Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 1, 2016   #1
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Default self pollinating cucumbers

Due to poor numbers of female flowers and resulting cucumbers I thought it might be time to try the self pollinating varieties. Would any of you be willing to share your experiences?.

Jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #2
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

The only self pollinating cucumber that I've grown is Sweet Success plus Parks All Season; Both set fruit on every flower.

But I don't have issues with the bee pollinating kinds either. I'm growing as a test now - to see if bees will come in the heat, etc (they do) and probably have > 10 to 1 male flowers but still getting a lot of cucumbers. My first picked was Sunday and was up to 19 as of Thursday. I have 3 seeds planted.

What are you growing?

There is a recent thread re: pruning cucumbers and AKMark has posted pictures of Tasty Jade. Excellent results as usual.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppero View Post
Due to poor numbers of female flowers and resulting cucumbers I thought it might be time to try the self pollinating varieties. Would any of you be willing to share your experiences?.

Jon
https://www.jungseed.com/P/02002/Alibi+Hybrid+Cucumber

The one above has been superb for me, self pollenizing ,never stops producing,great taste and relatively disease tolerant.

Carolyn
Old July 1, 2016   #4
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Monika wins for me. Sweet success is also strong.

http://www.rareseeds.com/monika-cucumber/
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #5
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I grow Picolino F1 hyb in pots so I can have early salad cucumbers before the other in-ground cukes get going. It's a baby English type like you get in 6 pks at the store. Wouldn't be that useful if what you are needing is a lot of pickling type cukes, but it sets very well and they grow to eating size quickly. The seeds are a bit expensive, but I haven't had any trouble with germination, and I only grow a couple each season for earlies.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
I grow Picolino F1 hyb in pots so I can have early salad cucumbers before the other in-ground cukes get going. It's a baby English type like you get in 6 pks at the store. Wouldn't be that useful if what you are needing is a lot of pickling type cukes, but it sets very well and they grow to eating size quickly. The seeds are a bit expensive, but I haven't had any trouble with germination, and I only grow a couple each season for earlies.

Dee, I've grown this one as well as the one I gave a link to above and I think both are great.

Not cheap,so true, but whatever.

Carolyn
Old May 3, 2017   #7
BettaPonic
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post

I have been wanting to grow something like that. I know some vines can be cloned, is this one of them?
Old July 1, 2016   #8
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

A bit off topic here. Last fall, i found a mature old Picolino F1 cucumber in the greenhouse with a belly full of seeds, it must have been pollinated by some other variety, so i saved some and planted some this year. The seedlings came up nicely and transplanted well, so we'll see what i'll get out of them. The F1 production was impressive.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2016   #9
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestGardener View Post
A bit off topic here. Last fall, i found a mature old Picolino F1 cucumber in the greenhouse with a belly full of seeds, it must have been pollinated by some other variety, so i saved some and planted some this year. The seedlings came up nicely and transplanted well, so we'll see what i'll get out of them. The F1 production was impressive.
How did you save the seeds? I've tried several ways - fermenting, just getting off the gel and the seeds are mostly flat vs the ones you buy.
Old July 3, 2016   #10
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Please keep the information coming in.

Jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2016   #11
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

You don't actually save seeds from a parthenocarpic cucumber, they are not developed. The ones i saved must have been pollinated by another regular cucumber that had male flowers, so it produced viable seeds, they were plump and full, not flat, that's why i saved some.
The f2 offsprings from this cucumber are the only variety i am growing in the greenhouse now, so no more cross pollination with others. There are both male and female flowers on the same plants, and a real cumcumber growing, so now they become regular cucumbers. Can i save seeds again? Likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
How did you save the seeds? I've tried several ways - fermenting, just getting off the gel and the seeds are mostly flat vs the ones you buy.

Last edited by NewWestGardener; July 3, 2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old July 3, 2016   #12
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
You don't actually save seeds from a parthenocarpic cucumber, they are not developed. The ones i saved must have been pollinated by another regular cucumber that had male flowers, so it produced viable seeds, they were plump and full, not flat, that's why i saved some.
The f2s from this cucumber are the only variety i am growing in the greenhouse, they have both male and female flowers on the same plants, so now they become regular cucumbers. Can i save seeds again? Likely.
I think she might actually be asking by what tecnique does a person save cucumber seeds? Ferment? Dry?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2016   #13
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

I thought the concern was about seeds being "flat"-- underdeveloped seeds.
Otherwise, yes, fermentation works well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I think she might actually be asking by what tecnique does a person save cucumber seeds? Ferment? Dry?
Old July 3, 2016   #14
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
+1 Thank you Marsha.

I tried saving seeds from a Snow (pickling cucumber) that grew way TOO large; I let it yellow, but must of not gave it enough time.
Old July 3, 2016   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The f2 offsprings from this cucumber are the only variety i am growing in the greenhouse now, so no more cross pollination with others. There are both male and female flowers on the same plants, and a real cumcumber growing, so now they become regular cucumbers. Can i save seeds again? Likely.
Just repeating what you posted in post #7

(A bit off topic here. Last fall, i found a mature old Picolino F1 cucumber in the greenhouse with a belly full of seeds, it must have been pollinated by some other variety, so i saved some and planted some this year. The seedlings came up nicely and transplanted well, so we'll see what i'll get out of them. The F1 production was impressive)

With parthenocarpic varieties,tomatoes included, at first they have just wisps of undeveloped seeds but as they mature fully formed viable seeds are formed and that's great since how else are parthenocarpic varieties going to be perpetuated?

For sure they are going to rebreed them as I see it and just my opinion,perhaps,after being up close and personal with all the parthenocarpic tomato ones that Dr. Baggett bred and feedback from those who grew them.

Carolyn