Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 20, 2018   #1
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Default Does Root Damage Cause BER - CalMAG vs BER Spray

Containers chugging along. Went online to order a bottle of CalMag supplement.

I did put lime in waay back as part of container prep.

Anyhow, noticed some tomatoes on the vine have BER.
The newer smaller ones. The larger older ones do not exhibit it yet.

Anyhow, will damaged/hot roots cause this.
This year, seems like all my containers have gone root gangbusters. Roots outside the bottom of the pot (these are fabric pots so the roots get air pruned) and when I pull the mulch back, the top looks like a weave of roots.

The tops are getting dry *just due the location+sun* and have been drying out mid-day.
I will say they have gotton some heat stress - whereas other containers in a better sited location are fine. The lower-middle leaves have the typical leaf curl - leathery leaves
Plants are not getting thirsty or wilting.

BTW, if anyone knows, what is the difference between CalMag supplement (feeding soil) versus BER spray
Root uptake surely has to be more efficient than foliar ?

Last edited by mobiledynamics; June 20, 2018 at 12:47 PM.
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2018   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
Containers chugging along. Went online to order a bottle of CalMag supplement.

I did put lime in waay back as part of container prep.

Anyhow, noticed some tomatoes on the vine have BER.
The newer smaller ones. The larger older ones do not exhibit it yet.

Anyhow, will damaged/hot roots cause this.
This year, seems like all my containers have gone root gangbusters. Roots outside the bottom of the pot (these are fabric pots so the roots get air pruned) and when I pull the mulch back, the top looks like a weave of roots.

The tops are getting dry *just due the location+sun* and have been drying out mid-day.
I will say they have gotton some heat stress - whereas other containers in a better sited location are fine. The lower-middle leaves have the typical leaf curl - leathery leaves
Plants are not getting thirsty or wilting.

BTW, if anyone knows, what is the difference between CalMag supplement (feeding soil) versus BER spray
Root uptake surely has to be more efficient than foliar ?
What, specifically, is the mix you have in your containers and I ask since when growing in containers, earthboxes and similar re BER is very different than growing inground, etc.

Have you added any Ca++ to your containers?

BER spraying plants is very controversial.

Perhaps the following link might help,which I was asked to write, but forgot to mention internal BER where symptoms only appear after you cut open the fruit.

https://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/291012/

The major problem is getting Ca++ into the fruits and as you can see from the link there are many reasons for that,from drought,high heat,high winds , etc.

Hope the above helps,

Carolyn
Old June 20, 2018   #3
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

My mix is bark/coarse vermiculite.
I decided to add some more to the containers planting so I took medium from all existing containers and equalized it amongst new/old containers. Then topped them all with more fresh bark/coarse vermic.

Splash of CRF which has CA/MG, some dol lime, and it get's primarily liquid feedings in between. I have yet to add any liquid CA, hence the post.

I do know due to the slight change to add more containers, the new bark in the the mix is not fully composted, but sofar, aside from the medium not being as rentative as I want, there is no N lockup.

Just wasnt sure which way to order - BER spray (which I said foliar will not net me as much as intake via roots). Wasn't sure over here at the 'ville, was here a consensus favorite. Based on your linked read, it may not even be CA ?

Last edited by mobiledynamics; June 20, 2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old June 23, 2018   #4
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Cmo Amazon. Don't fail me now. Wheres my CalMag order. Was on my hands and knees inspecting/discarding. In total. I've probably chucked away 2 dozen sofar.