Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

MAGTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Mid-Atlantic Growers Tomato Appreciation Group

Old May 13, 2011   #1
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Default Plants for this years gathering

I finally got most of mine in the ground. I still have the pots to fill but everything else looks good.

Here is my list. Most are different but there are a few repeats. Hopefully I can bring many of these to our gathering for the tasting. It is shaping up to be a good year unless the stinkbugs or some blight become intolerable. I will spray these babies with Daconil as soon as possible!

1. Morx White F2
2. Dr. Carolyn Pink
3. Kellogg’s Breakfast
4. Emily 2010 (F4)
5. Kosovo
6. Earl’s Faux
7. Green Giant
8. Omar’s Lebanese
9. Berkley Tie Dye Pink
10. Emily 2010 (funny foliage)
11. Brad’s Black Heart
12. JD’s Special C Tex
13. Green Doctor Frosted
14. Isabel Pink 2010
15. Snow White
16. White Current
17. Black Cherry
18. SunGold
19. Emily b (F3)
20. Dr Lyle
21. Liz Bert
22. Wes
23. Grub’s Mystery Green
24. Little Lucky
25. Absinth
26. Prue
27. Aunt Gertie’s Gold
28. Morx Like
29. Lillian’s Yellow
30. Cherokee Purple
31. New Big Dwarf
32. Morx F2 White (2nd place)
33. Morx F2 Pink (Morx like)
34. Morx F2 Green
35. Taxi
36. Sophie’s Choice

Greg
Old May 18, 2011   #2
gardener
Tomatovillian™

OK Greg I only have 8 plants in hopefully they will be good ones.

German Red Strawberry
Omar's Lebanese
Cherokee Purple
Black Cherry
Hugh's
Brown Berry
Green Zebra
Riesentraube

Hugh's gets high marks from Dr Carolyn I hope it is good. Wasn't wild about Kellogg's Breakfast last year and would like to find a good yellow or bicolor.
Old May 19, 2011   #3
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Gardener,

8 plants is great. I grow so many for the seeds. I haven't been able to collect seeds for 2 years because of a herbicide that was in my soil. It has been removed and my seed collection has been dwindling. I create seedlings in the spring for charity and like to have lots of variety.

8 is great! Please bring a few of each to try. I am also very interested in trying Hugh's. Kellogg's Breakfast has been very good to me and also, Aunt Gertie's Gold. You can try my versions this year and let me know what you think.

Greg
Old June 11, 2011   #4
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

So far I'm having a great year! (No deer as yet, and with a new fence and the strategic placement of Milorganite, maybe they'll decide to raid some other unfortunate.) All the plants are growing like gangbusters, problems with leaf curl notwithstanding.

I have:

Cherokee Purple
Black Krim
German Johnson
Stupice
Radiator Charlie's
Big Rainbow
Rutgers
Lemon... Boy? Lemon something.

I bought the lemon on impulse at a seedling sale. You know how it is when you go shopping -- you see something pretty... It's a hybrid, promises to be extremely prolific. It will be cheering to look at, though I suppose one can't expect much in the way of flavor.

A friend has been sharing my plot, and he asked if he could move the tomatoes, and I said sure, but he didn't move the markers with them. So it will be interesting to try to identify the ones that are just red. If I can't, maybe I can post pictures and get some input. Or maybe there'll be a couple of "name that tomato" plates.

Can't wait to see you all!

Christine
Old June 11, 2011   #5
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

P.S. Greg, how is it going with the 3.5 feet of growing medium?
Old June 12, 2011   #6
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Christine, I grow lemon boy every year. It is very prolific. To me, it's a mild taste, and I wouldn't eat it by itself. But it's a beautiful color - really bright yellow, not gold, and on a combination plate with a red and a black for example, I think its flavor and looks compliment the others.
Old June 19, 2011   #7
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Christine,

My tomato plants all look healthy. I have small tomatoes on most things and most plants are 3 feet tall at least. Should be a good year. I am hoping to get good tomatoes and be able to save seeds for the first time in 3 years.

Greg
Old June 23, 2011   #8
gardener
Tomatovillian™

Mine are looking good too. Sprayed with Daconil for the first time this year, hoping to ward off foliar issues.

Cecelia I see you have the poster as your avatar. When are you going to release the full size poster? I want to shout & brag to my friends!
Old June 27, 2011   #9
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Hi, MAGTAGgers ... Sorry that I've been incommunicado lately, but I've really been slammed with work ... Anyway, I will get a full-size version of the poster out (with date and time info) as soon as I get a free minute. I forget, can we send PDF files thru Tomatoville, or do I need to email it directly to everybody who wants to print some for their friends?

As far as my tomato plants are concerned - I got a really late start (due to illness and too many rainy weekends) and only put them out at the end of May. A few aren't looking good at all - Black Cherry of all things, and Brandywine. I have Paul Robeson, Hungarian Heart, Stupice, Sungold, Lemon Boy, Gold Medal, Sunray, Cherokee Purple, and a Burpee's Supersteak that I got free. Nothing particularly exciting, but a lot of my more interesting seeds didn't sprout for me this year or died.

I'm wondering if my new "Lasagna gardening" raised beds (last year's soil with removal of weeds, compost on top of that, topsoil on that) isn't working as well as I thought it would. I used to double-dig my beds every year and mix in compost, but the old back ain't what it used to be, and when my friend Greg M. built me such nice frames for the bed, I wanted to try something new.
Old June 27, 2011   #10
gflynn
MAGTAG™

Cecelia,

If you have a website you could post the PDF's and put a link here.

Glad to see your still out their and that your tomatoes are growing. I had to pull two the other day because I think they showed signs of Fusarium. Very scary! They were both seed that folks had sent me this year.

I dug out all the soil around the plants. I hope that I did enough!

Greg
Old July 5, 2011   #11
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

I am having a terrible tomato season. Three of my original seedlings died, so I had to replace them with plants from a big-box nursery. The only OP varieties they had were Rutgers, Mr. Stripey, and Marglobe, so that's what I got. Lemon boy has a few small fruits on it, but that's all so far. Will have to go home and check my chart to see what I have this year!

I would love to post a PDF version of this year's poster, but I don't have a website. Anybody have one I can "borrow?"
Old July 5, 2011   #12
tam91
Tomatovillian™

If you don't find a website to borrow, here's a quickie way - just bring the poster up on your computer, then take a picture of the screen with your digital camera (no flash). It comes out better than you would think - just make sure the camera is flat on to the screen (not tipped). Then, you can post the photo here.
Old July 5, 2011   #13
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Tracy, I can save the poster as a jpg or png file ... I just have to stay within the size limits Tomatoville allows. Lemme see if that works.
Old July 5, 2011   #14
tam91
Tomatovillian™

That should work - I'd suggest JPG, just because I'm familiar with it. Once it's saved, it can generally be resized if it's too large. You do need software for that. Let me know if you need a hand.