Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old January 12, 2019   #1
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Default Asian Cucumbers

Do you all have any recommendations for a good Asian Cucumber? I have grown Burpee's Palace King for years and it looks like they dropped it.
Barb
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019   #2
JoParrott

I just Google Palace King and saw several sources---
Old January 13, 2019   #3
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

JoParrot,
Thanks but I am not familiar with Kitazawa Seeds and the other seed companies. Clicking on Amazon the source says "unknown." So I think I should look at a replacement. Thanks though.
Barb
Old January 13, 2019   #4
JoParrott

I have purchased from Kitazawa several times and found them very good to deal with. I get Kwintus Pole Beans from them- they are the best green bean in the world in my opinion! If you want to try another cucumber that is similar to PK, Armenian is similar--we love it.
Old January 13, 2019   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
I have purchased from Kitazawa several times and found them very good to deal with. I get Kwintus Pole Beans from them- they are the best green bean in the world in my opinion! If you want to try another cucumber that is similar to PK, Armenian is similar--we love it.
I'm with you on Armenian cukes as well as same grown in Lebanon.They are called Cucumis melo while regular cukes are C.sativus.

And C. Melos are also known as Serpent melons since they are long and ridged and curl up much like certain snakes do as well and and you never have to peel them . I used to harvest them when they were shorter than about 2 ft long .I still have someone grow them for me here at home.

https://www.google.com/search?source...30.awY2-k2CEPE

Carolyn, almost forgot, but they come in different colors seen between the ridges so not just all green ones. Last I knew Baker Creek and several other places were selling seeds.So maybe do another Google Search but be sure to enter Serpent melons.
Old January 13, 2019   #6
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

https://www.growingformarket.com/art...umbervarieties

I found this informative. You may have to copy and paste, sorry
Barb
Old January 14, 2019   #7
peebee
Tomatovillian™

For what it's worth, Kitazawa Seeds is a very reliable seed company and known to many members here on TVille. I've purchased most of my Asian veggies throughout the years from them.
I've eaten and grown Armenian cukes before, it's a matter of personal taste I know but I much prefer the Japanese ones. To me they have that juicy crunch factor you can't get anywhere else. Unfortunately I no longer grow any cukes or beans at all due to the spider mites these past 4 years. All my efforts are now with keeping them away from my tomatoes which are my #1 priority in the vegetable garden. I do miss them...
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2019   #8
imp
Tomatovillian™

Haven't grown any asain cukes, but wish to say that Kitazawa Seeds is a very very reputable company, been in business since before I was around this earth even. My parents even bought seed from them during my youth. Good seed counts, fresh seed, and most of all, really nice folks, too.
Old January 15, 2019   #9
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone. Has anyone tried the cucumber Summer Dance? It's in several catalogs.
Old January 15, 2019   #10
JoParrott

I tried Summer Dance a few years ago- it was OK, but I don't know why I didn't grow it again.General Lee is great, too- pretty spiny skin, but great crunch.
Old January 15, 2019   #11
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

japanese soyu burpless from botanical interests which aren't available from them anymore but I have 1 last plant in a window
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2019   #12
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

Default japanese soyu

found it on baker creek free shipping.
https://www.rareseeds.com/suyo-long-cucumber/
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote