Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old January 13, 2007   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Container potatoes

I found a 35 gal trash can a couple years ago. Cleaned it up and drilled drainage holes in it, with the thought of trying to grow potatoes in it. Ive read where you can start of with the seed potatoes with a small amount of soil, then as they grow, add more soil until you get close to the top. My question is, what would be the best soil choice, and what variety might some of you suggest to try using this method? And of course, have any of you tried this?
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2007   #2
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I have seen this done with a basket at Calloway Gardens. They cut the bottom out and staked the basket over the plant. It appeared they did not use soil just straw. I think that is an added that you keep the taters clean when you container them. I will try it this year and add some pics.-Rena
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2007   #3
duajones
Tomatovillian™

mine have been in the container for over a week now, just wondering how long they usually take to come up?
Old February 28, 2007   #4
caascher2
Tomatovillian™

Let me know how it goes. I plan on using the container method as well. Just not time for mine to be planted yet. Probably in 2 weeks or so.
Carol
caascher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2007   #5
caascher2
Tomatovillian™

If you go back to the first page of this thread there is a discussion about container planting and whether it is worth it. Not sure if you saw this.
Carol
Old February 28, 2007   #6
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I saw the thread but still wanted to give it a try. Still wondering how long it takes for them to come up and I planned to use compost figuring I could buy it bagged, but the only thing I have found is cotton burr compost and am not sure if it is the right choice. Any suggestions as what soil to add as they grow would be greatly appreciated. I never planned on using straw
Old March 2, 2007   #7
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Noticed this morning there are a few emerging at the 10 day mark. So I at least know they are growing. I just need to figure out what type of soil to add when the time comes
Old March 8, 2007   #8
gardenmaniac
Tomatovillian™

I grow potatoes in buckets every year at home and at a preschool.

I use 5 gallon white paint buckets I just buy new from Lowes. You can also use free pickle buckets, but make sure they are light colors so they don't heat up too much. I then drill lots of drainage holes in the bottoms.

Then I place between 3-4 inches of soil (I'll get back to soil later) in the bottom, set the seed in the middle, and cover the seed with about 2 inches of more soil. If the seed is whole, I lay it on it's side, if it is cut, I place it cut-side down.

It can take a couple of weeks to sprout depending on how far along your eyes were when you planted them. This year I had one bucket take 1 month to sprout which is unusual.

When they get about 8-9 inches tall, I add soil but do not cover the top tier of leaves (I like to allow them hanging clearance as well). Let grow and fill with soil until the entire bucket is filled with soil to the top.

Make sure your buckets are watered well. You will not overwater because of the drainage holes. When they are large, I just have the kids water them daily as a routine. When the plants die back and are ready to harvest, just dump out the buckets over your garden or flower beds so you can re-use the soil. The potatoes just roll out.

As for the soil, I use packaged soil from a garden center that has NO fertilizers added. I think this is very important. It is actually difficult to find this. Home Depot has the whole line of Miracle Grow soils and I avoid them. Lowes has a tree and shrub soil that I buy. I then add amendments in the beginning or after the first layer of soil has been added. I use Roots Alive but you can use whatever you want.

We plant potatoes no later than February 14 here in Tallahassee- zone 8b. Our planting window is from Mid- January to Mid- February to make sure they are grown before the hot weather sets in. The great thing about buckets is that you can move them into a garage or other protected locations when a freeze comes. I order my potatoes online just after Christmas (to avoid them being lost in the mail) and that gives them a little time to break their dormancy from being in cold storage. Our potatoes are usually ready by the end of May.

For those of you with kids, this is the BEST gardening activity. I even have the kids paint their own buckets. We grow several colors and shapes which astonish the kids as well. I've had stories from parents telling me their children created little shrines at home with their colored potatoes and refused to eat them because they loved them so much...

I hope I helped.

Tiffanie
gardenmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2007   #9
gardenmaniac
Tomatovillian™

Tom- What is your opinion on how frequent you should bury the stems? Also, should I just bury it up to the top node of leaves, or should I allow some space like I described above? What I do works, but perhaps I could do better I also would like your opinion on amendments to the basic soil mentioned above (aged compost etc.). I am always concerned about adding too much compost and having a scab problem.

Thanks,
Tiffanie
Old March 8, 2007   #10
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Here they are today

Old March 8, 2007   #11
caascher2
Tomatovillian™

They look great!
Carol
Old March 9, 2007   #12
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Tiffanie says
Quote:
Tom- What is your opinion on how frequent you should bury the stems? Also, should I just bury it up to the top node of leaves, or should I allow some space like I described above?
Just use common sense; bury a leaf or two at a time. If you do this a couple of times you are doing great. The main thing is to cover the developing tubers and anchor in the stems. If you can cover with a mix of worm castings, soil, compost and whatnot....and if not why not?

Tom
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2007   #13
gardenmaniac
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Tom. That's mainly what I was doing. It's great to have an opinion from someone who has grown a heck of a lot more potatoes than I have!

duajones- great picture! I'll try to take a pic of mine this afternoon when the sun is up and post it here.

Tiffanie
Old March 9, 2007   #14
gardenmaniac
Tomatovillian™

This is a pic of my potatoes today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg potatoes in buckets.JPG (75.0 KB, 90 views)
Old March 9, 2007   #15
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Looking good!! yours are a little farther along than mine.