Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old May 12, 2009   #16
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Wow, Goodwin! Sounds like you have the right idea there. Keep us up to date on things - I know that I'm very interested in what gems you find.
Old May 12, 2009   #17
johno
Tomatovillian™

A good friend sent me some Sungold F3 seeds from F2 volunteers in her garden last year. I'm growing 5 F3 plants at present, and one of them was the first tomato to flower (about a week ago) out of 60+ varieties, many chosen for earliness. It's too soon to say if any of the 5 will be dwarves, but they don't appear to be. I'm also growing an F1 for comparison.
Old May 17, 2009   #18
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Noticed the first ripe fruit on an F2 today. The regular Sungolds, sown at the same time, are probably about a week away. That's been reported by others who have grown this out. When the hybrid is ready I'll test sugar levels for each. Then we'll do a side-by-side comparison at the market.
The plants are big compared to the hybrid - the scent very strong and spicy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sungold superior fruit.JPG (435.7 KB, 57 views)
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2009   #19
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

I'm picking from most of the F2 plants now. Folks at the market who have gotten a taste really like them. Here is what the fruit looks like from plants 2 through 15. The Sun Gold F1 at the top is for comparison. They are a bit sweeter than the parent at this stage. Brix readings for this group ranged from 9.0 to 11.2. The Sun Gold pictured was 9.0 % soluble solids, which is fairly decent. We got a surprising amount of rain in June and the nights were still cool. So far - so good!

goodwin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SGS2-15.JPG (382.8 KB, 55 views)
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2009   #20
johno
Tomatovillian™

The early F3 yielded the first ripe tomatoes in the garden. It was a few weeks earlier than Sunglold F1, and looks and tastes similar, though not quite as sweet. I saved a few seeds...