Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 31, 2018   #1
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Default This year's winners is.......

......Lucid Gem. It was tallest, greenist, healthiest (with exception of Mt. Magic) and most productive so far. Although not the tastiest, but it was good. My tastiest and sweetest is Steak Sandwich. I have never had a tomato this sweet, while still maintain it's tomato flavor.
I planted Big Daddy (biggest), Steak Sandwich (Sweetest), Chef's Orange (The weakest and most blighted), Lucid Gem (Best overall), Mountain Magic (Biggest surprise)
Old September 1, 2018   #2
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

This year's winners are . . .

Cherry: sungold and pink princess - both incredibly sweet right off the vine and both pass the golden retriever taste test. The grafted pink princess is still producing big delicious cherries.

Surprise producer & taste: Northern Lights. This bicolor reminds me of the ISPL I had last year in production. Every time I go out - there is another couple big Northerns. Very pretty sliced on plate with BWR, etc.

In ground dwarfs: Wild Spudleaf was delicious(I love dark tomatoes) and productive.

My mid and late tomatoes are really starting to roll in . . . but Olive Hill and Aunt Lou's Underground Railroad are both impressing my in that old time tomato flavor!
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2018   #3
eyegrotom
Tomatovillian™

I also had Northern Lights this year, only got around 10 tons from it. Yes it is very pretty sliced with good taste. It will be in the garden next year
eyegrotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2018   #4
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

The winner for me this year was Daniels. Thanks to Marsha.
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2018   #5
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

The winner this year is Not Vintage Wine. Thanks to Marsha. Probably the best I've ever tasted. Altaiskiy Oranzhevyi is a close second.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2018   #6
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Hawaiian Pineapple is the top contender for best sandwich tomato so far. Solid, sparse gel and seeds , but still juicy.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2018   #7
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Captain lucky.delicious, a note of 10 out of 10. Maybe it's the tomato that I liked the most so far. KARMA pink I liked it a lot too.
And of the Spanish relics:
★ Green of the páramos, another 10. They follow closely rosa de aracena, robledillo de la jara, mansilla de las mulas, rosa melillero

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2018   #8
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

For production, my best this year is Aunt Ruby's German Green (several were 1 lb. 3 1/2 oz., and most were around 1 lb.; the plant is super-productive); for taste, Paul Robeson (which really seems to love my micro-climate); for "biggest surprise," Super Snow White (a bit different, but delicious). Also very good - Jaune Flamme, Pink Ping Pong, and Green Mustang. My biggest disappointment is Goldman's Italian-American, which set its first two fruit about two weeks ago; I will probably see frost before either one ripens.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2018   #9
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Captain Lucky for me too. It's such a robust plant, with thick stems and big leaves. My tomato season was not a good one this year, but CL came thru for me, at least the one in-ground. The one in a big pot hardly produced at all for some reason.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2018   #10
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Sungold F1 actually.

It's the first time I get to grow it outside of Florida, both in Ohio and North Carolina, and can finally see the plant's full potential, huge improvement in yield.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2018   #11
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

My overall winner this season was Big Beef, as usual. They were as early as Early Girl, and produced a lot of >12oz fruit! The biggest surprise was my Chef's Choice Pink, which produced a large number of fruit >1.5 lbs...with very good flavor! Honorable Mention goes to the Snow White grape tomato...a very nice snacker!

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2018   #12
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Ivan hands down my best Red this year. Orange/yellows were Dina and Golden Delight. Black Krim produced more than I have ever seen before. Hawaiian is a very good currant tomato that I hadn't grown in years.
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2018   #13
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

For me the favorites and most productive were Lithium Sunset, Lavender Lake and Girl Girl's Weird thing (Thanks Marsha!). Loved all of them and everyone who sampled did as well.

I grew 14 different cherries. Best producing were Pink Princess, Japanese Pink, black cherry, Juliet ( a true workhorse)and Jelly Bean. Family favorites were the same-Pink Princess, Japanese Pink, black cherry, Jelly bean but also Chang Li. In comparing Black Cherry to Ron's carbon copy we thought the flavors were somewhat similar. Carbon Copy was smaller, a little later and not as productive. Black cherry won. That plant is always huge and just keeps on giving!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2018   #14
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

JD's Special C-Tex. Cross between Early Girl and Black Krim. In my never humble opinion I thought the taste was superior even to that of Cherokee Purple. My phone wanted to type T-Rex instead of C- Tex. Very hard to find seeds for this one.

Donna

Last edited by SpookyShoe; September 8, 2018 at 04:09 PM.
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2018   #15
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

By an extremely wide margin, SOTW was this years winner. Move over Brandywine Sudduth, Stump rises up to number 2 on my all-time favorite list.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote