Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old December 11, 2016   #1
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default My seedlings are far too Spindly..

Hi..I bet this has been covered so could anybody please direct me to a post ...My seeds that I have propagated have always been very spindly and it amazes me how small plants in the shops have such thick stems so there must be a method for this...I have 40 seeds propagating now in a self watering propagator(Perosene) ...they are just appearing from the mix so I presume they are not far away from the crucial period of growth..As I understand it is temperature related ...At this stage they are under lights and have appeared far quicker than ever before even though I thought the seed raising mix looked like crushed coal??? ...
Thanks Ron
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2016   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Inadequate light is the most common culprit. If you are using fluorescent lights, they need to be as close as they can get without touching the plant. It takes a lot of adjusting as the plants grow.

I don't know about NZ, but here in the US a lot of plants sold at big stores have been treated with a growth regulator, which is what makes them look so stout. It's just for looks and likely has a negative effect on the plant's overall health.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2016   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

While inadequate light, as Cole_Robbie says, is the most common culprit, I think too high of a temperature and not putting a fan on them for a few hours a day at least can also contribute to spindliness.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2016   #4
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

I'm a little confused. You started this thread in October?

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...cold+treatment

The cold treatment works well for me. Lights close to the seedlings and a fan are good advice as well.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2016   #5
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
I'm a little confused. You started this thread in October?

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...cold+treatment

The cold treatment works well for me. Lights close to the seedlings and a fan are good advice as well.

Steve
Hi Sorry about that ...I have a memory problem ..What else can I say except unfortunately its getting worse...probably caused by old age ..
Thanks Ron
Old December 24, 2016   #6
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

I'm with you.

My starts didn't appreciate the low light coming in a north window in early December. Got tall very quickly with very thin stem. A few falling over too. Live and learn. Grow lights got dusted off and set up asap. Supported the tilting starts to be upright and now a few weeks later the stems are thick. Seemed to be a light issue. Though I do blow on them...cheap wind.lol

Good luck.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2016   #7
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Ps. I'm going into winter here in December......and growing indoors , the bathroom .
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2016   #8
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi..Thanks for your comment and a Merry Xmas...I have just propagated another lot of seeds.under grow lights....Now some are not that bad and some are weak and some cells?? Well they are a no show...
Lastnight I had to transplant a number cause they were just too tall ....I had a super?? Seeding mix and I mixed it with perlite BUT I really do not know what to do now to get them to develop their stems ...They did not look happy this morning so I gave them some light by way of Fluoro lights (not grow lights) although I could use grow lights if i am advised to do so...I am very wary of using lights as unless I can get them at the right height they will only get spindlier.Cheers Ron
Old December 25, 2016   #9
frankcar1965
Tomatovillian™

Always too little light and too high a temp, and keep a fan running. Also sometimes I feel that keeping them a little on the dry side helps. And with fluorescent lights you really can't have too much. This only happens with HID lights and then I think, it is actually too high temps.
frankcar1965 is offline   Reply With Quote