Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old December 4, 2006   #1
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Heirloom Pimento Pepper from Ash County North Carolina

I discovered the Revolution Seeds over the weekend. They have a wonderful Pimento Heirloom I am ordering. This is a new venture for this couple; they have a limited variety at the present but have wonderful aspirations of growing and sharing lots of different seed varieties .
Gary

Capsicum annuum (Peppers)
Ashe County Heirloom Pimiento Pepper
approximately 70 days from transplant-a fine pepper just now making its way into commerce. This open-pollinated variety was discovered, revived, and amply propagated by North Carolina seedsaver & permaculturist Rob Danford. He has found it to be the only pepper that reliably produces well in the short Smoky Mountain growing season (150 days or less). At maturity, it yields an incredibly sweet, bright red, thick-fleshed pimiento pepper measuring about 4" across. They taste great raw, as well as cooking, roasting, & canning well, holding a good texture and flavor. Their squat shape is ideal for stuffing. Culture: start in a greenhouse at least one month before last frost date. This pepper will tolerate cool evenings and morning dew better than most, but it will naturally yield best when temperatures stay warm toward the end of the summer. Very tolerant of drought-needed no watering beyond the seedling stage in North Carolina's bone-dry 2002. During the incredibly rainy & cool summer of 2003, some North Carolina High Country growers found that most of their peppers were still green as the first frost date approached, but yields remained high (4-5 mature peppers per plant) despite this most un-peppery growing season. This seed organically grown by my good friend Richard Boylan, who got his stock from Rob the year before (and wrote this fine description, except for the part about what a fine description it is).
revolution seeds
www.revolutionseeds.net/about.htm
Old December 4, 2006   #2
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Oh, I do hope this means that Revolution still is. That website has been stagnant for more than a year. Thanks, Gary, for the update!

Jennifer
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2006   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

4" Pimiento? That's huge compared to what I have grown.

I grew 2 types this fall but they didn't have time to ripen. I'm ready for next spring.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2006   #4
Colorado_west
Tomatovillian™

I grow pimientos here like pimiento L and it really is too late of pepper for here as just ripens before frost but not that big but good size.

Let us know if you get seed or hear form them.
Colorado_west is offline   Reply With Quote