Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 30, 2016   #1
tarheelchick
Tomatovillian™

Default Do I need to replant or will plants come back?

I've planted some butterbean seeds for the first time and as they just started popping up, I noticed the leaves on a few of them were all but destroyed overnight by slugs. I've started the process of getting rid of the slugs and it seems to be going well. (I know I'll likely be fighting them for awhile). My question is, will the stems generate new leaves on their own? Or should I pull them up and re-seed? They were about 2 inches high, so just newly popped up.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk
tarheelchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Plant in small containers and let them get about a foot tall and then transplant out.
You will have a better chance so do this and leave the ones where they are.
My beans are fighting the slugs too.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #3
creister
Tomatovillian™

I planted my beans in cups and put them out, lost a few but so far so good.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #4
creister
Tomatovillian™

This is what I did this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (101.5 KB, 87 views)
Old May 30, 2016   #5
creister
Tomatovillian™

Here they are in the cups.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (101.6 KB, 87 views)
Old May 30, 2016   #6
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I just started mine in peat cups and those mesh peat pellets. The pellets popped much faster but they will have to be planted before they reach the size in your cups. Very nice!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #7
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

If you decide to re-plant you will have a nice harvest come late July through August. I was late planting mine last year about this same time. Had butter beans from August into early October...
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2016   #8
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Good idea, from Creister;
Re Plant in deep pots and then transplant. Beans grow fast once germinated.
Make sure the new ones are protected from slugs.
I would use nylon tulle as cover , secured to the ground. That can even protect them against rabbits, rats..
Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #9
jhp
Tomatovillian™

I had the same problem with slugs eating my snap bean seedlings. I sprinkled diatomaceous earth on and around them and while they were small enough, covered at night with plastic cups. They are too big now to cover with cups, but I think the DE did the trick and got them to the stage where they are big enough to survive. No new damage last night and the DE got washed off by rain yesterday. There are some where the leaves are completely gone. Those won't grow back. I just put a new seed in it's place. At this stage, things can catch up quickly as we are just starting the season here in CT.

I start my cucumber and squash plants in cells or cups for this same reason. Once they are past the seedling stage, they seem less appealing to the slugs. Have never transplanted beans, but I would if all of my seedlings were getting eaten rather than a handful.

Jen
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #10
tarheelchick
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone. I think I'll replant the seed in the places where I lost all the leaves (only about 4 or 5 places). The other plants are either untouched, or have partial leave damage. Maybe those with partial damage will generate new leaves and keep growing? I don't really have any place to start seeds in cups unless I just did them in my existing garden. That's the only spot I have where there is enough sunlight and heat.

When I checked this morning, I didn't get any new slugs in my traps and I didn't notice any new leaf damage. I am using beer traps and also put out some iron phosphate bait. I think I'll add some copper wire for extra measure and maybe even some DE. Slugs are so gross.
tarheelchick is offline   Reply With Quote