Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 19, 2014   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Burpee's "Eco-friendly" Organic Seed Starting Mix

Has anyone else tried this? I bought a bag of it from Menard last month and was skeptical, because it is Coir, but the stuff seems quite good. It is a finer grind than their Coir pellets, but very, very uniform, and has zero "trash" (such as fine plates of bark and bits of rock and stems) that I find in most Peat seed starting mixes. There is a very tiny amount of what looks to be Perlite scattered here and there, but I would say less than 1% of the visible mix.

I set up a small comparison between Metro Mix, Burpee's coir, Jiffy Peat pellets, and Burpee's Coir pellets. Can see no differences thus far, other than both the pellets have a small edge in ease of use. But only three weeks since planting. Best germination was 4 days. "Worst" was 8 days. All but one seed had germinated by 6 days. Total germination was 94%.

Any other Coir mixes that folks have tried and like/dislike?

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I watched Burpee's video about it. They don't say exactly other than it's "primarily coir" and PH balanced, but it does look like they have some fine perlite in it and it has some organic fertilizer.
I have some Burpee's Coir pellets but haven't tried them yet.
I've been using coir in some of my own seed starting mixes and have used Just Right Xtra which is a coir based potting soil. No complaints, I like coir.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

I'm watching this thread, GG, as I'm looking for an alternative to the ProMix BX that I've been using for the past few years. Can't use up a 3.8 cu. ft. bale in one season and have trouble with damping off, mold growth, etc. if I use leftovers. It's also got too much "trash" in it. Have some Jiffy peat pellets but have never tried coir.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #4
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I'm using Burpee's eco-friendly organic seed starting mix for my flower seeds.
It's coconut fiber. My seeds are growing fine in them. My veggies I'm just
starting in peat pellets. When I put a little diluted fish emulsion I does get
a little bit of white fungus, on the coconut fiber. I just lightly rub it off with
my finger and it's gone.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #5
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

I used it to start an entire tray of pepper seeds. It seems to be doing great!
Old February 21, 2014   #6
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

This is the one where I used Burpees eco friendly starting mixuploadfromtaptalk1393009023704.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Old February 21, 2014   #7
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

I used miracle grow orchids mix for this tray...
uploadfromtaptalk1393009216466.jpg

Old March 14, 2014   #8
Timomac
Tomatovillian™

I am using this mix this year. I don't recall seeing it before at my local big box store. I saw it was organic and had a little organic fertilizer, not too much. The seeds have been in for 5 or 6 days and I'm seeing about 40% germination, which I think is pretty good. We'll see how the rest do.

It's a pretty light mix and hasn't gummed up like some other products I've tried. I see a little moss I guess - a few small dots here and there. Dunno if that means the mix has some residual spores or that my basement does. I've had the same in the past so - time to clean the basement better or put in better windows.

I've tried something new it seems every year and I would say this mix is better than average with a final review pending.
Timomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2014   #9
sergeant69
Tomatovillian™

QUESTION........at the stage where the plants are in the pic, how long before you will repot? mine look like that too (when they do sprout) and the long stems worry me. I see pics that have short bushy seedlings and those are what I want. when mine look like those in the pic I get a lot of damping off. so I repot real quick to get the stems into medium so they can't fall over. HELP!!
sergeant69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2014   #10
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

I just repotted all of my peppers last weekend.

Old March 16, 2014   #11
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

This is a week after being in a 4" pot. They really took off after repotting. ALTHOUGH! They are now in metromix 360

Last edited by Dork Fish; March 16, 2014 at 12:44 PM.
Dork Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2014   #12
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeant69 View Post
QUESTION........at the stage where the plants are in the pic, how long before you will repot? mine look like that too (when they do sprout) and the long stems worry me. I see pics that have short bushy seedlings and those are what I want. when mine look like those in the pic I get a lot of damping off. so I repot real quick to get the stems into medium so they can't fall over. HELP!!
A little over 3 weeks. You need to make sure there is plenty of air movement. Helps with the dampening off. Fan comes on with the lights.