Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 25, 2017   #1
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Default Purple Price Tomato

I was looking at old Tomatoville threads and have been for a couple of years and I think I am up to 2011 now. If you haven't you really should as there were some awesome tomato threads back then.

So I am looking at a best tasting thread or something like that and Purple Price was mentioned mostly as an afterthought as being tasty and similar to Cherokee Purple.

I am interested in this tomato for 3 reasons;

1- It is similar to Cherokee Purple

2- It is Potato Leaf

3- It is a Virginia Heirloom?

I did a search on the web and could find very little info on it and maybe a handful of people who have grown it. It has been used in some successful crosses but the history is vague. Is it really an heirloom? Was it bred by Tad Smith? Did he acquire it from Mattaponi Tribe in Central Virginia?

I know it is long shot but has anyone grown this tomato and was it good or bad? Just seems weird that a Black Tomato during the Black tomato craze went mostly unnoticed. I found 3 places still selling it so I guess there must be a market for it.

https://store.tomatofest.com/Purple_Price_p/tf-0406.htm

Lovely day in Eastern Virginia, 64 degrees. partly cloudy. low humidity and winds variable at 3 knots
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2017   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
I was looking at old Tomatoville threads and have been for a couple of years and I think I am up to 2011 now. If you haven't you really should as there were some awesome tomato threads back then.

So I am looking at a best tasting thread or something like that and Purple Price was mentioned mostly as an afterthought as being tasty and similar to Cherokee Purple.

I am interested in this tomato for 3 reasons;

1- It is similar to Cherokee Purple, no, not at all IMO

2- It is Potato Leaf, yes

3- It is a Virginia Heirloom?, no,it was bred by Tad Smith who has a Ph.D in plant breeding and was a good friend of both Craig L and myself.He used to custom breed for both of us as well. One of them was a small striped fruit,a 3 way cross, Craig didn't have room to grow it out, so I did, and it served as the basis for his Lucky Cross, Little Lucky, and many more

%%%%%%

I did a search on the web and could find very little info on it and maybe a handful of people who have grown it. It has been used in some successful crosses but the history is vague. Is it really an heirloom? Was it bred by Tad Smith? Did he acquire it from Mattaponi Tribe in Central Virginia?

I know it is long shot but has anyone grown this tomato and was it good or bad? Just seems weird that a Black Tomato during the Black tomato craze went mostly unnoticed. I found 3 places still selling it so I guess there must be a market for it.

https://store.tomatofest.com/Purple_Price_p/tf-0406.htm

Lovely day in Eastern Virginia, 64 degrees. partly cloudy. low humidity and winds variable at 3 knots
As noted above I have grown it and it's not really black, viz Cherokee Purple is not Purple.

It's a cross between Pale Perfect Purple and Purple Price

As noted in my heirloom tomato book Pale Perfect Purple is the cross he made between Purple Price and Ozark Pink. Page 184 in my book as well as the appendix.

Would I grow it again,probably not ,it's just been so long ago that these days I can have Freda grow just a few for me and there are so many other ones to grow that I don't need to grow it again..

Try it, see how you like it

Oh, and Tad was living in Virginia at the time.

Carolyn, who just checked your link to Ibsen and he is wrong,it is not an heirloom at all
Old October 25, 2017   #3
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Thank You very much Carolyn
Old October 26, 2017   #4
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

You have an heirloom book?? Who knew?
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2017   #5
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssgarden View Post
Just about everyone on here and lots of other folk as well. Very popular and informative, too.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2017   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You knew so don't pretend you don't know.

I see you are continuing on your snarky posts to me.If it gives you comfort and joy you should be thanking me for that.

Carolyn
Old October 26, 2017   #7
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
You knew so don't pretend you don't know.

I see you are continuing on your snarky posts to me.If it gives you comfort and joy you should be thanking me for that.

Carolyn
Carolyn, I figured the poster was being a continued snark, just wanted to be snarky back to them. I am a bit tired of them being ugly to you and do not see where they think they will get any benefit from it, other than letting everyone else know what sort of person they are.
Old October 26, 2017   #8
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I find it disturbing and unsavory.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2017   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
I find it disturbing and unsavory.
Thank you.

And if it continues, as it has for many years now, I can do something about it so it will never happen again, as in permanently.

Enough is enough.

I just checked and he's been here since 2007.

Carolyn
Old October 26, 2017   #10
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

I just find the self promoting posts funny. Always Me, me, me!

Never anything rude or insulting.

It has not happened for 'many years now' so stop.

Greg, who is not intimidated about anything being done 'permanently' here at T-ville when I have done nothing wrong..and find little sign offs silly.

Have a good day.
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2017   #11
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
As noted above I have grown it and it's not really black, viz Cherokee Purple is not Purple.

It's a cross between Pale Perfect Purple and Purple Price

As noted in my heirloom tomato book Pale Perfect Purple is the cross he made between Purple Price and Ozark Pink. Page 184 in my book as well as the appendix.

Would I grow it again,probably not ,it's just been so long ago that these days I can have Freda grow just a few for me and there are so many other ones to grow that I don't need to grow it again..

Try it, see how you like it

Oh, and Tad was living in Virginia at the time.

Carolyn, who just checked your link to Ibsen and he is wrong,it is not an heirloom at all
Well I was going to try it and I got to the checkout and it would not calculate the shipping and handling and had no idea why. Then I noticed there is a 15 dollar minimum order. But it is California and as they say in Hollywood, "That's show-biz"

I did find out some more information. Not sure but Purple Price was listed in SSE yearbooks in 1990, which actually predates Cherokee Purple if that is true for whatever it's worth. Also very well could have been an heirloom as Tad Smith was selecting for smoother fruits back in the 1980's. He also could have bred it I guess.

Still looking
Old October 27, 2017   #12
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I just find the self promoting posts funny. Always Me, me, me!

Never anything rude or insulting.

It has not happened for 'many years now' so stop.

Greg, who is not intimidated about anything being done 'permanently' here at T-ville when I have done nothing wrong..and find little sign offs silly.

Have a good day.
Your opinion of Carolyn's posts is just your opinion, no matter how wrong it is, but being discourteous, rude, and disrespectful of others reflects on your own self.

Carolyn has shared so much information, time, as well as seeds with many people, as well as being ( and sharing) helpful to others ranging from diseases to histories of many varieties of tomatoes.

She should get more "thank you" comments, not some one showing their ugly side, especially with out any provocation on her part.

Besides that, Carolyn is my friend and I don't like what you have been doing. Pick on me is one thing, but pick on one of my friends and it REALLY p isses me off. I'd tell you to stick that in your pipe and smoke it, then what to do with the pipe, but I think your head is in the way already causing a major blockage of that orifice.

Hopefully, M. will correct this behavior of yours quickly and effectively.

Edit:

Sorry, I forgot- Have a nice day!

Last edited by imp; October 27, 2017 at 12:56 AM.
Old October 27, 2017   #13
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I have some seeds. They are older but should still be good
I grew it about 6 years ago. It was alright, not outstanding for me.
There are better blacks imo. Lots of them but if you want to grow this one I’ll send you a few seeds if you agree to save seeds and send me a few back to refresh my supply.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2017   #14
oakley
Tomatovillian™

"I was looking at old Tomatoville threads and have been for a couple of years and I think I am up to 2011 now. If you haven't you really should as there were some awesome tomato threads back then."

I do that all the time. Just yesterday I read through this entire
thread...I had a certain set amount of time to kill...then jotted
down BearCreek and a few other varieties to look up.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34952

Last edited by oakley; October 27, 2017 at 04:35 AM.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2017   #15
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I've been reading backward through all the general discussion posts since I arrived. It's fascinating.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote