Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 9, 2018   #16
e.thad
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonseca View Post
It's not about saving a few bucks, it's about exploring the genetics and maybe discovering something awesome.

It's a hobby.
Right ... it's not about saving money on Sungold seeds. For me, it's about saving money on Nectar seeds ($3.95 + shipping for 10 seeds).

I'm shooting for a very sweet OP cherry that's a different color than Sungold, not an OP version of Sungold - which seems next to impossible. You'd have to grow thousands of plants (or get really lucky) to get the same exact combination of traits that Sungold F1 has.

I guess the real prize, for me, would be to come up with something that has the best characteristics of Sungold but with a different, one-of-a-kind taste profile.

So, I think my course of action will be to cross Sungold (or maybe an Ambrosia) with something that has other desirable taste characteristics (like Brandywine). Ultimately, if I could come up with something that combined super sweetness, with a complex taste, and an unusual shape/color, it would be really cool. Could you imagine a taste like that, that was maybe deeply striped blue and white? And maybe had an unusual shape? Now that would be really awesome!
e.thad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2018   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...pen+pollinated

Above is the closest I can come to describing 4 OP Sungolds that Reinhard Kraft in Germany developed.

He needed lots of the F1 to work with and mentioned to me that the F1 seeds in Germany were very expensive and I replied that Pinetree Seeds here in the US was selling packets of 10 seeds for, I can't remember and asked him how many packets he wanted,he told me, I bought them and sent them to him.

And I must get back to him and see what he's doing now for he's now retired but I think he still keeps his website up and knowing him as I do he's probably still growing tomatoes and much more.

Here is his website which also includes his e-mail address,but I wouldn't suggest that anyone em him and I see he's still posting for 2018.

http://www.reinhard-kraft.de/

But this is not going to help with his 4 OP varieties.

I'll search more at Tville since I know all 4 were posted here and several had grown all of them and stated their preferences. I think Lee was one of them.

And I can also try to pull up e-mails between Reinhard and my self when I have time which is not now.

Sungold Select

Sungold Select II

Maybe Big Sungold and that's as far as I can go.

And I remember that Manfred, who was selling seeds off of his website found one as well.

As for me I always grew the F1 hybrid. And last I knew Clara in Germany said Reinhard was also selling some seeds.

Carolyn
Old September 22, 2018   #18
e.thad
Tomatovillian™

I saved seeds from 3 of the Sungold F2s.

#1 - Currant size, gold/orange, intense, sweet (tasted like super concentrated SG)

#2 - Cherry size, red, taste like SG but not quite as intense.

#3 - Cherry size, orange, taste like SG but not quite as intense.

I have room for 10 plants. I'm going for a red cherry with the flavor of #1. Which F3 seeds should I plant? I can live without it being red or big, as long as it has the intense flavor of #3.

I'm guessing my best bet is planting seeds from #3 because it has more sweetness genes? I'm also guessing that although I have a better chance of getting the flavor I'm looking for with #3 seeds, there's no guarantee I'll see that same flavor in any of the F3s.

Last edited by e.thad; September 23, 2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old September 23, 2018   #19
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Why not go for #1? Since it has the intense flavor and the color, too.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2018   #20
e.thad
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Why not go for #1? Since it has the intense flavor and the color, too.
That's what I was thinking. Just wondering what the chances are, with only enough room for 10 F3s plants, that I get larger or different colored ones, but with the same taste as #1.
Old September 25, 2018   #21
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Since you like sweet cherries e.thad, have you ever tried Japanese Pink Cherry or Green Doctor's? Japanese Pink was just incredible in my garden. My kids loved them!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2018   #22
e.thad
Tomatovillian™

I have not. Read positive things about them here, though.