Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 9, 2016   #1
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Default When is a Cherokee Purple ready to eat?

This is my first year growing any "blacks". How do I know when it's ripe? I have read that the shoulders will still have some green while the bottom will be the dark purple/rosey color. Is this a pretty good assessment and judge of when it is ready to eat?
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2016   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Your description is a good indicator of their ripeness but I also like to squeeze them lightly to make sure they've softened up a bit- not too much, though, because their shelf life doesn't seem to be as long as some.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2016   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Here are some pictures of Cherokee Purple to look at:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Cherokee_Purple

Colors vary due to photography, but it's not a so called black since it has a clear epidermis.If it were a black it would have a yellow epidermis and be much darker.

Carolyn
Old May 10, 2016   #4
weaselbean
Tomatovillian™

Don't let them get purple all over or they'll be too ripe. Pick as soon as they have a little give when you squeeze em. The tops will still be somewhat green and ive found they don't have a very long shelf life. Eat um quick...
weaselbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016   #5
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

very good! Thanks for the help.
Old May 10, 2016   #6
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Not me, I prefer to eat them when they are very ripe. I pick them when they still have green in the shoulder, but I let it ripen inside until the bottom is darker in color.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016   #7
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Once they start feeling soft to the touch, try them at various stages of ripeness. So you can find the stage that you like best.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016   #8
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I'll go by feeling softness also.
To my experience dark tomatoes have a short shelf life. Picking them early is better than late.
Actually I pick them at colo break and let them sit on the counter for a fw days. This way I beat the birds, squirrels, rats ,...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cp-2-garden.jpg (107.5 KB, 167 views)
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016   #9
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I pick all my tomatoes pink/blush and like them to ripen on my 'tomato shelf' in the kitchen where i can watch them. (out of direct sunlight).

I prefer them firm over semi-soft vine ripened. I get plenty in the vine-ripened category by missing a few or can't get to the garden for a few days because of work. A heavy thunderstorm causing splits, a pesky critter might take a bite...ripe fruit attracts the entire forest of thirsty beasts and they don't forget.

SunGold is about the only one so far that i don't mind juicy from the garden. Being so prolific i can't keep up with the harvesting.

In the link above, some of the pictures do not have the same characteristics as mine. All my seeds are from TGSupply, CPurple and CChocolate.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2016   #10
Anthony_Toronto
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
I pick all my tomatoes pink/blush and like them to ripen on my 'tomato shelf' in the kitchen where i can watch them. (out of direct sunlight).

I prefer them firm over semi-soft vine ripened. I get plenty in the vine-ripened category by missing a few or can't get to the garden for a few days because of work. A heavy thunderstorm causing splits, a pesky critter might take a bite...ripe fruit attracts the entire forest of thirsty beasts and they don't forget.
Same here...split, nibbled, water-infused and mealy, moldy, or sunburned are not good fates for my precious heirlooms!

As for the original question, I just go by feel and smell, and of course experience...some varieties are firmer when ripe, others less so.
Anthony_Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2016   #11
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Great info. Thanks all!
Old May 13, 2016   #12
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I'll go by feeling softness also.
To my experience dark tomatoes have a short shelf life. Picking them early is better than late.
Actually I pick them at colo break and let them sit on the counter for a fw days. This way I beat the birds, squirrels, rats ,...
Sorry to get off topic slightly, but I have the exact same scale, works great! haha
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #13
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

My wife has usually liked more acidic, tangy tomatoes, however, today we made BLT's from a very ripe CP and she loved it. Without me even saying anything she said, "Man, there is a big difference between the types of tomatoes." She said that she thinks she likes the CP better for BLT's, but the Brandywine for the caprese salad.

After eating a few, I think I like them more on the ripe side. They are not sweet or tangy. Pretty much right in the middle with a "just tomato" flavor.
Old May 30, 2016   #14
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike723 View Post
Sorry to get off topic slightly, but I have the exact same scale, works great! haha
Mike, we have the same brand of scale but I have never grown a tomato that big.
I like my scale. You can measure in Grams too. That is more accurate than in lb/oz.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote