Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 17, 2007   #1
pbud
Tomatovillian™

Default sugar lump x brandywine

Well, after reading through a bunch of threads in this forum (Craig's with Tom's and others comments was especially helpful) I decided to try my first cross. Sugar Lump is the father and brandywine (suddeth's strain) the mother (hope got the x in the right place in the title. I tried with three blossoms which probably isn't nearly enough for success, but I'll do a few more this weekend. Hoping for a really good tasting medium sized pink or red that's more productive than brandywine and bigger than sugar lump. We'll see...
Thanks for all the info in this forum!
Paul
pbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2007   #2
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Paul,

I am a stickler for detail and for conventional tactics for describing crosses. I noticed you listed the cross backwards in my mind.

Plant breeders most ofter list the female first and the male second. It has been that way for many years and I follow pedigree data more closely than most people.

The cross probably should read: Brandywine (Suddeths) X Sugar Lump.

I have used Sugar Lump, or (Gardener's Delight) according to some sources, for many years in crosses. There are some important hybrids in which Sugar Lump is a parent. I am not willing to disclose which ones, however.

Sugar Lump genes flow in many of my lines of tomatoes. Mostly used during the Seventies and before, those genes are variously evident or not so evident in my OP's.

I do remember it was hard to get the size up on my hybrids and segregations with large fruited tomatoes. There was a lot of genetic drag therein. Maybe some day I'll explain.

I can think of a few of my lines involving Brandywine types and cherry tomatoes such as Sugar Lump going back many years. Kinda of a nostalgia trip.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2007   #3
pbud
Tomatovillian™

Tom,
Yeah, I thought I might have listed that cross backwards - thanks, I've got it straight in my mind now. It should be easy to remember if I think of the x as "by" as in brandywine x (pollinated by) sugar lump.

Interesting info on the use of sugar lump in other crosses. I'll be on the lookout (if anything takes) for larger sized fruit, as you indicate those tend to be difficult to come by when using sugar lump as a parent.
Paul
Old July 21, 2009   #4
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Paul, I have a dozen F2 plants out this year and as expected, they are segregating for PL/RL and fruit size/type. With the exception of one plant has a compact growth habit, the others are monsters. The first fruit should be turning color in a week or so.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2009   #5
pbud
Tomatovillian™

That's fantastic, Frogsleap!! I've got two growing and both plants are big with Kimberly sized tomatoes that are still green and oblate. What do the fruit look like? Can't wait to hear how they taste. Glad you grew them.

I've got a heart coming from one of the the Earl's Faux x ? lines. Let me know if you want seeds of that. Still green, but eagerly anticipated.

Paul
Old July 26, 2009   #6
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbud View Post
That's fantastic, Frogsleap!! I've got two growing and both plants are big with Kimberly sized tomatoes that are still green and oblate. What do the fruit look like? Can't wait to hear how they taste. Glad you grew them.

I've got a heart coming from one of the the Earl's Faux x ? lines. Let me know if you want seeds of that. Still green, but eagerly anticipated.

Paul
Paul - these two photos show the range in fruit size and shape. I'm thinking they will start to turn in the next 10 days. About half of the F2 plants have smooth round cherry type fruit, and half the more ribbed complex shape. I only have a couple Earl's Faux x ?? plants, one of which looks great.

Frogz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrandyLump1.jpg (105.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg BrandyLump2.jpg (125.7 KB, 24 views)
Old August 2, 2009   #7
pbud
Tomatovillian™

Frogz,
Mine are very similar. I've only got two plants, both PL, and one plant has more smooth round and the other more ribbed. The smooth one does have a few ribbed fruit though. I've had two ripe ones and both were very nice tasting. The ribbed had greenish seed gel, while the rounder ones did not. Have you had a tasted any yet?
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brandwine x sugar lump f2 pic1.jpg (62.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg bwine x sl f2 baby.jpg (54.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg bwine x sl f2 pic2.jpg (81.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg bwine x sl f2 truss.jpg (163.7 KB, 14 views)
Old August 15, 2009   #8
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Paul - mine went out late and are just now producing ripe fruit. Taste is good/great for most of the fruit from F2 plants, with a nice combination of sweetness with acid and solid tomato punch. Here's a photo of one of these beauties (a mini-beefsteak) that topped the taste test that we called lunch today. I need to get the dozen F2 families down to a couple for the next generation, which will be a challenge.

Frogz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrandyLump-12.jpg (111.4 KB, 14 views)
Old August 31, 2009   #9
pbud
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear it, Frogz. Did you have splitting issues with the ripe fruit? I've found that to be a real problem, as fruit that gets quite ripe (not overripe) tends to split. The taste is fantastic though.