Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old April 18, 2016   #181
berryman
Tomatovillian™

Worth, what do you mean "water glass"?
In glass, submerged in water?

thanks
berryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2016   #182
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryman View Post
Worth, what do you mean "water glass"?
In glass, submerged in water?

thanks
No I knew you were going to ask this.
It is an old school method of preserving eggs for a long time.
Water Glass is another word for liquid sodium silicate AKA cement floor sealer.
One gallon will preserve 50 dozen eggs.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...JUjGoeluzKfYYQ

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2016   #183
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryman View Post
Karrr, as to the eggs, that's a great idea to me in hopes that I can keep some homegrown through the winter when the hens stop.
How long have you kept them and do you refrigerate?
Thanks
Berryman, I kept the eggs outside in an unheeted room in brine for approx. two weeks, they did get more fermented and the texture became softer, I moved them to the fridge at this point. I could've probably done that sooner. Not sure I'd make too many for preserving long term. I guess it' OK to keep them in the fridge for a month or two. I'd try Worth's method for preserving fresh eggs , and ferment some too
Old July 11, 2016   #184
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here is today's start of pepper fermenting.
Wild peppers and an assortment of other hots.

Worth
IMG_20160711_42802.jpg

IMG_20160711_48525.jpg
Old July 12, 2016   #185
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

I find when I make sauerkraut at home, when I put it in the fridge, the juice level is reduced. Do you all add a brine to make up for the lost water content? If yes, what is the salt/water ratio?

Probably not lost water content, but gets absorbed by the kraut.

Last edited by recruiterg; July 12, 2016 at 07:07 PM.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2016   #186
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post
I find when I make sauerkraut at home, when I put it in the fridge, the juice level is reduced. Do you all add a brine to make up for the lost water content? If yes, what is the salt/water ratio?

Probably not lost water content, but gets absorbed by the kraut.
About a tablespoon per cup of water will do.
I put about two tablespoons of salt in the pepper mash.

Worth
Old July 12, 2016   #187
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

I keep fermented peppers around all the time. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 12, 2016   #188
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The original Tabasco sauce is just pepper mash and salt left to ferment then they strain it and put vinegar in it and ship it off.
There is no processing.

Worth
Old July 12, 2016   #189
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

That's how I do it. Just mash up the chilis and kosher salt in a food processor, let ferment for a few days, then add a little vinegar and let ferment a few weeks at room temp, then throw in fridge. It lasts a long time in the fridge. This current batch is from what was left over from my hot peppers last season.

Worth, do you use a brine rather than vinegar?
Old July 12, 2016   #190
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post
That's how I do it. Just mash up the chilis and kosher salt in a food processor, let ferment for a few days, then add a little vinegar and let ferment a few weeks at room temp, then throw in fridge. It lasts a long time in the fridge. This current batch is from what was left over from my hot peppers last season.

Worth, do you use a brine rather than vinegar?
Yes I only use brine no vinegar.
If properly fermented the acid is way high.
And the ONLY way you will get that great old time deli pickle flavor in my opinion.

The pepper sauce I ate tonight fermented for about three months.

Worth
Old July 16, 2016   #191
Ganado
Tomatovillian™

Sun pickles

Ingredients
  • 6½ cups water
  • 3¼ cups white vinegar
  • ⅔ cup canning salt (available on Amazon)
  • 4-6 cloves of garlic (you can add more if you really like garlic - I do about 3 cloves per jar)
  • about 10 medium pickling cucumbers
  • fresh dill, about 8-10 heads
  • optional - jalapeno or onion slices

Instructions
  1. Wash and sterilize 3 or 4 quart sized mason jars and the same amount of two-part canning lids.
  2. Either slice or spear each cucumber. I like my slices to be about ¼ inch thick.
  3. Slice the garlic into small pieces.
  4. Prepare your brine and mix the water, vinegar, and salt together in a large mixing bowl or one gallon jar. Stir to dissolve salt.
  5. Place a head of dill into a one quart jar along with some chopped garlic. Add cucumbers, and onion or jalapeno slices if using, until about half full.
  6. Repeat layering by adding more dill, garlic, and more vegetables and pour water/vinegar mixture over cucumbers and place two part lid on jar. make sure to jot the date you made them on the lid so you can eat them in the order you made them.
  7. Set out in the sun for 3-4 days, giving them a small shake each day, chill and enjoy!
Ganado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2016   #192
Ganado
Tomatovillian™

Kimchi

Ingredients: The slaw
6# Napa cabbage
1 Large Daikon radish about 1 1/2 #
2 Bunches of scallions chopped
1 Green apple sliced
8 Oz. Carrots
1 Cup Kosher salt
Non chlorinated water

Procedure:
1. First sterilize the mason jar you are working with by placing it in a pre heated
oven at 200 degrees for 10 minutes. Make sure that the temperature does not exceed
this as the jar can't withstand higher temperatures.
2. Chop the cabbage and place it in a large bowl.
3. Add all the salt and massage int the cabbage. Add a touch of water as well
about a cup. Make sure all the cabbage is covered.
4. Allow the cabbage to sit for an hour. Intermittently toss the cabbage around.
5. After an hour, strain the cabbage and rinse 3 times to get the salt out.

Spicy Kim chi paste ingredients:
1 1/2 Cups hot Korean red pepper flakes
1 Head garlic peeled
4 Oz. Peeled sliced ginger
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp. Milled crushed red pepper
Non chlorinated water

Procedure:
1. Food process the garlic and ginger till minced.
2. In a bowl, combine the mince, pepper flakes and milled pepper.
3. Add water to form a paste

The finale!!
1. Combine the slaw( including the apple, radish and scallions) and paste. Really get that cabbage good and coated.
2. Place the mixture in the mason jar(s) you are using.
3.Allow the product to ferment in a dark area.The process varies according to temperature. Ideally you want it to be between 65-72 degrees. The process can take between 2-4 days.
4.Use an air lock if you have one. This way you do not have to burp the jar.If you do not have one, it is important to release the gas from the jar about every 12 hours as the gas build up could cause the jar to explode and kim chi will be everywhere not good!
5. If using an air lock make sure to have a plate of some sort under the jar as liquid
will come through the lock and stain your pretty floors.
6. Taste test once it is a little fizzy your pretty much done.
7. At this point place the jars in the refrigerator and enjoy.
8. The Kim chi will still ferment in the refrigerator but at a much slower time frame. The longer you leave it in there the stronger and more intense it will become.

Make your own airlock with rubber grommets and a hole punch

I do not know how to reduce these pics
Old July 16, 2016   #193
Ganado
Tomatovillian™

Whole Tomatoes Fermented in a Brine

Translated literally from Russian it would sound more like "salted tomatoes" but it is, in fact, tomatoes fermented in a brine. This condiment-type food is the way how Eastern-European people were preserving tomatoes for centuries. Also this is a second favorite accompaniment to a shot of vodka. Why second? Just because first one, hands down, is a pickle, of course, according to Russian drinking traditions.

What it is
It is whole tomatoes kept in brine until they soften and acquire special sweet-and-sour briny tingling taste.

Variations
Per your taste they can be more or less spicy. Traditionally dill added as a herb to a brine but other herbs, or even celery and peppers can be added also.

How it's served
As a condiment it is goes very well with any more-or-less mild food. For example we like it with any type potato dishes or any meat, especially grilled one.

Some side comments
- It may be acquired taste but as soon as you really got into it, you'll love this stuff. Eastern-European cuisine has a long list of traditional fermented dishes - from cabbage, cucumbers, tomatoes to apples and watermelons. All of them are important part of everyday meal for us who come from Eastern Europe.

- Fermented tomatoes are at its best after about one week, after fermenting at a room temperature for 5 days and being in a fridge for a couple of days.

- My husband adores brine left from fermented tomatoes - it has balanced sweet and salty taste enriched with tomato, herb and garlic flavors. For centuries, in Russia, this brine was the best remedy for vodka-intoxicated bodies and was the first thing in a morning as an after-party drink. Fortunately it is not huge importance for us personally, we just enjoy tomatoes, and brine in a totally sober condition

How to store it
It will keep in a fridge for a long time up to a few months.

Tips
- Smaller size tomatoes fit perfectly for fermenting. Although sometimes I cut tomatoes in a half if they are on a large side. In this case they will start fermenting faster and already in 2-3 days jar can be transferred into a fridge.

- Best way to wash dill is to drop whole bunch into big pot with cold water and shake herb with your hand lightly - dirt and sand will fall on a bottom and all damaged leaves will float to a top. Pick bad leaves. Then get your herbs on a paper towel and leave it to dry a little bit. To store leftovers, wrap them in a dry paper towel, put in a plastic bag and place in a fridge - it will be ready for you and keep nicely for several days.

- I like to peel garlic this way - place separated cloves into small fold-in sandwich bag (no need for zip-bag!), twist the top and bang it several times off the counter or your husband (if he deserves it ; or rub bag between your palms. Garlic will release a bit of juice which will facilitate peeling. Now, just open bag, use knife to peel cloves (I still use knife because I like to cut off tiny woody end of clove). Get peels into the same bag and throw it away - nice and clean.
Old July 17, 2016   #194
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Giant pictures but looks good.

Folks the geologists have reported Krokatoa is rumbling again.
Stay tuned for updates as they happen.

Worth
Old July 17, 2016   #195
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here they are a giant crock of peppers and carrots fermenting.
The peppers are hot and were 58 cents a pound.
Worth
IMG_20160717_15534.jpg

IMG_20160717_23326.jpg

IMG_20160717_34454.jpg