Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 17, 2018   #2356
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by matereater View Post
Afican Dust cloud - I keep seeing this on the internet, just wondering if anyone in texas has been affected ?

Not so much here, but the heat is giving my asthma fits.
Old July 17, 2018   #2357
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks orange like in real life
IMG_20180717_9778.jpg
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2018   #2358
imp
Tomatovillian™

108 F here today for the high, 92 F at 9pm. Supposed to get 110 Friday. Humifity around 36 to 42 %.
Old July 19, 2018   #2359
imp
Tomatovillian™

Take it back, we are predicted to go to 111 today and tomorrow. Add 2 to 4 degrees for at my house, and it is just going to be ugly heat wise.
Old July 19, 2018   #2360
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Hoo boy. Run a cold tub & dip in it all day, Imp! And ice cream for breakfast, lunch, & dinner!
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2018   #2361
bower
Tomatovillian™

We haven't had much sunshine in July, been raining for days now and before that plenty cloudy, and looks like mostly cloud and rain in the ten day forecast except for a couple of days this weekend. Not a bit cold though! Even today the fog socked in and cooled it off a little bit, but still in the 70's F (21+ C) in the thick of that. Humidex was 32 C yesterday. That's lots for us.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018   #2362
imp
Tomatovillian™

I think we tied some record at 112 F here today, officially. And ame for tomorrow, number wise, with it dropping to 110 on Saturday.
Old July 20, 2018   #2363
b54red
Tomatovillian™

We got a much needed break in the heat with an afternoon long shower that poured 2 1/2 inches of rain down on some parched earth here. By evening the temps had dropped to 76 degrees which looks like it will be the low for the night but that is better than in the 80s at night. Although it was still drizzling a bit just before dark I went out and picked off all the blushing fruit and nearly every one of them was splitting badly. It was raining too hard before that to get out and pick them. I wish I had picked them yesterday morning but most had barely any blush to them and even though they were predicting rain they had been doing that for over a week with no rain. I was caught flatfooted by the downpour that happened but I don't mind a bit. Maybe this will help with the ongoing spider mite battle I am having.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018   #2364
imp
Tomatovillian™

Today is supposed to be a possible record breaker, 113 officially, so any where from a 2 to 4 degree gain here, because of the giant heat sink next door. Not quite 8 am and we are in the 80's already. Closed up the house on the east and south side just now. At least the humity is around 15%, so that is good. So far, we have had a total of 17 days over 100, and 7 of those just now and in a row.

Better than 2012, when we ended up with a 100 days over a 100, but not in one stretch!
Old July 20, 2018   #2365
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Wow only 96 in Bastrop according to the internet.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018   #2366
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It was so nice today with highs only getting into the very low 90s and humidity in the 80% range. It felt almost like late spring.

That long rain yesterday really did cool it off some.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018   #2367
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

106F/41C at DFW Airport. 109F on our three thermometers. Those temperatures are hot for here.

I remember in 1980, my father put a thermometer on a west facing wall that was in full sun. He wanted to show us how hot it really feels in the sun versus the official high temperatures taken in the shade. Thirty minutes later, we went out to see how hot it was. The thermometer exploded sometime before we got to it.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018   #2368
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I meant to put this in my last post, but forgot. I know that a lot of areas are having extremely hot weather conditions, and some you/us are learning to deal with heat that you are not used to. So many of us have written about wearing light colored clothes, staying hydrated with water, and so many other things already written here. Everyone (I hope) has heard of heat exhaustion and heat stroke.

There is one thing that happens in high heat that doesn't get as much attention. It is heat rash, and it happens in places on your body that you might not want to talk about - even to your doctor. A surgeon told me about a product that its name made me laugh, but personally, I know it helps. You all know I'm not trying to sell a product - here is a general search https://www.google.com/search?ei=2Z1....0.soW2RmeW32Q
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2018   #2369
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Raining here steady all day, 90% chance next 3 days and projected 3" over the next few days. This is some bad timing...the plants are loaded and just about to finally ripen. It sure would have been nice to keep them tasty and intact.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2018   #2370
imp
Tomatovillian™

Boudreaux's Butt Paste works well, and the funny thing it was created by Rob's cousin. I sent some to Kelly before she had the baby.