Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 19, 2007   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomatoes a big success!!!!!

That’s right all of my large tomatoes have ripened and have been eaten by my wife and her friends at work.
I might have a few when I get home this week but who knows.
It figures that they would all turn ripe while I was at work but that’s ok by me.
If some good folks got turned on by some real good heirloom tomatoes they have never seen before then it was all worth it.

These computer nuts where my wife works at might have to come up with a nice new video card for my computer for this one.

It’s just makes me feel good that these folks enjoy my garden goodies every year and I always get my hand washed by them if you know what I mean.

So I guess Worth’s tomato tasting took place without me but that’s ok they loved the tomatoes and had no problem eating a black tomato.

I also took some tomatoes with me to work and invited my dearest friends to my room.
We all had tomatoes and they all loved them.
Then I invited one of my best friends to the room and I gave him a big bag of tomatoes to take with him along with some fresh garlic I grew.
I know it really meant something to him that I brought some tomatoes to him.
That’s reward enough for me.
I think I saw tears in his eyes when he left but of course it might have been the garlic.
See you guys when I get home in three days.

Later,

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2007   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Worth said. "I know it really meant something to him that I brought some tomatoes to him.
That’s reward enough for me".
Ain't that the truth!!! Ami
Old June 20, 2007   #3
Warren
Tomatovillian™

Sweet. glad to hear that your garden is doing well.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2007   #4
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Good growin Worth !

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2007   #5
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Congrats Worth! The gift of giving always feels good
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2007   #6
Rena
Tomatovillian™

You are a good friend
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2007   #7
bigcheef
Tomatovillian™

You know what Worth,

Knowing that people have enjoyed the fruits of your labor is almost as rewarding as enjoying them yourself... almost .

More and more people are beginning to realize the value of a real tomato. Heck, even the word "heirloom" is now one of the fastes growing buzz words in the produce supply/restaurant world.

I hope your fellow Ice Road Warrior enjoys those special fruits, which brings me to a question I have been meaning to ask...

Are you and your friends on the new show "Ice Road Warriors"??? It's been coming on the History chanel I believe, and is all about the perils experienced by driving across the ice in the Arctic.

If so, I'll be lookin for a truck with a mater stain out the driver side window .

RIK
Cause I could be pushin up a home grown tomater

Lyrics by Guy Clark
bigcheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2007   #8
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

I am a dummy! I had been suckered!

A neighbor came by and saw my Green Sausage tomatoes. He insisted that they are not tomatoes, "You are not fooling me, those are peppers, no way they are tomatoes".

I started to argue with him heatedly, finally, I had to say to him," Look, I am right that these are tomatoes. Listen, I will proof to you. When they are ripe I will give them for you to try out!"

He said, "O.K." and walked away with a grin.

I realized that he knew what he was doing. My very first ripe Green Sausages!

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2007   #9
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

dcarch, hook, line and sinker. Good stuff. Ami
Old June 21, 2007   #10
dice
Tomatovillian™

Maybe you could sneak in a pepper with them.
Old June 21, 2007   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Ice road trucker?????????
Nope!
Then some folks think I work on a crab boat??????
Nope!
Darn discovery channel!
What I do is work on fire protection systems on the North Slope at Prudhoe Bay in Alaska.8)
They should have a show about us guys that keep the oil flowing to you guys down south.

And of course worry abut my plants while I’m at work

See you all later.

Worth
Old June 21, 2007   #12
bigcheef
Tomatovillian™

Just jokin with ya,

Keep that sweet petro flowin Worth. Lord knows we don't need another gas price increase any time soon (or ever).

Maybe we could get you guys on Dirty Jobs ?!?!

RIK8)
Cause I could be pushin up a home grown tomater

Lyrics by Guy Clark
bigcheef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2007   #13
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
-----------They should have a show about us guys that keep the oil flowing to you guys down south. -
Worth
I did see a documentary recently on the pipeline work on our Public Channel (#13). Very interesting. I wish i had taped it.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2007   #14
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Ice road trucker?????????
Nope!
Then some folks think I work on a crab boat??????
Nope!
Darn discovery channel!
What I do is work on fire protection systems on the North Slope at Prudhoe Bay in Alaska.8)
They should have a show about us guys that keep the oil flowing to you guys down south.

And of course worry abut my plants while I’m at work

See you all later.

Worth

well there IS another show called "oil, sweat, rigs" iirc and i never watch it but i have caught bits and pieces channel surfing. it seems to be on when i'm watching something and i tape enough stuff that i did not want to add another hour i have to watch.

last week i was surfing and saw THE GREAT FROZEN NORTH appear on the tv screen (!) and said "hey, what's this?" wiping the drool from my mouth realizing i just found something very interesting. and so i saw an episode of oil, sweat, rigs.

this episode was split between building a drilling tower on a platform in the gulf of mexico (interesting but...) and a drilling rig somewhere in alaska (now THAT"S ENTERTAINMENT!).

it had to be just below the arctic circle as the date was 12/23 and the sun was barely (and i mean barely!) above the horizon AND as WE all know (NOT!) that above the arctic circle the sun sets and doesn't rise again for X days depending upon how far north of the arctic circle you go. so these guys were probably around 65.8 to 66.2 degrees north latitude cuz the sun was above the horizon but i digress.

so these guys were drilling a well inside a drilling rig protected from the weather, it was COLD! the drill broke and jammed in the well. they couldn't fix it (remove the busted part that i think was hundreds of feet deep) so they decided to cap it and move the drilling rig 14 miles and start a new well. OH BOY NOW THE FUN STARTS!

so they were not able to tow this behemoth unless the temps were 30 below zero F and so the journey began. all was going fine until they came to a river, frozen under ice and snow but here's where it gets real interesting . the ice was just 3' thick and the engineers said the ice bridge over the 150 feet or 150 yards of the river (i forget which now) had to be a minimum of TEN feet thick to support the weight of the box that is the drilling rig that's being towed by a huge truck. i love this stuff!

so they had to use bulldozers to push snow onto the bridge and then drill holes into the river, pump water into a tank truck and then pump the water onto the snow they spread to build the ice road bridge over the river to be 10' thick. YES! but.... this takes time and you guessed it - the temps started to warm up. oh man it was a HEAT wave - it got all the way up to.... sit down folks (!) 26 below zero F! and guess what? that ain't 30 below so now this was a risky proposition as to whether their 10' ice bridge would hold the massive weight of the drilling rig. again i forget but this box they were towing in the dim twilight weighted in at either 1,000 or 10,000 TONS! at this point, i'm hyperventilating and sitting on the edge of the couch.

so they decided that if it warmed up any more they'd be doomed and they were losing BIG money just shutting the other well and moving the rig. so they decided that they were going to go for it. as a friend of mine was fond of saying, "the lord hates a coward"! and across their 10' thick ice bridge they started to tow the rig.

part way across there was this loud crushing sound, gee what was that? well the warm temps just could not support the immese weight of the rig and it broke through the bridge and dropped about 2 feet and was now promptly stuck... over the river.... at 26 below zero. i have alot of experience with driving 4 wheel drive trucks though rough terrain, mud, snow, and i have a saying " being a little stuck is like being a little pregnant!".

so now they had to jack up the rig so that the wheels would come up out of the hole they were trapped in and slide 3" thick boards under the wheels so they could try to pull the rig out of the holes the wheels were in and continue their journey. they almost ran out of wood, they needed a real lot, and then they lowered the rig back down onto the boards. as they started to move the rig the weight of the rig on the boards started to crush and snap the boards like they were kindling but they were able to pull the rig free and continue the trip across the river to the next drilling site.

AND YOU (all the readers) THOUGHT YOU HAD A ROUGH DAY!

i thought you'd get a kick out of this story worth. have fun in the frozen north. i see you say you are at prudhoe bay, is that correct? if not then do you know what your latitude and longitude is? if you are at prudhoe bay then you're at 70 degrees north and that's wicked far north. the sun has been up since what around may 15th?

oh worth, how did those giant north slope tomatoes turn out, you know the ones we saw a picture of you holding them, the ones that were the size of beach balls!

tom and don't even get me going on the new history channel show "ice road truckers" or "deadiest catch" crab fishing show! it's like dying and going to heaven or having an august 25th tomato sandwich
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2007   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Yes I do live at Prudhoe Bay and it is wicked far north.
All the critters are starting to nest and I will take some photos next trip up.

As for the tomatoes there are plenty for me here at home (that’s where I am now).
I rented a big wood chipper today and made a lot of mulch from all of the tree limbs from last winter.

After this so called work we came inside and made Hamburgers with a big 5 inch wide ¾ inch thick Mexico tomato on them, mine had 2 slices of Colby jack and 1 slice of pepper jack melted on it with a thick slice of onion.8)

Mexico is one good tomato and will be with me from now on.
I can’t think of anything closer to heaven than a giant home grown tomato on a Hamburger with mayo.

I will have a BLT tomorrow made from some other tomato.
Along with a tomato cucumber salad from my cucumbers I grew.
Market more? Strait eight? I don’t remember where I planted what, ‘just like last year.
Their both good though.
Life is grand.

Worth