Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old November 1, 2013   #1
Longlake
Tomatovillian™

Default Alfalfa Pellets

Late last fall I mixed 40 lbs of alfalfa pellets into each of my raised beds, which are 4’ wide and 12-16 feet long. Fast forward to early this summer, when a good share of the tomatoes planted in those beds developed what looked to be severe herbicide damage with upward raised, fern-leaf foliage. This was followed by an influx of bugs that I’ve never had to deal with before, including leaf hoppers and what I believe were psyllids. About half of the tomato plants ended up being pulled in early July and most of those that remained struggled to produce decent fruit.

Now, it could just be that I was due for an ‘interesting’ gardening year. But I’m wondering if the alfalfa pellets might have caused more harm than good? Could it be that the pellets were herbicide tainted (just now reading up on Roundup Ready alfalfa) and loaded with bug eggs?

Anyone else experience similar issues?