Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 23, 2017   #1
Kpr121
Tomatovillian™

Default Homestead tomatoes - septoria prone?

I'm having a problem with every one of my homestead tomatoes... I'm about 95% sure its septoria, and its a pretty bad case where it seems there are 2-3 more limbs succumbing to it each day. I've been clipping and destroying the bad foliage and applied serenade and copper spray but I'm thinking of just pulling them all.

We have had a relentless rainy June so far, so maybe these normally heat loving plants just cant take all the moisture. It probably doesn't help that I am growing intensively (plants spaced at ~18 inches but leaf-pruned heavily).

The other plants (brandywine, big beef, early girl, early pick, roma, Cherokee black, yellow pear, giant paste) in the garden are doing well, no real signs of any diseases yet. I have sprayed them all as well.

Is homestead particularly prone to disease in wetter conditions? Should I be worried about the disease spreading to others.
Kpr121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2017   #2
Kpr121
Tomatovillian™

Here is a picture of the leaves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2520.jpg (395.3 KB, 49 views)
Old June 24, 2017   #3
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I personally can not answer that, but if mine looked like that I would rip them out and plant something else. I planted a few for the first time but am not sure they are actually even homestead as they look more like a olpaka fruit... not round fruit... long skinny fruit.
Old June 24, 2017   #4
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I haven't grown Homestead, but I would definitely pull those plants. Yikes!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2017   #5
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

I have not grown Homestead yet, but was planning on getting some seeds to plant next year. So I hope someone can answer your question, as I will pass on that variety if they are more susceptible to disease.

Does the entire plant look like that or just part of it?
Country Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2017   #6
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

My homestead doesn't look like that, it's nice and green. I've had to prune a few leaves each week but it's doing very well. I hope I don't see that on mine and I hope your question gets answered too.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2017   #7
Kpr121
Tomatovillian™

It's not the entire plant, it's only the bottom third to a half. The plants are about 4 ft tall so 18 inches or so....

I spent a good 2 hrs trimming all the dead leaf branches and spotted leaves. Then I applied a bleach spray to all the plants, and once that dried I applied a copper and seranade fungicide. I'll check them again tomorrow. If anything there is plenty of airflow going through the plants now. We shall see.