Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 28, 2020   #1
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™
 
DonDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Corinth, texas
Posts: 1,755
Default My Medusa peppers.

I germinated and grew 20 Medusa pepper plants this year as novelty peppers. They supposedly only get twelve to fourteen inches tall and are then crowned with small. multicolored peppers. My Masusa peppers are over two feet tall and still growing. I have no idea what I am growing. but the plants are attractive and the tops are covered with tiny blooms.


I ordered the seeds on Amazon without knowing they would be shipping from China. Maybe the Chinese plants were grown too close to a nuclear power plant or watered with cooling water from a nuclear plant. It should be interesting when peppers finallly appear on the plants. I will eat some of the peppers and possibly glow in the dark.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2020   #2
zipcode
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Romania/Germany , z 4-6
Posts: 1,402
Default

Unfortunately, pretty much every seed that comes out of china towards other parts, and not in an official package seem to be something else. (at least you got good germination, for most of what I got the seeds were probably ancient)
I even managed to get normal beans instead of the long chinese beans that I ordered. What are the odds of that.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2020   #3
Notostraca
Tomatovillian™
 
Notostraca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Scotland
Posts: 36
Default

I've never bought any seeds from China via Amazon/eBay and actually got the correct species!


Once I impulse bought A 99P "tomato growing kit" on from China that was meant to have red tomatoes - it actually came ith a really tasty black cherry variety. That was a pleasant surprise.
__________________
Happy growing,

Emilia
Notostraca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2020   #4
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™
 
DonDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Corinth, texas
Posts: 1,755
Default

I wanted to grow the low growing Medusa pepper, but so far; I;m not unhappy with what I got. When I see some of the peppers, I may try to identify them. They could be a pleasant surprise. I hope they are hotter than the Medusa pepper is reported to be. They do seem to be blooming on the top of the plant and should be attractive. I have the twenty plants planted in a variety of places and conditions such as flower pots and mixed in with other peppers in the garden. All of the plants seem identical in all respects.


I do believe Amazon should identify the origin of organic products they sell so the buyer can determine the wisdom of placing the order based on the buyers comfort with the origin.

Last edited by DonDuck; May 30, 2020 at 09:52 PM.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2020   #5
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™
 
Goodloe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Steens, MS 8a
Posts: 369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notostraca View Post
I've never bought any seeds from China via Amazon/eBay and actually got the correct species!


Once I impulse bought A 99P "tomato growing kit" on from China that was meant to have red tomatoes - it actually came ith a really tasty black cherry variety. That was a pleasant surprise.
Is tomato growing a widespread/popular thing in Scotland? Just curious....
__________________


~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2020   #6
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™
 
ScottinAtlanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 2,466
Default

I bought a cheap pack of mixed hibiscus seeds on ebay from China - turned out all to be identical pink hibiscus. I hate pink.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2020   #7
Notostraca
Tomatovillian™
 
Notostraca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Scotland
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodloe View Post
Is tomato growing a widespread/popular thing in Scotland? Just curious....
Despite the climate not being great for it, it seems to be!
Every summer there are plants available in the supermarket that sell out fast (usually hanging baskets) and bigger garden centres always have a good few common UK varieties on sale, including the Scottish Aisla Craig.
My gran always grew a few plants outdoors in her garden as a habit, and my neighbours grow tomatoes in growbags in thier greenhouse every year.
My gran used to always tell me how fantastic Scottish tomatoes were and how it is a shame you can't buy them in the supermarket anymore (I think commercial glasshouse production of tomatoes in Scotland stopped in the 50s/60s). All of the tomatoes in the supermarket here now are from England, the Netherlands or Spain. Of course farmers markets still have better local toms available though!
__________________
Happy growing,

Emilia
Notostraca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2020   #8
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™
 
DonDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Corinth, texas
Posts: 1,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notostraca View Post
Despite the climate not being great for it, it seems to be!
Every summer there are plants available in the supermarket that sell out fast (usually hanging baskets) and bigger garden centres always have a good few common UK varieties on sale, including the Scottish Aisla Craig.
My gran always grew a few plants outdoors in her garden as a habit, and my neighbours grow tomatoes in growbags in thier greenhouse every year.
My gran used to always tell me how fantastic Scottish tomatoes were and how it is a shame you can't buy them in the supermarket anymore (I think commercial glasshouse production of tomatoes in Scotland stopped in the 50s/60s). All of the tomatoes in the supermarket here now are from England, the Netherlands or Spain. Of course farmers markets still have better local toms available though!

Do Scottish citizens have guaranteed rights to public garden allotments as they do in England?
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2020   #9
Notostraca
Tomatovillian™
 
Notostraca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Scotland
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
Do Scottish citizens have guaranteed rights to public garden allotments as they do in England?
To be honest I'm not sure if the rules are the same sorry, but I think they are.
I can apply for an allotment if I want - but they have super long waiting lists of yeeears, and there aren't any allotments in my area of the city, which is a problem because I don't have a car!
__________________
Happy growing,

Emilia
Notostraca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:29 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2019 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★