Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 19, 2006   #16
Little_Rhody
Tomatovillian™

Suze,

Thanks for your reply. I think I might have to try something with copper because I've sprayed with daconil and still have some "issues".
Old August 8, 2006   #17
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

I hadn't really looked at other than the tomato or pepper discussion forums until I decided to explore after visiting the photo gallery.

I'm posting here to clear up what appears to be a misunderstanding that mancozeb contains copper. It contains NO copper whatsoever. Copper really only is used for bacterial diseases generally and as a preventative. The metals mancozeb contains are manganese and zinc.

Anthracnose was always a serious scourge in New Jersey from the first tomato I ever planted. Back in the day, there were 2 fungal controls, Maneb (manganese) or Zineb (zinc). And they were very effective, as is mancozeb.

I have been alternating mancozeb and Daconil since I noticed mancozeb did a better job against early blight, while Daconil did a MUCH better job against septoria and botrytis.

I'm so happy never to have seen anthracnose up here
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2006   #18
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater
I'm posting here to clear up what appears to be a misunderstanding that mancozeb contains copper. It contains NO copper whatsoever. Copper really only is used for bacterial diseases generally and as a preventative. The metals mancozeb contains are manganese and zinc.
Agreed. I generally use/mix mancozeb with copper, and should have been more clear about that.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote