Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old October 23, 2017   #271
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

this is a new story. the young lady was awarded a scholarship or something from a recently developed charity. she is now in college in an Eastern state.
Old October 23, 2017   #272
imp
Tomatovillian™

I thought it must be a present time story, and I am glad she has a chance too.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2017   #273
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I am glad for her too, but so sad that she and many more just like her are living this nightnare over there.

on to less depressing thoughts though I did kill 5 mice and 3 got away from me today in the shed. eeks. disgusting to the nth degree. I found a nest in my honey extractor and one in a hive body and one in a set of old pans on a shelf... gross!!!! and a dead something under a shelving unit. gross gross gross. something big! then it started raining so I came in to make more jam. 3 batches of peach jam ready for the next market. Aldi had peaches for 99c a pound. I bought 8 pounds and got 3 batches. picked another quart of raspberries. I guess I will make raspberry tomorrow.
Old October 23, 2017   #274
imp
Tomatovillian™

I am going to just have to take a page from your "book", Carolyn, and make some jams, they sound so good.
Old October 23, 2017   #275
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Imp, it is amazing how little time it actually takes to make a batch. I think I spend more time thinking what to make... getting out the supplies and cleaning up the mess than actually making the jelly or jam. I do a boiling water bath for all of my jams too since I am selling them. If it was just for us I would do a hot from the oven jar, boiled lid and boiling jam ... and screw on the band. done.
Old October 23, 2017   #276
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Imp, it is amazing how little time it actually takes to make a batch. I think I spend more time thinking what to make... getting out the supplies and cleaning up the mess than actually making the jelly or jam. I do a boiling water bath for all of my jams too since I am selling them. If it was just for us I would do a hot from the oven jar, boiled lid and boiling jam ... and screw on the band. done.
Yes, the prep often takes longer than the actual canning part, for me, LOL. I'm short of counter space right now, so it gets creative at times, shuffle this here, that there, oops, move another thing....and cleaning it all before and after.

Edit:

More chicken in the PC, quarts with thighs and seasoned broth, and later some more breasts. This will be the last rounds of chicken for a bit - unless they go below 89 cents a pound again!!

I'd like some more beef on the shelf, but it's staying high right now.

Last edited by imp; October 23, 2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old October 23, 2017   #277
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
ahh, finally jam and jelly making time. 72 jars so far of raspberry, strawberry, quince, elderberry, spiced concord and cherry-cranberry jelly. a few more cases to make.. Summer just doesn't allow me to work on it then, everything goes in the freezer or gets juiced in my steamer pan. markets are over the garden is almost done very few customers stopping... quiet time to can.
Wow! I've not done elderberry, although I like it. Am still looking for quince, but may have missed it around here. How did you spice the concord grapes and was that jam or jelly? Cherry-cranberry sounds like a yummy combo.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2017   #278
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Been busy with canning season this year. So far I've done the following:
Apple Butter with Cinnamon
Apple Butter with Pumpkin Spices
Apple Pear Butter with Cinnamon
Blueberry Lavender Jam
Blueberry & Pinot Grigio Wine Jam
Blueberry Vanilla Jam
Concord Grape Jelly
Concord Grape & Crabapple Jelly
Concord Grape & Sage Jelly
Crabapple Jelly
Crabapple & Basil Jelly
Cranberry Jalapeno Jelly
Cranberry Inferno Jelly (includes some habs, scorpions and a limited amount of ghosts)
Ginger Marmalade - Chunky
Ginger Marmalade - Fine
Ginger Marmalade - with Scotch
Mango Banana Jam
Mango Low Sugar Jam
Mango Peach Jam
Mango Vanilla Jam
Maple Wine & Concord Grape Jelly
Mint Jelly
Peach Ginger Jam
Peach Cinnamon Jam
Peach Jalapeno Jelly
Peach & Rum Jam
Peach & Port Jam
Pear Butter
Pear & Cabernet Wine Jam
Raspberry & Cointreau Jam
Raspberry & Peach Jam
Rhubarb Jam
Rhubarb & Ginger
Strawberry jam
Strawberry Basil Jam
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
Strawberry Vanilla Jam

and there are all the pickles, relishes and salsas. I'm ready for a break. Running out of room in the fruit cellar. LOL And running out of steam. I'm bushed.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Old October 24, 2017   #279
imp
Tomatovillian™

such a variety, zana, and many sound good!
Old October 24, 2017   #280
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
such a variety, zana, and many sound good!
Thanks. And I try to do most of the stuff as ones you wouldn't find in a grocery store or many others so they are more of a novelty when I sell them.

~ Anonymous

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Old October 24, 2017   #281
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

ohhh, cranberry jalapeno? do tell... maybe that is like my raspberry jalapeno...

The grape is a jelly. I had juice that I used. I just added a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves)
I loved the cherry cranberry. I used tart cherry juice to make that. I had a bottle of health food concentrate that I pulled out of the fridge to use up. I picked up a bottle of cranberry concentrate a while ago that was probably bushels of cranberries in a 16oz jar. This is a very intense flavor. tart and sweet. I probably could have watered it down a bit.

And the quince you probably need to grow your own? it isn't an easy to come by fruit here either. My brother brought me a 1/2 bushel a few years ago and they made 2 quarts of juice concentrate (via the mehu liisa pan). I canned that and it was sitting on the counter in the basement since then. I need to get a couple and just plant them in the edge of the yard somewhere....

anyway I counted my cases... up to 12 now. I did 3 batches of peach yesterday and a I still have a couple empty cases of jars. I need to work on applesauce though. 3 bushels of apples in the cooler.

Last edited by clkeiper; October 24, 2017 at 08:52 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2017   #282
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
ohhh, cranberry jalapeno? do tell... maybe that is like my raspberry jalapeno...

The grape is a jelly. I had juice that I used. I just added a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves)
I loved the cherry cranberry. I used tart cherry juice to make that. I had a bottle of health food concentrate that I pulled out of the fridge to use up. I picked up a bottle of cranberry concentrate a while ago that was probably bushels of cranberries in a 16oz jar. This is a very intense flavor. tart and sweet. I probably could have watered it down a bit.

Will have to try that for sure!

And the quince you probably need to grow your own? it isn't an easy to come by fruit here either. My brother brought me a 1/2 bushel a few years ago and they made 2 quarts of juice concentrate (via the mehu liisa pan). I canned that and it was sitting on the counter in the basement since then. I need to get a couple and just plant them in the edge of the yard somewhere....

anyway I counted my cases... up to 12 now. I did 3 batches of peach yesterday and a I still have a couple empty cases of jars. I need to work on applesauce though. 3 bushels of apples in the cooler.

So far I've made 22.75 cases of 250ml (half pints), 8 cases of 500ml (pints), 2.75 cases of 750ml, 1 case of actual old quart jars, 6 cases of 1 litres, 3 cases of 1.5 litres, 6 2 Litre jars and 5 Gallon Jars. Nearing the end, thankfully. My feet are sore...and my knees are not liking the abuse.

~ Anonymous

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Old October 24, 2017   #283
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

today was the tomato jam experiment. I saw a thread on here about it and since everyone thought it was wonderful (the ones I read anyway) I gave it a whirl. PUKE! it was sooooo sweet. so I doctored it all up and turned it into hot pepper jam with lots of vinegar and lemon juice and hot peppers. I used the basic recipe and kept adding to it until I thought it was okay. It's hot. I uses pablanos and lautshauer? peppers someone asked me to grow the plants for them and I had lots of starts so I put some in the garden too. nice little med hots? at least I don't think they are hot hot.
Old October 24, 2017   #284
imp
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, when my mother and I made tomato jam and jelly long ao, it was tomato juice just jelled with certo for the jelly, made a semi opaque jelly; the jam more or less the same but with sort of quite juicy/wet crushed tomatoes.

Both were not sweet, but more savory though there was some sugar involved, it stayed a bit more on the tart side.

Let me see if I can find that old recipe, it was good, even on toast and sandwiches both.
Old October 24, 2017   #285
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I followed the recipe from the national cannin g site. It is just gross.
I ordered pizza for supper since I was canning today and making applesauce....I stopped at Goodwill on my way through town... Whoop whoop! I picked up an all American 915 canner for 6.00.
1508887131084673563958.jpg

Last edited by clkeiper; October 24, 2017 at 07:20 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote