Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 9, 2017   #1
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Default Brutus

I thought I would start a thread on this beautiful tomato, seeds kindly provided by Marsha.
The largest is just under a pound, with extensive fluting reminiscent of a Costuluto Genovese. I had it today on a sandwich and it was luscious
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brutus 7-8-17.jpg (80.9 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg Brutus 7-9-17.jpg (95.3 KB, 192 views)
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2017   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Wow! that's a beauty.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2017   #3
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Looking forward to a delicious sandwich!
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2017   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Darin,it's known that there are more than one variety named Brutus, so here's a thread I remembered where Lubadub, Marv Meissner,the person who wrote the book on how to grow BIG ones and do it the right way.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ghlight=brutus

And you also posted in the above one already, which I will say surprised me since you started a new thread just just for Brutus.

In the above link Marv arrives in post 39, then in post #50, more than one Brutus is mentioned, then in post 108 I list the FOUR Brutuses,if you will, that I had.

If anyone else here is interested in growing BIG ones,as the original thread was devoted to,it's a long thread, but IMO worth the time.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
Old July 9, 2017   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I am growing it as well. Seeds also courtesy of my generous friend Marsha. It is setting some very nice looking beefsteaks for me so It is nice to see what they should develop into and to hear that they taste great as well which is most important. Nice Photos.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2017   #6
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Karen and Carolyn! Indeed, I was aware of the previous threads and the many names that have been used (I've seen Brutus Magnum, Brutus Maximum, etc.) for the large-type that Marv talked about. I started a thread because I wasn't sure if I had one of those types, or a different variety called just "Brutus". It's just really a beautiful tomato! Perhaps Marsha can comment on the provenance of these seeds, and to which type it belongs. I probably should have asked first!
Old July 9, 2017   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Thanks Karen and Carolyn! Indeed, I was aware of the previous threads and the many names that have been used (I've seen Brutus Magnum, Brutus Maximum, etc.) for the large-type that Marv talked about. I started a thread because I wasn't sure if I had one of those types, or a different variety called just "Brutus". It's just really a beautiful tomato! Perhaps Marsha can comment on the provenance of these seeds, and to which type it belongs. I probably should have asked first!
I know one of the Brutus ones I had was from that Estonian site where I just found out that Vladimir also used to go. If I go back in my data book I think not now,but sometime in the future, I can find the notes I made that Clara translated for me and I copied down.

I don't remember right now if I also copied down the place where they got them from. The site is very different now so they wouldn't be listing anything Brutus,just F1 hybrids.

Carolyn
Old July 9, 2017   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

My Brutus seeds came from Andrey_By, and were marked simply as Brutus. I didn't know there were several.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2017   #9
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
My Brutus seeds came from Andrey_By, and were marked simply as Brutus. I didn't know there were several.
Ah OK Marsha, so after looking at Tatiana's site, the tomatoes that I have are more consistent with Brutus Magnus

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

and Tatiana's entry for just "Brutus":

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

Looks like these may be the same tomatoes and developed at Moravoseeds in Czechoslovakia. Is is possible that Marv added the name "Maximum" to the Brutus name after he discovered how large these get?

Vladimir and Andrey most likely used the same seeds for their growouts, right? From Moravoseeds? Perhaps they can chime in.

Regarding flavor, this was not as rich as a Rebel Yell, but it had good sweetness and was quite juicy.
Old July 10, 2017   #10
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

On the Estonian site, they still sell Brutus seeds with this description (in original Moravoseed bags (picture):
This a mid-early indeterminate variety of tomato characterized by giant fruits with a diameter of up to 20 cm. The fruits are red with distinct ribbed markings. The weight of individual fruits can reach up to 1,5 kg.¬
I do not know where Andrey got them. I buy them in the store with us.
Vladimír
PS.:Tania had the seeds from me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14381_tomat_brutus.jpg (256.4 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; July 10, 2017 at 01:18 AM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2017   #11
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Vladimir, that helps clear it up a lot. My bet is that Andrey got these same seeds too.
Old July 10, 2017   #12
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Ours look like the Moravoseed package. I think Marv might have just added the word Magnus.I love this tomato machine!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2017   #13
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

et tu?

Nice looking tomato.

can someone translate that seed package. not familiar w/ that language, is that Russian?
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2017   #14
dorota
Tomatovillian™

Variety Brutus, according to EU plant register was registered by Czech Republic.

It is a wonderful tomato, very popular in my country. We- Poland and Czech Republic are neighbours.
In Russian is just one word: tomato. This word repeats on the bottom of the bag in a few languages.
dorota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2017   #15
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

My seeds were also from Moravoseeds (Czech Republic) from their local Belarusian distributor. This variety is really a hit!

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote