Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old September 11, 2006   #1
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

Default NOW WITH PIC Strange pinholes (4) in 1 ripe Lemon Boy tomato

There are 4 tiny pinholes in my lemon boy tomato. I picked it ripe/ I am 90% sure they werent there when I picked it. On my kitchen counter....I went to slice up a tomato for my son, and the holes were there. I gave him a mortgage lifter instead.....but what would cause pinholes? Thanks for your time.

Heather
bizzarbazzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2006   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Stink bugs will leave pinholes/punctures, frequently along with corky spots surrounding the punctured area. There are also a couple of other insects that can leave punctures.

It shouldn't affect the edibility of the fruits, at least from a safety perspective.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2006   #3
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Its possible, I was looking at pics of the damage they do and it may be them. Im not positive because I cant find a really good online pic of the damage they do. I decided to post a pic this is the blossom end and 3 of the holes...... Probably would have been easier if I did that in the first place. Thanks so much for your time

Old September 13, 2006   #4
COgarden
Tomatovillian™

Odd that the spots appeared while on your counter instead of in the garden. I'd take a close look on your plants for other tomatoes with the same spots. Had it happened in the garden my first thought would be flea beatles.

During the worst times for flea beatles I see similar damage on the lowest toms on my plants. Hard to tell the scale on the photo, the spots I get are pinhead sized and don't affect the immediate area at all. Still a perfectly edible tomato but it does gross me out a bit when I find one covered with them.

Kurt
COgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2006   #5
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

Thats it, thats it. Thank you so much Kurt....I guess it could have had the damage when I picked it and just didnt notice it.. So its edible? I just viewed photos of the flea beetles and I have seen a few of them here and there. I guess I am lucky nothing else has been damaged so far.

Take care

Heather