Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 12, 2017   #61
Hoosier
Tomatovillian™

Still a bit early here to make a final call but the stars so far have been Indian Stripe, Akers West Virginia, and Wes. ( thank you Marsha and thank you Marsha for the last two.)
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #62
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Still a bit early here to make a final call but the stars so far have been Indian Stripe, Akers West Virginia, and Wes. ( thank you Marsha and thank you Marsha for the last two.)
You are so welcome. I am glad to see my seeds giving people joy.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #63
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Carolyn, I don't have time to answer this and other comments in your latest post now. Too much going on here this weekend. But when I do answer, I will move this conversation to the appropriate subject thread. Having these partial contentious off-topic discussions going on in unrelated threads is distracting and uninformative. I should have moved my answer there before I replied.
100% agree.
This boat has already sailed under the name chosen by the only person who has the right to name the tomato he discovered. The large Canadian swaps will receive a large donation of fresh 2017 seed from me under the correct name as well, I will offer it out for SASE on my own garden page.
Presumably others are saving seed as well.

KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; August 12, 2017 at 11:06 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #64
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I will grow Dotson's Lebanese Heart this upcoming season and offer fresh seeds of it in January.
Old August 12, 2017   #65
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I will grow Dotson's Lebanese Heart this upcoming season and offer fresh seeds of it in January.
Ah great Marsha! One thing I have learned about this one- it grows a large plant at first with minimal flowering. Then all of a sudden, hundreds of flowers. Then after another wait, it's as if a switch is flipped- and baby fruit start swelling everywhere. I have 5 friends locally who grew it this summer and all have noticed the same thing- slow to start. Best of luck!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #66

New for me this year that I loved are:

Aunt Ruby's German Green. Great flavor. So juicy. Big beefsteak with average production. I will definitely grow this again.

Sweet Treats - pink cherry tomato. Wonderful sweet flavor. Everyone who tries it loves it. Super productive. Well definitely grow again.

Green Doctors Frosted - green when ripe cherry. So flavorful. Fun to have a green when ripe to add to the color mix. I found the production to be less than average. Will still grow again.

Carbon - I love black tomatoes. This has a wonderful flavor and is a real beauty to look at too. Below average production but will still grow it again.
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017   #67
BakedIn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsgarden1958 View Post
I am stuck in a weird growing year. Everyone around here is having a shortage of ripe tomatoes. However, my best looking and productive plants seems to be Big Daddy.
My first year trying Big Daddy and I have had similar results to yours. It's been so good, I decided to comb the local box stores to see if seed racks were still out.. and maybe if lucky.. on sale. I found a few racks with Burpee seeds, but none had Big Daddy. It has all of a sudden become a bit of an enigma. I went to ebay, nothing. FInally, I went to Burpee website... Are you sitting down? For 35 seeds, it's almost 7 bucks. I didn't stick around to find out if there was shipping on top. I'd only paid about 2 bucks for my box store pack last winter. People must be running on them ! !
BakedIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017   #68
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Ah great Marsha! One thing I have learned about this one- it grows a large plant at first with minimal flowering. Then all of a sudden, hundreds of flowers. Then after another wait, it's as if a switch is flipped- and baby fruit start swelling everywhere. I have 5 friends locally who grew it this summer and all have noticed the same thing- slow to start. Best of luck!
I've experienced it behaving just that way. It was the slowest to set, but now it's right up there with the rest, and one fruit is a doozey!

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017   #69
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedIn View Post
My first year trying Big Daddy and I have had similar results to yours. It's been so good, I decided to comb the local box stores to see if seed racks were still out.. and maybe if lucky.. on sale. I found a few racks with Burpee seeds, but none had Big Daddy. It has all of a sudden become a bit of an enigma. I went to ebay, nothing. FInally, I went to Burpee website... Are you sitting down? For 35 seeds, it's almost 7 bucks. I didn't stick around to find out if there was shipping on top. I'd only paid about 2 bucks for my box store pack last winter. People must be running on them ! !
Time to save seeds...

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017   #70
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Time to save seeds...

Nan
Trouble is, it's a hybrid, saving seeds won't help.

I saw it at Reimer seeds, but 10 seeds for $3.50 is even more expensive than Burpee.
Old August 13, 2017   #71
zolee777
Tomatovillian™

1. Green Tiger - best cherry I've ever tried
2. Malachite Box - very good flavour, but not too productive
zolee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017   #72
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Karen and Marsha,and a couple of others I could name, I already assumed you would do so, for whatever rationale you ascribe to.But also know that others, not going to name names, are doing the opposite with the other name and spreading it around as well.

How I absolutely hate to see a situation like this happening,I really do. Quite frankly it doesn't reflect well on either Team A or Team B IMO.

Carolyn
Old August 13, 2017   #73
Solanum315
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
For over 10 years I have been trying lots of new varieties , in search to find a few that I like. In fact about 50% the varieties that am growing ( ~ 16 ) this year are new to me.
I had had my share of disappointment and surprises.

Here are my top FIVE surprises this year:

Indian Stripe PL
Esterina
Cuostralee
German Queen
Indigo Cherry Drops

This is, of course , in addition to the varieties that I have grown in the past.

Ok, What are some of your surprising discoveries this season ?
German Queen is a fantastic tomato. Have been a big fan since I tasted one/saved seeds at Tomatopalooza 2008. Kinda mad at myself for not putting in a few plants this year......

http://worldtomatoes.blogspot.com/
Solanum315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017   #74
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solanum315 View Post
German Queen is a fantastic tomato. Have been a big fan since I tasted one/saved seeds at Tomatopalooza 2008. Kinda mad at myself for not putting in a few plants this year......
I second that! I picked up a plant a few years ago in the Home Depot garden section. Sturdy, beautiful PL plant that seemed very resistant to disease. The flavor was very good- not quite at my Brandywine (pink) level- but really good.
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017   #75
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Good to know this growth habit. Brutus was slow to start too, but I have a 9 month growing season, should be OK. Is the foliage wispy?