Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old April 20, 2010   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Parthenocarpic cuke varieties

I have grown Diva, County Fair and Cool Breeze and they all seem to drop quite a few of the first blossoms for whatever reason. Is this common?
Old April 20, 2010   #2
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I've had the same experience. Have you tried Little Leaf H19? It did very well for me last year, under cover, until the cuke bugs got under the cover.
Old April 22, 2010   #3
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I havent tried it. I have had good success with the varieties mentioned as they usually start slow and drop quite a few blossoms. But they always seem to kick it in high gear once they get going. Cool Breeze has started to set fruit now after dropping many
Old April 22, 2010   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

It's been a while since I grew any parthenocarpic varieties but as I recall, one of the things that triggers fruit set is day length. Maybe that has something to do with it??? Makes sense that as we get closer to June 21 you would see fruit setting. Does that sound right?
Old April 22, 2010   #5
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I do remember reading something to that effect now that you mention it. length of day is growing by about 10 minutes per week right now. Cool Breeze is starting to set, County Fair is close to flowering and Diva is just now developing its first true leaves. Length of Day should be more favorable for Diva and it will be interesting to see if it develops the early blossoms better