Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 16, 2018   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Looking for help with new Solo 2-gal sprayer.

I bought one of these, and am getting ready to use it for the first time. It came with several spray nozzles and orifice plates.

What do other users of the Solo find the best spray setup? Regular standard "hole" tip, the flat spray tip? Or?

Suggestions would be very welcome!

GG

Last edited by Greatgardens; June 16, 2018 at 08:28 PM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
I bought one of these, and am getting ready to use it for the first time. It came with several spray nozzles and orfice plates.

What do other users of the Solo find the best spray setup? Regular standard "hole" tip, the flat spray tip? Or?

Suggestions would be very welcome!

GG
I had the same 2 gal Solo sprayer,but when I could do my own gardening, trying different options as you mentioned above,I highly suggest using the flat spray tip.

I found that that gives better coverage than the standard hole tip which sprays a strong single spray and just knocks the foliage around.

Carolyn
Old June 16, 2018   #3
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

I like the plastic T with herbacide - like spraying perimters. The spray patter is a wide flat---

For plants, I prefer the adjustable nozzle set to fine mist - I also have a atomizer coming off the wand and then the tip, which makes it super *mistier*
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018   #4
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
I like the plastic T with herbacide - like spraying perimters. The spray patter is a wide flat---

For plants, I prefer the adjustable nozzle set to fine mist - I also have a atomizer coming off the wand and then the tip, which makes it super *mistier*
Is the atomizer something that came with it? I've got a little flat plate with a couple of slots in it. Could that be the atomizer?
Old June 16, 2018   #5
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

No. I don't believe it comes with your Solo. Was just posting my preferred setups.
Old June 16, 2018   #6
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Carolyn. I'll try the flat nozzle. I used the round one briefly, but didn't think much of the spray pattern.
Old June 17, 2018   #7
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Solo has these extended wands,and inverted tips for the times when you have to spray under the leaf,leaves,for some of those critters that love to hide there.

https://www.amazon.com/Solo-4900478-...QZ3C8DE3P3KV6D
Old June 17, 2018   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Thanks, Carolyn. I'll try the flat nozzle. I used the round one briefly, but didn't think much of the spray pattern.
What I forgot to say is you can adjust how fine the spray is by twisting that band that holds the tip from heavy mist all the way to light misting.

Carolyn
Old June 17, 2018   #9
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I sat in a class for CEUs for a spray license a few years ago. Nozzle spray tips was a 45 minute discussion which we never finished in the amount of time we had. each color represents an average droplet spray size and flow rate. this is what regulates the amount of spray you are spraying on a crop. whether there is wind or not and how far it can be carried to someone else's crops (especially if you are spraying an herbicide)due to the droplet size... the smaller the droplet the farther it is carried. the label on the bottle should also tell you the nozzle you should use for it to be most effective. that said... many people are spraying home made sprays.... If your sprayer came with an elbow use that for better coverage under the leaves.

I found this somewhere and we like it. it works well for changing the spray pattern without effort.
https://us.solo.global/nozzles-nozzl...n-nozzle.html?

Last edited by clkeiper; June 17, 2018 at 01:27 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018   #10
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Yes, tightening the tip works pretty much like sprayers I have used in the past. But today I tried the "slot" tip and that is terrific! That will cut my spraying time by at least half and give me way better coverage.

Thanks for the link on the parts/tips! I was looking for something like that yesterday, but was not successful in finding anything really useful.

I really do like the fact that pretty much everything can be maintained or replaced with off-the-shelf parts on this Solo.

-GG
Old June 18, 2018   #11
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Found this from post years ago.

http://www.horticulturesource.com/ac...da-wand-p7793/

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...=Solo+sprayers

Above is the older one.

Last edited by kurt; June 18, 2018 at 08:03 AM.
kurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018   #12
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Kurt. Those are helpful!
Old June 18, 2018   #13
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

GG. I dunno. Personally, while the flat slot has more output and coverage span, I like to use a mist round to control spray coverage and density. Eh, maybe it's me, but less is more in this applicaiton
Old June 19, 2018   #14
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I'll try several, to see what seems to work best... But I can see some advantages to both those tips.
Old June 25, 2018   #15
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I sprayed all my plants last evening with Soap Shield (copper). Used the slot tip, and it did really well -- took about an hour + 3 gallons of spray to do in-ground, EarthBoxes, and the other containers. This is a good sprayer -- much better than I've ever used before. Most importantly, very few signs of disease!