Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old April 22, 2018   #856
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I agree with you completely on the impact fermenting has on what's good hot sauce. I also can't get excited about any of the old standby store hot sauces. I even feel a bit empty having to buy peppers at a store. I much prefer to use my own grown, so I'm growing about 75 pepper plants this year ranging from candy-sweet mild to face ripping hot 7 Pot Primos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
The red peppers are ripe jalapenos I picked up at the Mexican market.
I have no idea if the poblano picked up any of the heat I guess it did but I tested the other stuff first.

What I ended up with was 1 1/2 half quarts of the poblano.
One 1/2 gallon jar, one quart jar and one pint jar of the red stuff.

This comes out to a grand total of 1 and 1/4 gallon of (((concentrated))) hot pepper sauce.

Now I can add yet more lime juice or sugar as I please or I can also use it for cooking and so on without the added lime and sugar or any other spices.
By doing this I can cook without the nasty taste of vinegar or any added salt.
There is zero vinegar in the sauce only some lime juice citric acid and xanthan gum.
Pretty much all natural or darn close to it if you ask me.
Since I started making my own hot sauces I dont even like my old favorites from the store anymore.
Fermenting peppers and not using vinegar has changed my whole idea and or concept of pepper sauce.

Worth
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2018   #857
rdback
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
...Fermenting peppers and not using vinegar has changed my whole idea and or concept of pepper sauce.
Worth
Amen Brother.
rdback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2018   #858
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Worth1;696378]Folks I can't express to you how good the fermented poblano peppers are.
Unbelievable.]

Next project: Poblanos. YAY! Thank you Worth! My favorite hot sauce is green, of course it has vinegar in it. I am going to try making my own now. What happens if you don't add the xantham thingy? Does it come out too runny? Any known substitutes?

Unrelated: I noticed something, in many ferments if you add a bit of fragrant oil and some fresh onions before eating, it makes kraut taste better. I made with unrefined sunflower oil and onion, sesame oil and scallion, both taste better even if the kraut is good by itself. Unless you don't like the particular oil taste. You add oil to the only amount you are going to eat, cause it's not as good the next day. Do you add anything before eating your kraut?
Old April 24, 2018   #859
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdback View Post
Amen Brother.

[QUOTE=Karrr_Luda;696940]
Quote:
Folks I can't express to you how good the fermented poblano peppers are.
Unbelievable.]

Next project: Poblanos. YAY! Thank you Worth! My favorite hot sauce is green, of course it has vinegar in it. I am going to try making my own now. What happens if you don't add the xantham thingy? Does it come out too runny? Any known substitutes?

Unrelated: I noticed something, in many ferments if you add a bit of fragrant oil and some fresh onions before eating, it makes kraut taste better. I made with unrefined sunflower oil and onion, sesame oil and scallion, both taste better even if the kraut is good by itself. Unless you don't like the particular oil taste. You add oil to the only amount you are going to eat, cause it's not as good the next day. Do you add anything before eating your kraut?

The Poblano sauce isn't hot at all bit it tastes good sauce or not.
The xanthan gum keeps it from separation and there isn't anything wrong with it as far as I am concerned.
I dont normally add anything to sauerkraut.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanthan_gum#Uses
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2018   #860
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Worth1;696987]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrr_Luda View Post

The Poblano sauce isn't hot at all bit it tastes good sauce or not.
The xanthan gum keeps it from separation and there isn't anything wrong with it as far as I am concerned.
I dont normally add anything to sauerkraut.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanthan_gum#Uses
i realize that poblanos are not really spicy, will add a bunch of serranos to the jar or do those separately and blend in the end, i was asking for known xantham gum substitute so that possibly i don’t need to get extra ingredients except he veg, and use what i already have. But that is my mistake, should use google search for questions like that. Thank you Worh!
Old April 26, 2018   #861
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

There might be a substitute but a bag of the gum will last for years.
I have the Bob's red mill brand.
When I get home I will tell how I use it.
Worth
Old April 26, 2018   #862
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Mine is from here, http://www.essentialdepot.com/produc...LB-POWDER.html

I have no issues using it. And I bet I've used 2 tbsp in 3 years. It is used in gluten-free
flours and such. Chia seed will give you a natural thickener as well but I doubt the shelf
life. I just rarely think to use it but I wanted a pourable sauce rather than a watery drip
hot sauce.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2018   #863
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

When I do my hot sauce I heat it up on the stove pour it in a blender and slowly sprinkle the powder in as it is running.
Takes around a 1/4 teaspoon or so per quart, depends on how runny the sauce is as far as fluid to pepper ratio.
The last batch I didn't use enough because I used all the fluid from the ferment plus the lime juice.
Use too much and you will end up with The Blob.
I found it in the baking section at the store $11.49 for 8 ounces.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; April 26, 2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old April 26, 2018   #864
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
When I do my hot sauce I heat it up on the stove pour it in a blender and slowly sprinkle the powder in as it is running.
Takes around a 1/4 teaspoon or so per quart, depends on how runny the sauce is as far as fluid to pepper ratio.
The last batch I didn't use enough because I used all the fluid from the ferment plus the lime juice.
Use too much and you will end up with The Blob.
I found it in the baking section at the store $11.49 for 8 ounces.

Worth
Cool thanks for the instructions Worth, I would certainly make a blob without them! I’ll look for it in the grocery store first. Thanks for the link Oakley! How do you eat a hotsauce blob? fork? spoon? bite? lick? maybe spread on toast. oh, i know i know you peck at it.
Old April 27, 2018   #865
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Cool thanks for the instructions Worth, I would certainly make a blob without them! I’ll look for it in the grocery store first. Thanks for the link Oakley! How do you eat a hotsauce blob? fork? spoon? bite? lick? maybe spread on toast. oh, i know i know you peck at it.
It is what makes ketchup, ketchup and sriracha sauce, sriracha sauce.

I didn't know anything till I started looking at ingredients then looking them up to see what they were for.
Old April 29, 2018   #866
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

My boss/friend had some of us come over yesterday to pour a concrete patio in back.
He had breakfast tacos ready for us before the truck showed up.
Some how I got stuck doing the finishing work.
One of the guys is from Porto Rico an Army war vet.

He tried my ghost pepper sauce on a taco and the fist thing he said was, 'how much as in price.
He couldn't get over how good it was.

On a side note, fried chicken gizzards came up.
He is flabbergasted that people in the mainland US he has seen dont pressure cook gizzards before they fry them.
Old April 30, 2018   #867
rdback
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Karrr_Luda;697209]
Quote:

... i was asking for known xantham gum substitute so that possibly i don’t need to get extra ingredients except he veg, and use what i already have.

Lots of folks will use carrot in their hot sauce ferments to add body and serve as a thickener. If you don't want to do that, you can use Guar gum, arrowroot, honey or even a little mustard as well. All are good, natural, emulsifiers. Also, blend the sauce for at least 2 minutes. Good luck with it!
rdback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #868
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=rdback;697732]
Quote:

Lots of folks will use carrot in their hot sauce ferments to add body and serve as a thickener. If you don't want to do that, you can use Guar gum, arrowroot, honey or even a little mustard as well. All are good, natural, emulsifiers. Also, blend the sauce for at least 2 minutes. Good luck with it!
Thanks for the tips rdback! Carrot sounds great, and i have arrowroot powder, honey and mustard (seeds). Still didn’t find decent looking poblanos yet, and it takes a long time to ferment, so I won’t have it for a while. I am hoping to have it done by the time i finish my store bought bottle, so i would’t buy another giant bottle of it again...
Old June 22, 2018   #869
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Worth, here is the result of my poblano project. I had to kill it (cook it) for it to become stable sauce, stopped it from escaping and separating. Came out rather mild despite of added serranos and jalapeńos. Overdid the citric acid a bit, but smells and tastes amazing and does not separate. Added some arrowroot powder that I already had to substitute the thickener. Thanks so much for instructions and advice, I would probably never attempt if not for you! The poblanos did tase great before i blended them, very good firm texture.
Oh, and i saved most of the brine, and now having poblano brine shots, yum
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BED35EB2-05A9-4489-9073-BAD89CD6CCCB.jpg (269.6 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Karrr_Luda; June 23, 2018 at 11:39 AM. Reason: forgot to mention
Karrr_Luda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2018   #870
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks good I have tried mine since I made it.
Maybe today.

Worth