Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 28, 2021   #271
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

A few cherries: sungold, sun sugar, a couple micros, honey delight and maglia rosa. Hands down winner for taste is again maglia. Flavors vary depending on ripeness and how and where they're grown. 3 plants in containers of different sizes.
Other varieties were grown in ground.

Two of my neighbors ask every year, "are the maglias' ready yet. Yep, another bumper crop. This tomato can go toe to toe with anything I grow as far as taste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210728_102123.jpg (264.1 KB, 148 views)
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2021   #272
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful!
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2021   #273
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Lovely picture Bjbebs!

My four Maglia Rosa plants have already given us lots of fruit and, again, they have a great taste that can rival all the other varieties I am growing .
This has to be my favourite tomato .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2021   #274
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I am happy people still love Maglia Rosa. It was the first tomato ever sold by a seed company (Seeds of Change) thanks to our friend Steve Peters who was there at the time.

I consider it a niche variety. One that can do very well for some people and be disappointing for others.

It is a frustrating variety for us to grow, because it just doesn't fit with our need to have at least a couple of days of shelf life on any cherry tomato we grow. It also just seems to get hammered by our hot summer days.

Interestingly, we now have an alternative pink cherry tomato, Pink CherryWine, with a flavor that rivals Maglia Rosa, but with excellent shelf-life and durability (but not at the extent of fruit texture -- it is not rubbery).

So anyone else that loves Maglia Rosa flavor, but is frustrated by other traits, might want to try Pink CherryWine.
Old July 28, 2021   #275
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Several years growing this in containers and never a bit of trouble. When my third plant starts coming on I'll pick a couple qts. every other day. Yes, to me taste is best when dead ripe but even early taste is good.

I assumed you were the breeder, Fred. You've used this in your lines over the years. Could you list a few of your crosses that Maglia went into making?
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2021   #276
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

This has been my favorite tomato for several years as well, and a must in my garden. I've sent seeds to others who also sing high praise for the variety, earliness, productivity, good looks, and good taste. I've always acknowledged the original breeder, when sharing seeds. Thank you very much Fred, for developing such a wonderful variety. I bought the original Artisan pack from Johnny's Selected years ago, and now still growing Blush, Green Tiger, Pink Tiger, and Lucky Tiger. I love them all.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2021   #277
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestGardener View Post
This has been my favorite tomato for several years as well, and a must in my garden. I've sent seeds to others who also sing high praise for the variety, earliness, productivity, good looks, and good taste. I've always acknowledged the original breeder, when sharing seeds. Thank you very much Fred, for developing such a wonderful variety. I bought the original Artisan pack from Johnny's Selected years ago, and now still growing Blush, Green Tiger, Pink Tiger, and Lucky Tiger. I love them all.
Thank You
Old July 29, 2021   #278
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbebs View Post
Several years growing this in containers and never a bit of trouble. When my third plant starts coming on I'll pick a couple qts. every other day. Yes, to me taste is best when dead ripe but even early taste is good.

I assumed you were the breeder, Fred. You've used this in your lines over the years. Could you list a few of your crosses that Maglia went into making?
Maglia Rosa genetics are in all the Artisan Cherry tomatoes and in Green Bee, Pink CherryWine and Agi Red.

It is a "founding" line for flavor, in our breeding program.
Old July 30, 2021   #279
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Maglia Rosa is already maturing me too. It's my favorite tomato.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3595.jpg (163.6 KB, 117 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2022   #280
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

My first tomato this season 53 days from transplant, 28.5g (~1oz). Texture slightly mealy (my fault, given soil issues), but the flavor woah! It's like a concentrated tomato paste that's moist, not dry. Tomato looks like it is on the larger side compared to what I see in this thread, but, subsequent ones currently ripening are closer to the sizes here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg first maglia rosa 2022.jpg (140.8 KB, 69 views)
paradajky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2022   #281
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I forgot to grow Maglia Rosa this year, but I am growing Pink Cherry Wine. I think Pink Cherry Wine isn't as sweet as MR but has excellent balanced flavor and classic tomato flavor, and it does last on the vine if I don't snatch them up.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2022   #282
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

So far, Maglia Rosa is the best-tasting tomato here! I'm growing Pink Cherry Wine too, and maybe I need to let them ripen a bit more because, although I detect a complex flavour, it doesn't compare yet to MR.

One of the great things about Maglia Rosa is that it tastes good at any stage of ripeness. It truly is my favourite .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2022   #283
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

I see what Fred says about eating them earlier in the ripening stage. The flavor is much sharper and more unique this way. I think I may be with team earlier on this one.. ;D
paradajky is offline   Reply With Quote