Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 18, 2009   #1
DoubleJ
Tomatovillian™

Default Out of space, need ideas

OK, I am officially out of space. I am REALLY hoping my idea is ok to do. I have California Wonder 300 Hybrid Green Peppers, White Bell Peppers, and Twilight Hybrid Eggplant. I am wanting to grow each one in a 1 gallon milk jug with the top cut off. I can mount about 10 of these on my deck. Will this work? I know ideally, they need more space to grow but, I'm out of ideas.
DoubleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2009   #2
robin303
Tomatovillian™

You really need to go to 5 gal buckets. Always had the same problem.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2009   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

The only problem might be that they could blow over from wind. Here's a link to a site that sells all kinds of containers including the "SmartPots" which start at a gallon in size and go up to 40gals. Ami

http://www.horticulturesource.com/gr...c22af1e5d240d6
Old February 18, 2009   #4
DoubleJ
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
The only problem might be that they could blow over from wind. Here's a link to a site that sells all kinds of containers including the "SmartPots" which start at a gallon in size and go up to 40gals. Ami

http://www.horticulturesource.com/gr...c22af1e5d240d6
I was planning on screwing them down to the deck rail. Are you saying the milk jugs will work then?
DoubleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2009   #5
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

One gallon with part cut off is going to be less than a gallon really, and I think too small to be worthwhile. They would dry out very quickly and I think you would be discouraged with the results. I bought 5 gallon grow bags on-line last year for less than a buck a bag. I would go that route, and you could tie-wrap them to your deck railing too.

Duane
Old February 18, 2009   #6
Luvgardening2
Tomatovillian™

It happens to me too. I sow way too much and then run out of room and I insist on putting them somewhere. I honestly think the 1 gallon jugs are too small. I use those 5 gallon nursery pots or I am not sure how many gallons but those squat pots maybe 7? They hold up better in the sun than those rubbermaid and laundry or kitty litter buckets in my opinion. You can get them for free. I usually scrounge them. If I see landscape companies in parking lots replanting, I ask nicely and most times they gladly give them to me. Will even put them in the van for me. Or ask at a nursery or freecycle.

Good Luck!

Nancy
Luvgardening2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2009   #7
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I've gotten SOME peppers in a 3 gallon pot. Can't imagine them producing much of anything in a 3/4 gallon container.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2009   #8
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
OK, I am officially out of space.
Am I to assume that moving is completely out of the question?
Old February 18, 2009   #9
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

DoubleJ, anything will work, it's how much time and effort you want to put into it and will it be worth the end result. A 5 gal Smart Pot is 12" x 10.5". Ten of them will take up 10 feet. Or you can make a shelf and have 5 over and 5 under in half the space. Peppers don't grow that tall. Ami
Old February 18, 2009   #10
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
DoubleJ, anything will work, it's how much time and effort you want to put into it and will it be worth the end result. A 5 gal Smart Pot is 12" x 10.5". Ten of them will take up 10 feet. Or you can make a shelf and have 5 over and 5 under in half the space. Peppers don't grow that tall. Ami
My, oh my, I love the way you think! DH is gonna have a cow when he sees my plan for our east facing deck. Thank you Ami for such inspiration - I just have to do this in such a way to be able to wrap plants at least on one side with burlap if/when we get tropical storm action (or else they get tore up too badly).
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2009   #11
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

HydroponicHarry is offering the 5-gallon grow bags on Ebay -- 50 for $23.00.

But I don't know HydroponicHarry. Use PayPal.

Christine
cdbva is offline   Reply With Quote