Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old June 30, 2006   #1
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

Default Is this a Brandywine X Japanese Oxheart Cross?

Ok, I have held off asking this question for fear of sounding stupid. But the only stupid question is the one you don't ask....

I planted my Brandywine Sudduth in the same earthbox with Japanese Oxheart. I have noticed that many of the Brandywine have pointy ends like an oxheart. The photo below shows a fruit off the brandywine plant with somewhat of a pointy end. A few others were very much heart shaped, but the Spotted Wilt virus got the plant so I only got about 4 fruits ripe off the plant.

As you can see this a monster of a tomato. It weighs almost 3 lbs. Could this be a cross pollination? Would it show up immediately in the fruit or in the next generation?
Old June 30, 2006   #2
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

I got this one from Tomato Growers Supply. I haven't tasted any of the supposed Brandywine yet, if it taste good.

Do you think I should save the seed and see if the heartshape trait continues?