Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 7, 2019   #1
Maticc
Tomatovillian™

Default What happened with my seedlings?

I left my seedlings outside yesterday. It was cold and they were caught in the rain.
And today they look like this...
I have some experience growing tomatoes but never saw this... any idea of what it might be?
Thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190507_203657.jpg (148.2 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190507_203707.jpg (149.3 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190507_203718.jpg (133.1 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190507_203729.jpg (150.8 KB, 138 views)
Maticc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It looks like they may be waterlogged. Remove the worst looking leaves and as soon as they dry out give them a bit of a liquid fertilizer. That much water usually takes out the nitrogen in the cups and they will need some to recover. Make sure the cups are draining well. I usually poke some extra holes in them when that happens.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019   #3
Maticc
Tomatovillian™

Hi b54red, thanks for the answer, but the rain barely caught them - it was raining very lightly. The cups were actually quite dry and I had to water them later. They were outside in a cold weather, leafes were wet.

Last week I went away for couple of days and watered them more then I usually. I kept them inside thought. Nothing happened, they were OK.

I seperated visibly affected ones (90% of all my seedlings) from the rest. Hoping for the best.
Old May 7, 2019   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

They look battered and bruised to me. Was it windy? A driving rain? Hail?
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019   #5
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Going to say cold damage for the first picture. I got it on some of them here with early plant outs.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019   #6
JoParrott

Were the leaves deformed before the rain/cold exposure? They appear to have some herbicide damage to me-- just a thought.
Old May 8, 2019   #7
Maticc
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys, I am a bit relieved noone mentioned some sort of virus (which was my first clue, lol).
I keep them inside or at my balcony (4th floor) so herbicide damage is highly unlikely. Termperatures were somtimes 35-40F so they were cold (+ wet on 1 or 2 occasions).

I removed most affected leafes and I'm hoping for the best!
Old May 8, 2019   #8
bower
Tomatovillian™

My guess is cold damage. Have seen horrible damage on wet leaves on a cold night, when everything dry came through perfectly. This is especially true for seedlings, which you've grown indoors and are just getting used to the outdoor elements. Wind alone can crisp up the leaves in a hurry. It can be even worse if their feet are wet on a cold night as well.

Good idea to remove the damaged leaves, and in my experience plants that are stressed when they first go outdoors can even lose all their too-tender leaves in a few days, but then grow new ones that are much tougher and can really hold their own. They almost look like a different variety, from 'tender' form to 'tough' leaf.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2019   #9
Maticc
Tomatovillian™

I have to say I am kind of relived you've all suggested cold damage. Which gives me a great hope for them to recover. Almost every seedling is of a diferent variety so the loss would be pretty big. It's also May already - quite late to start a new.
I used to have 100 - 250 varieties each year, this year my only gardening space will be my balcony and I can't wait to see it.
Thanks again for all your answers!
Old May 8, 2019   #10
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I would spray a very weak strength liquid copper fungicide as a precaution, because there might be some mildew. Use it at 1/2 of the weakest recommended strength on the label.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2019   #11
kameronth
Tomatovillian™

Just curious how they are doing as I am dealing with seedlings issues as well?
kameronth is offline   Reply With Quote