lines if you'd like.
That would be great Paddy,but when you sent the others you had written what to look for and if you now have more advanced selections would it be possible to update that part?

I will PM you the address to whom you send that and that's Shawn who is taking over the hard part of my seed offer and doing all the seed packing and whatever, so look for that PM with the address.Could you get it to him in the next week or two.?

Finally is it at all possible that so many of your pictures of fruits have a rock back ground,and to be more specific,would that be a trout stream?

Carolyn
Old February 25, 2016   #6
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
That would be great Paddy,but when you sent the others you had written what to look for and if you now have more advanced selections would it be possible to update that part?

I will PM you the address to whom you send that and that's Shawn who is taking over the hard part of my seed offer and doing all the seed packing and whatever, so look for that PM with the address.Could you get it to him in the next week or two.?

Finally is it at all possible that so many of your pictures of fruits have a rock back ground,and to be more specific,would that be a trout stream?

Carolyn
I'll look for that PM. If I get it in the next day or two, I should be able to get them out Monday or Tuesday (I'll be skiing/snow camping next Wed - Sun).

My pics often have rocks in the background because my yard (and gardens) were all trout stream once. Great soil. Between the rocks.

In all seriousness, In my main bed I sifted rocks one shovelful at a time to make the bed grow-able. We graveled our entire driveway and our neighbors from that one bed.
Old February 25, 2016   #7
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Forgot to say - I'll send you updated descriptions/goals
Old February 25, 2016   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMc View Post
Forgot to say - I'll send you updated descriptions/goals
I've changed my mind. It will be an e-mail since I want to put both you and Shawn on the same e-mail to discuss what goes where and why.

I have his e-mail and I know I have yours somewhere but it sure would save time if you could PM me your e-mail rather than my spending time trying to find it.

Thanks again,

Carolyn
Old March 1, 2016   #9
disneynut1977
Tomatovillian™

I wish you the best of luck with your crosses. They are all eye candy.
Old October 5, 2016   #10
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Some F4's from this season -
This was the standout production line of the season. Every single plant was quite early, and ultra-productive. All of the plants were also among the most vigorous and stocky plants in the garden.

FY 4-2 and FY 4-3. Flavor on 4-2 was too weak to save, but 4-3 was good flavored and extra meaty.

FY 3-6, FY 3-5. Both bicolor 3-6 was particularly fruity, taste on 3-5 7.5/10.

FY 3-7 Pretty, BC, fruity but could be stronger tasting. Taste 7/10, PRODUCTIVE.

FY 3-8

FY 3-10. Tasty
Old October 5, 2016   #11
salix
Tomatovillian™

Just beautiful! And so many are tasty and productive as well; oh to be young and limber again...
Congratulations.
Old October 6, 2016   #12
mamaboog
Tomatovillian™

3-6 is my favorite. Ruffles, color, flavor. Yeah!
mamaboog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2017   #13
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Here is this years take on FY 8-1. The color is beautiful on this guy. I planted two plants and one of them is showing sime serious "Siberian Tiger" type striping. I will post more pics as they ripen up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170603_194610-756x1008.jpg (120.3 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 20170603_194606-756x1008.jpg (106.8 KB, 112 views)
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2017   #14
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

That is one awesome looking tomato and you get to eat one already. Paddy says it's early in Idaho so it must be super early in the CA weather. When did you plant out?
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2017   #15
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Here is one i picked last week off of plant number two before i went on a short vacation. It finally ripened up nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170604_200604-756x1008.jpg (102.6 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 20170604_200559-756x1008.jpg (100.4 KB, 92 views)
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote